frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The earth is flat

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    @melanielust

" Those countries wouldn’t be on “the other side” of the world, they would still be taking in light because the relative curvature of the planet allows for sunlight to extend that far."

Even so, if those countries were at the top, they would see the sun very close to the horizon. So close that they would be experiencing a southern sunset. Really, I think you're grasping at straws on this one. 

Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat
    Look at it this way.
    There's a reason Africa looks so big in that image; the camera is closer rather than far away. So if you zoomed out a little you'd still see all the countries. The sun would still be hitting them. It's all about relative curvature and the position of the observer. You could try it yourself with a globe, if you have one. If not:
    melanielust said: @Erfisflat Look at it this way.There's a reason Africa looks so big in  image; the camera is closer rather than far away. So if you zoomed out a little you'd still see all the countries. The sun would still be hitting them. It's all about relative curvature and the position of the observer. You could try it yourself with a globe, if you have one. If not: "

@melanielust I do own a globe, and did try this. While I agree that the continents got smaller with distance, but so did the globe. 
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

@melanielust
    I didn't see entire continents disappear either.  We should see a lot more of the northern hemisphere. This picture was supposedly taken during the original lunar landings, right?

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    Google knows Earth Day 2013

Wayne Dyer
  • ImbsterImbster 149 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat

@Imbster

I'm glad you agree, flat earth theory is irrefutable. There are a couple of problems that im still researching, but once you measure the flatness of water, you can then know that at least 75% of earth is flat. The full model and details are still being discussed. Haven't  looked into tectonics much. 
    Imbster

Wayne Dyer
    @Imbster
    It's great that you're researching FET though, if you find anything out, let me know. Though you shouldn't trust anyone in particular, YouTube has a very active community, and might have a good answer. I'm more into empirical research and data.
    Imbster

Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat
    Yes it's an evidence for intelligent design but generally I don't believe in intelligent design unless cancer was intelligently designed also.
    Imbster said:
    @Erfisflat
    Yes it's an evidence for intelligent design but generally I don't believe in intelligent design unless cancer was intelligently designed also.
    Yeah, I didn't believe in ID either until I figured out the earth was flat, and it was all deception to hide the dome.

Wayne Dyer
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    Imbster said:
    @Erfisflat

Well, let's see now, a guy is laying dead on the floor with a bullet hole in his head, was that I.D'd?

Or, which of the following was I.D.'d? The Honda ASIMO robot, or the far, far more complex engineer who created it?

@Evidence
    very funny but I was actually careful not to input directly man made actions or man made objects to associate with intelligent design.
    Imbster said:
    @Evidence
    very funny but I was actually careful not to input directly man made actions or man made objects to associate with intelligent design.
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/scientists-suggest-that-cancer-is-man-made/

Wayne Dyer
  • ImbsterImbster 149 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    @Erfisflat
    Yes I've read that but doesn't God influence the environment and if it were by chance of human diet wouldn't he play a role with his noodly appendages to corrupt the bodily system such that cancer happens? Other bodily systems have not experienced the fully devastating effects of cancer but why others have? It seems God plays something here as to designing and molding either an individual's particular system or cancer itself.

In no sense do see cancer is directly man-made. And since I'm assuming right now that I reject science, let's add that pollution could be something God intelligently designed also to cause destruction on man himself. I mean God has power to and made many natural things.

Imbster said:
    @Erfisflat
    Yes I've read that but doesn't God influence the environment and if it were by chance of human diet wouldn't he play a role with his noodly appendages to corrupt the bodily system such that cancer happens? Other bodily systems have not experienced the fully devastating effects of cancer but why others have? It seems God plays something here as to designing and molding either an individual's particular system or cancer itself.

In no sense do see cancer is directly man-made. And since I'm assuming right now that I reject science, let's add that pollution could be something God intelligently designed also to cause destruction on man himself. I mean God has power to and made many natural things.

Oh no, don't deny science. Deny pseudoscience. That which is mistakenly based on the scientific method.

Wayne Dyer
    Imbster said:
    @Erfisflat

pseu·do·sci·ence
    ˌso͞odōˈsīəns/
    noun
    1. a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

sci·en·tif·ic meth·od
      noun
      1. a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat
    Haha no only in the current context that I support intelligent design( I don't,context). Wouldn't intelligent design be a pseudoscience? An intelligent agent cannot be falsifiable nor testable. It is very subjective to say the least such that it is not possible to make a set (mathematical) of intelligently designed entities.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/050927voices_pseudoscience
    Imbster said:
    @Erfisflat
    Haha no only in the current context that I support intelligent design( I don't,context). Wouldn't intelligent design be a pseudoscience? An intelligent agent cannot be falsifiable nor testable. It is very subjective to say the least that it is not possible to make a set (mathematical) of intelligently designed entities.
    Not when you use the scientific method to figure out that earth is flat space is fake, and everything was put here just for us. I'm taking a giant steamer on big bangism with the flat earth and on evolution with the ridiculousness of dinosaurs. Process of elimination bruh.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes 

Wayne Dyer
    Imbster said:
    @Erfisflat
    Haha no only in the current context that I support intelligent design( I don't,context). Wouldn't intelligent design be a pseudoscience? An intelligent agent cannot be falsifiable nor testable. It is very subjective to say the least that it is not possible to make a set (mathematical) of intelligently designed entities.
    intelligent design has been so well hidden for the last 500 years that most humans can't even think for themselves anymore. We're expected to memorize the indoctrination pamphlets pay the taxes and follow the herd. Dismissing I.D. at your point wouldn't be a great idea. I'm not preaching, or suggesting that you start attending church. I'm saying this is the Great Deception, and time is running out. You, or someone you wake up may be the one that finds (scientific evidence for) The Creator.

