frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Cannabis

Debate Information

"A new Quinnipiac poll released Thursday found 71 percent of Americans would oppose a federal crackdown on legal marijuana, and 93 percent are in favor of medical marijuana, according to the survey of 1,323 voters nationwide."

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/23/quinnipiac-poll-2017-marijuana-legalization-federal-crackdown/74227/

Why is the government so opposed to the majority? Aren't we a Government of the people, by the people, for the people? 

Can someone give me a good reason that i can't pick up a pack of cannabis cigs at the gas station around the corner? Why shouldn't cannabis be legalized for everyone?
melefnorthsouthkoreaSilverishGoldNovapassedbillshumer_8282
  1. Live Poll

Legalize cannabis?

14 votes
    1. 100%
      64.29%
    2. For medical only!
      28.57%
    3. No way!
        7.14%
Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• melefmelef 69 Pts   -  
    No, keep it legal.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    melef said:
    No, keep it legal.
    Unfortunately, it's currently illegal in my residence. 
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Legalizing it will resolve a lot of society cost and unnecessary criminal activity.  
    Erfisflat1Hacker0
    Live Long and Prosper
    agsr said:
    Legalizing it will resolve a lot of society cost and unnecessary criminal activity.  
    My state is still convicting felons for two time offenders. Got caught a second time and the judge ordered the prosecution to drop the misdemeanor charges and recharge me with a felony, it being my second time. Haven't heard from anyone since then. First time I had a 1/4 oz. Last time I had 1/2 joint.

Wayne Dyer
  • DavidDebatesDavidDebates 32 Pts   -  
    Free markets = free people. If they aren't messing with other people's rights, they have the right to do unhealthy stuff to their body. That's why cigs and beer are legalized too.
    Erfisflat
    Cannabis is far more healthy than beer or tobacco, do you agree @DavidDebates?

Wayne Dyer
  • DavidDebatesDavidDebates 32 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat

Probably it's on par with the other addictive substances. Marijuana's main problem is its addictiveness is off the charts. The fact that you can't overdose doesn't make it harmless.
    @Erfisflat

Probably it's on par with the other addictive substances. Marijuana's main problem is its addictiveness is off the charts. The fact that you can't overdose doesn't make it harmless.
    Speaking from experience, it's not as nearly addictive as even sugar, I mean sure, I won't turn it down if it's offered and I don't have it, but I'm not taking my flat screen to the pawn shop like someone I know who is addicted to pain killers. The government quietly admitted that it cures cancer.
    northsouthkorea

Wayne Dyer
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    @erfisflat , marijuana is a killer. This substance can kill babies and above if not more as well. It's addictive and very dangerous. Some states allow the use of the drug, but you have to remember that it is a lethal drug.
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
  • missmedicmissmedic 43 Pts   -  

The single biggest detriment to the individual or family unit concerning marijuana use is law enforcement. When you make something illegal you put the control of the something in the hands of criminals.

Erfisflat
    @erfisflat , marijuana is a killer. This substance can kill babies and above if not more as well. It's addictive and very dangerous. Some states allow the use of the drug, but you have to remember that it is a lethal drug.
    You'd literally have to smoke a telephone pole sized joint to OD from cannabis. Your statement is unfounded. You been watching reefer madness?

Wayne Dyer
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    There's no reason to keep marijuana illegal, especially with it's proven many medical benefits. 
    Erfisflat
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    There's no reason to keep marijuana illegal, especially with it's proven many medical benefits. 
    Yet, despite all the overwhelming evidence showing the many medical benefits, big brother has to protect us from it, by putting us in a cage if we decide to turn away from the pharmacist and get help from the farmacist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_cannabis_from_Schedule_I_of_the_Controlled_Substances_Act
    SilverishGoldNova

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat plus a ton of drugs that actually kill are kept legal. 
    Erfisflat
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    @Erfisflat Did I mention the kid who was placed in rehab, subjected to daily drug searches and expelled from school because of a maple leaf? 
    Erfisflat

