frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Amazon Privacy issues - Is Amazon becoming a Big Brother?

Debate Information

hmm, with Amazon entering brick and mortar business,now trying to prevent shoppoers from comparison shopping in physical stores, and all of its privacy-concerning devices like alexa..is Amazon becoming George Orwell Big Brother with nightmare privacy issues emerging?
http://gizmodo.com/just-in-time-amazon-patents-method-to-prevent-comparis-1796195563

With alexa on many devices and Amazon exploring to enter a mobile phone business, should we refresh our copy of George Orwell 1984 book?
joecavalrydropouttherep
  1. Live Poll

Amazon Privacy issues - Is Amazon becoming a Big Brother?

6 votes
    1. I am concerned about Amazon growing influence as it relates to my privacy
      83.33%
    2. No concerns, let Amazon have my privacy and send me subliminal messages in my sleep :)
      16.67%
    3. I am currently not concerned, but can see how it can become a future concern
        0.00%
WhyTrump - a good question

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, I'm not concerned. 

Amazon records only the command you make and sends it over for Alexa to understand and execute. You can delete this command recording and play it back at anytime through the Amazon echo alexa app.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • dropoutdropout 39 Pts   -  
    Yes, the information is being held in their servers. This can be used and sold to government agencies and other companies.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    For years, we were warned about rfid chip implants, telescreens in 1984, etc. Citizens were in an uproar. No way was this ever going to happen in 'Murica, land of the free. With the advent of the cell phone, none of that is needed. We carry a tracking and recording device willingly, everywhere we go. Camera and mic pointed at our faces nearly all day everyday. 1984 is here.
    therep
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • thereptherep 61 Pts   -  
    @erfisflat , there are many legal obligations companies need to make in order to be sound and not brought to court when it comes to Snowden etc.
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    Amazon is a company that's all about convenience based off of desires that stem from psychological needs...but now that they've bought amazon, they're probably going to try and directly convenience a physical need, which can be potentially dangerous. If they become that one big company that has branches covering every basic aspect of life, then they could have unimaginable influence comparable to big brother. I honestly thought Google would be the one who ended up controlling this much, but maybe not...At any rate right now it's probably too early to make that call.