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat
    Well I'd accept intelligent design AS a philosophical theory. I believe aesthetics plays a part in the criteria of an intelligent design and agent.
    Imbster said:
    @Erfisflat
    Well I'd accept intelligent design AS a philosophical theory. I believe aesthetics plays a part in the criteria of an intelligent agent and agent.
    Im not entirely sure what you mean by that, please elaborate. 

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflatl
    well simply intelligent design is more of a philosophical theory
    Imbster said:
    @Erfisflatl
    well simply intelligent design is more of a philosophical theory
    Well, I hope now it is a far more plausible theory to you than the alternative. 

Wayne Dyer
  • RodinonRodinon 67 Pts   -  
    I don't buy that Antarctica is an inpenetrable barrier. 

"I been to the edge, an' there I stood an' looked down 
    You know I lost a lot of friends there baby, I got no time to mess around "
    -Eddie Van Halen
    Rodinon said:
    I don't buy that Antarctica is an inpenetrable barrier. 

"I been to the edge, an' there I stood an' looked down 
    You know I lost a lot of friends there baby, I got no time to mess around "
    -Eddie Van Halen
    I don't think it's an inpenetrable barrier either. That's a great flat earth reference! Check these out.

Snap back to reality, ooops there goes gravity
    -Eminem

Space  maybe the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    -RHCP

Wayne Dyer
  • RodinonRodinon 67 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    Globetards believe they live on a cartoon spinning ball in an infinite space vacuum. The only proof these metal detectives have are cartoon composites...
    I'm really tired and read it this way after doing some research on 80's teen rebellion movies.

Erfisflat
    Rodinon said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Globetards believe they live on a cartoon spinning ball in an infinite space vacuum. The only proof these metal detectives have are cartoon composites...
    I'm really tired and read it this way after doing some research on 80's teen rebellion movies.

Lmao!

Favorite 80's documentary:

Wayne Dyer
    Rodinon said:
    Erfisflat said:

What type of research? 

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited July 2017

2 Timothy 3:1-7King James Version (KJV)

1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Luke 17:26-30King James Version (KJV)

26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

@Evidence

Wayne Dyer
  • SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    I'm not satisfied with modern scientism's explanation for the "universe". I've searched the internet for two years now and the only proof I've found for such is pseudoscience and other logical fallacies. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. What I'm looking for is actual curvature or axial rotation from independent, non-manipulated imagery. Such from government sources and space agencies are demonstrably unreliable.
    No, the earth has the shape of an imperfect sphere.  I have seen for myself the optical effect that the earth's shape has upon objects that are at a distance.  If you were to stand on the shoreline of the ocean, and watch a ship sailing away into the distance, you will see it appear to sink into the ocean, and eventually disappear out of sight.  Relatively simple geometric calculations can even show you how much of the ship that will disappear out of sight, which depends on the distance between the ship and the observer, and of course the circumference of the earth.  The earth is definitely not flat.
    Sonofason said:
    Erfisflat said:
    I'm not satisfied with modern scientism's explanation for the "universe". I've searched the internet for two years now and the only proof I've found for such is pseudoscience and other logical fallacies. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. What I'm looking for is actual curvature or axial rotation from independent, non-manipulated imagery. Such from government sources and space agencies are demonstrably unreliable.
    No, the earth has the shape of an imperfect sphere.  I have seen for myself the optical effect that the earth's shape has upon objects that are at a distance.  If you were to stand on the shoreline of the ocean, and watch a ship sailing away into the distance, you will see it appear to sink into the ocean, and eventually disappear out of sight.  Relatively simple geometric calculations can even show you how much of the ship that will disappear out of sight, which depends on the distance between the ship and the observer, and of course the circumference of the earth.  The earth is definitely not flat.
    This optical illusion was explained and refuted many posts ago. Next time bring the binos.
    SnakesOfferingApples

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Sonofason said:
    Erfisflat said:
    This optical illusion was explained and refuted many posts ago. Next time bring the binos.
    Actually I used a telescope, and I saw only the mast of the ship.  The rest of the ship was below the horizon.  It seems to me that the reflected light from the ship doesn't curve as well as the surface of the earth.  But surely I am open minded.  Perhaps you have another explanation, as your binocular suggestion fails the test.

@Sonofason

Actually, what fails the test is your anecdotal evidence. I have no way of examining your evidence and you have two different stories. It would be nice, and more credible, if you had shared some recorded data, as I have. They're all over the web, including this one, that includes a scaled down experiment with in depth explanation. 