• RollTide420RollTide420 73 Pts   -  
    All drugs should be legal. People do them regardless, the question is do we want them giving their money to someone trying to run an honest business, or to the drug cartels who use their profits to fund actual crime such as murder and theft. Not to mention black market goods are usually sold by the same people at the top regardless of the good. So the people making the most profit off of prohibition are the same people selling sex slaves. Prohibition literally funds sex slavery. 0 have died from smoking weed, thousands die every year from prohibition, more than the hard drugs being prohibited. Not to mention that those hard drugs could actually be anything on the black market. How much of our heroin epidemic could be lessened if heroin addicts actually knew how much of what they had was actually heroin and how strong it was? Some people say "but do you want to give kids the impression drugs are ok?" My answer is first off drugs are medicine, its drug abuse that is bad, not drugs, and second off teaching children personal responsibility beyond merely following laws is part of parenting. Legalization is not the same as promoting use. However, more importantly, I would much rather have a kid who tries drugs, than to have a kid sold as a sex slave. I'm not saying drugs are good, but they are not anywhere close to as bad as sex slavery, and prohibition funds sex slavery.
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
  • passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    Cannabis is dangerous and lethal at times. The drug should be used under full supervision by a doctor or medical professional at all times and can only be used for medical purposes and a stress reliever when the stress is large and impacts the persons health.
    Erfisflat
  • RollTide420RollTide420 73 Pts   -  
    @passedbill The only time cannabis is dangerous is when you get caught with and the only times its lethal is when you piss off someone who sells it, because the black market is a violent place. Marijuana prohibition is more lethal than marijuana itself.

Also, why is the doctor's place to decide if my stress it is a big enough impact on my health to use cannabis. I don't care what my doctor says, taking a bunch of pills for a bunch of systems is far more unhealthy than taking one natural medicine that can cure my stomach problems, my motion sickness and my anxiety problems all in one. I am a grown adult the idea that I need close supervision to take my medicine ridiculous.

Quite frankly its normal for adults to want to feel a high and marijuana is one of the safest ways to do it. Its far safer than alcohol, or even too much caffeine, so what's with doing it for non-medical purposes?
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
    @passedbill There is no evidence that cannabis is harmful, that's just an excuse to keep marijuana illegal and the actual dangerous drugs legal. On the contrary there is a ton of proof that it is beneficial, but of course we have to protected by being put in a giant cage if we dare stop taking pharmaceuticals
    ErfisflatWoodenWood

• 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    This is why the government made weed illegal:
    Q: Who do we hate?
    A: Blacks, hippies, and Mexicans.
    Q: What stereotype do they all have in common?
    A: They do drugs.
    Q: What drugs?
    A: Mexicans and hippies weed. Blacks do heroin.
    Q: How can we use this to our advantage?
    A: Mexicans and blacks are stereotypically violent, but hippies are anti-war. But since they do weed like Mexicans we can criminalize them too.

Don't believe me? Here is an actual quote:
    "You want to know what this was really all about? The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Yup. This was an actual quote from the people who made weed illegal themselves. Link:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nixon-drug-war-racist_us_56f16a0ae4b03a640a6bbda1

They tried to get scientific support to ban weed, but couldn't find anything wrong with weed. That was when they began the propaganda campaign against weed. 

Weed has caused zero reported deaths, unlike alcohol and tobacco. The government still supporting the law that made weed illegal is pretty racist against Mexicans, due to the fact that they have no evidence, but the racist propaganda that was made. 

I think weed should be illegal for kids since there is actual valid evidence that it messes up the brain development process, and causes memory problems, but for adults, it should be fully legal. It isn't even that addictive.
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
    As @RollTide420 said, Cannabis is only dangerous if you piss of someone in the black market. 

• shumer_8282shumer_8282 3 Pts   -  
    Cannabis should only be used for medical purposes due to its danger.
    Danger? The only thing in danger is this soft baked cookie.

Wayne Dyer
    What danger? Besides making big pharma lose money
    1Hacker0