frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should the school day be extended past its current boundaries?

Debate Information

I believe that the school day should be extended. The U.S. is 23rd in reading, 24th in science, and 30th in math, according to 2015 average PISA scores. With the resources that are available to us, should we not be able to do better? Now is the time to catch up. By extending the school day, we can bring those scores up to standard with the top scores in the world. Also, extending the school offers many other benefits, such as: teachers would be able to plan the day with other teachers, students would be able to spend time on difficult subjects, students being able to do extra-curricular activities that students would not be able to do outside of school, and would be able to keep students out of trouble.

I want to hear your opinion!

meleonaawmeshotyoenorthsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Should the school day be extended?

10 votes
    1. Yes
      30.00%
    2. No
      70.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
44%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I would argue for the opposite - we should encourage kids more computer assisted self learning, not more  time in the classroom. 
    Check out related debate on DebateIsland
    https://shar.es/1FzAd8
    meleonaaw
    Live Long and Prosper
  • meleonaawmeleonaaw 20 Pts   -  
    I agree with @agsr , the education system nation wide or even globally needs to be changed based on the current tike with all of this technology we have now days. Maybe the president should address that.
    agsr
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @meleonaaw, I agree as well to many aspects of this, but I wouldn't want Trump get imvolved in our education system.  I don't think he is a good role model to do that.
    meshotyoe
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • meshotyoemeshotyoe 18 Pts   -  
    I agree with @whytrump .
  • eric_the_warlorderic_the_warlord 26 Pts   -  
    Absolutely not, personally I don't think the amount of classroom time is going to help considering everybody goes at a different pace. The whole American education system needs to be reworked. There are kids with depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues simply because of school. It's too overwhelming. I think the scores for us would be much higher if school wasn't so pressured onto us. I agree with y'all @agsr @WhyTrump.
    northsouthkorealove2debate
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    Longer school days are not the problem whatsoever.  If you look at the states and how they are ranked, this will give clarification.  https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education.  Massachusetts in #1.  Why?  http://blogs.wgbh.org/on-campus/2016/4/24/how-massachusetts-schools-went-middle-pack-first-place/.  It all boils down to how much we put into schooling.  We could have shorter days and be better off, but we need to make our curriculum better.  Now SC at #50.  http://www.postandcourier.com/news/south-carolina-ranks-last-in-education-in-u-s-news/article_5a7d26c8-fe9d-11e6-9644-2bab813ed6f7.html.  I also think many states get it wrong because of how much standardized testing is ruining us.  Basically the entire school year is just getting kids ready for this test just so they can get good numbers to get more money.  I have seen it many times and my little cousins admitted that it is much more stressful even though they tell you results don't matter and to try your best.  This creates stress in the school and then it becomes worse when they have to go home and continue studying.  

Having longer days would make it worse and would kill family time.  Look at kids.  7:30 to 3:00.  School.  Chores, homework, dinner, and then go to bed at 10:00 or 11:00 to wake up and do it again.  There is no time for families to connect due to the sheer amount of work and time needed to put into it.  It needs to be made shorter and states need to put more effort into supporting our schools.  
    northsouthkorea
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    No, this could bring too much stress to children in the schools.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @SuperSith89, exactly.  Its not about kids working longer hours and working harder..but smarter!  I will argue we should de prioritize what kids needs to learn, and let them learn it well.  This generic learning for sake of learning is not effective.  
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    @WhyTrump  Yes!  Another point I meant to cover.  How many college aged kids know how to balance a checkbook?  Know what a 401k is?  Have you ever watched some of the videos where people ask people elementary questions and they can't answer them.  We are forcing kids to learn everything we think they need, and then those who struggle in certain areas are discarded and left to fend for themselves.  I suck at math, but excel at literature.  My mom homeschooled me and made sure she focused on my reading instead of math.  Of course I learned the basics, but name an everyday job where you need use linear inequalities?  That was the reason I failed the math ECA 3 times.  I beat the literature one the first try.  We need to focus on teaching kids what they need to know for what they excel in and get them ready for the future.  

agsrariadneanglin
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @SuperSith89, excellent point.  Thank you for sharing your story.  Focus is key.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I vote for shorter days and compression of curriculum, coupled with elearning options
  • ariadneanglinariadneanglin 2 Pts   -  
    I oppose, I think that there are more effective way to teach kids than sticking them in a classroom for more hours. What we can do is involve and relate their studies in their personal lives. Making sure they they use it in their everyday lives, practice and understanding the concept. Also Ive taken note that the students in countries with the highest scores, also have some of the biggest rates for sadness and suicide. Which leads me to belive that their learning environment, isn't every enjoyable.