frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Who invented toilet?

Debate Information

It’s an open debate: Who invented the modern toilet? Apocrypha holds that it was Thomas Crapper, a nineteenth-century English plumber, but the real story actually begins much earlier. In the West, while his technology was never commercialized, credit is now given to Sir John Harington, who invented a water closet in 1596 for his godmother, Queen Elizabeth I. In the East, innovation stretches back much further. Archaeologists recently unearthed a Han dynasty latrine dating to 206 BC. Complete with a running water supply, stone bowl, and an armrest, this 2,400-year-old Chinese technology looks downright modern. 
Source: Abundance, future is better than you think

aarong
  1. Live Poll

who invented toilet?

5 votes
    1. Thomas Crapper
      20.00%
    2. Sir John Harington
      40.00%
    3. 2400-year old Chinese technology
      40.00%
    4. Other
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    Sir John Harington for Queen Elizabeth I.  The other 2400 old Chinese example might have introduced visual design but I didn't think there was prove of actual plumbing 
  • PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    Thomas created the toilet. I think the ones before that were more like outhouses, and don't count.