Wayne Dyer
    @Sonofason Alternatively, you could have seen a ship that was partially obscured by a swell. Until we can examine your evidence, it cannot be determined. 

Wayne Dyer
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    Agreed, I know alot of people are going to call me for this but whatever
    Erfisflat
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    @SilverishGoldNova

For what exactly?
    Agreed, I know alot of people are going to call me for this but whatever
    You know who the ones are. It's part of the mental programming. 
    SilverishGoldNovaAlwaysCorrect

Wayne Dyer
    Sonofason said:
    @SilverishGoldNova

For what exactly?
     I think he just said the earth is flat. 

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Sonofason said:
    @SilverishGoldNova

For what exactly?
    I will admit you make an interesting argument.  However, I am not convinced.  I'll be following this thread to be sure.
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited July 2017
    @Sonofason It's actually not this thread that convinced me, it was a discussion I had with him a while ago on the buggy hell hole known as debate.org
    Erfisflat
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    @passedbill Except NASA literally admits that they do not have any real pictures of Earth, or anything in space in general. It's either an "artists conception" or a bunch of scans stitched together in photoshop
    ErfisflatWoodenWood

Sonofason said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Sonofason said:
    @SilverishGoldNova

For what exactly?
    I will admit you make an interesting argument.  However, I am not convinced.  I'll be following this thread to be sure.
    I'm curious as to why, exactly you still think you live on a ball tilted at 66.6 degrees, spinning at 1,000 mph (faster than the speed of sound) and rocketing around the sun at 66,600 mph? Aren't you a biblical literalist?

Wayne Dyer
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat Rocketing around a sun that blasts around a galaxy that blasts around the "great attractor" 

• CovenyCoveny 419 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat this is a whole thread of you insulting people who disagree with you and and ignoring evidence that proves you're wrong. From the other thread.

1) Time Zones – Me getting out more does not change that light sources “fade”, my point stands unrefuted. Refraction has nothing to do with darkness, not germane to this point. 

2) Coriolis Effect – Still have not explained the differences, point stands unrefuted.

3) Sun’s height – Your diagram does not address the suns’ height in the sky. In your diagram it stays the same height, and it wouldn’t be higher or lower in certain areas of the world. Secondly that proves a round earth rather than a flat earth, as the plane gets further away it gets closer to the earth by the viewer, even though it doesn’t really get closer to the earth in reality. My point stands unrefuted.

4) Star move – We see the arrow exactly the same way in a room, it doesn’t flip. Secondly stars appear small not big, so “refraction” that makes objects bigger has no bearing on this discussion. Regardless of the size of the light, in the distance it should fade away if it’s like you say it is. (where the stars being close to the earth is the reason they move) My point stands unrefuted.

5) Horizon – Your video show the boat “fading to obscurity” bottom first proving my point. (although all the talk about mirrors was annoying)  My point stands unrefuted.

I'll also add:

6) Magnates create globes not disks, just like everything else in nature

7) In the history of our existence why has no one ever reported seeing an edge? (there have been numerous explorations of antarctica)

8) How does GPS work?

9) How does gravity work? 

I really can not believe the lengths you are willing to go to try and prove some . You are talking about a global conspiracy that serves no purpose. You just want to spout , insult people who disagree with you, and walk around like you "won". Given the attitude of this thread and the insults you've already made, I'll start add this...

Erfisflat
    @Erfisflat Rocketing around a sun that blasts around a galaxy that blasts around the "great attractor" 

All of these supposed motions and nobody has ever proved even axial rotation. Somebody's lying. Could it be NASA, whose name literally means "to deceive " in hebrew?

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat been proven many times and many ways even though scientist and theists like you attempted in vain to prove otherwise. Just because you believe fantasy, doesn't make it true regardless of how many millions of people you call liars...
    Erfisflat
    @Coveny So, do you have any proof that we live on a ball spinning faster than the speed of sound rocketing around a sun that is blasting around a galaxy which inturn is blasting around the "great attractor" you'd like to show us?
    EmeryPearson

@Coveny

Prove that you are moving around the universe right now then! If there is something I can do to conclusively tell that I am spinning around at 1000 mph, let me know. I can prove that I'm not with a simple experiment anyone can do.

I don't think millions of people are lying only a few hundred claim to have seen the earth as a ball. THOSE are the liars. The astro-nots. I do think millions, billions have been brainwashed though. You're one of them.

Wayne Dyer
    @SilverishGoldNova I don't have any in my "pocket" but there is tons of proof out there if you are interested. I was recently in a debate about earth's escape velocity that touched on that, It difficult for the human mind to comprehend the size of earth, or the solar system or whatever. The concept of a "light year" alone is pretty mind blowing. As far as "great attractor" gravity is created by anything with enough mass, so all celestial bodies are "great attractors" in comparison to us. 
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
This Debate has been closed.

DebateIsland.com

| The Best Online Debate Experience!
© 2023 DebateIsland.com, all rights reserved. DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Experience! Debate topics you care about in a friendly and fun way. Come try us out now. We are totally free!

Contact us

customerservice@debateisland.com
Terms of Service

Get In Touch