frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is it time to take a sick day for mental health?

Debate Information

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/calling-in-sick-for-mental-health-work-job-employee/
 A woman's tweet about a sick day "to focus on my mental health," and her boss's response, spark discussion about depression on the job.  The article advocates that it's a good idea, but I will argue that most workplaces will not be as understanding and it will likely back fire. Maybe your manager will seem supportive, but itbis likely going to result in passive aggressive behavior from your manager and coworkers.  Just not worth it taking the risk of jeopardizing your career, just take a vacation day or pretend to be sick :)

northsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Is it time to take a sick day for mental health?

12 votes
    1. Yes - good idea
      66.67%
    2. No - bad idea
      33.33%
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• SnakesOfferingApplesSnakesOfferingApples 121 Pts   -   edited July 2017
    I mean you should relax to maintain your mental health once in a while, but mental illnesses are typically lasting illnesses. However, if the whole idea of this to get a mental check up then yeah, definitely should happen
    BrainSocks

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ChangeMyViewChangeMyView 61 Pts   -  
    I think it's a great idea.  As long as it doesn't get abused, an occasional mental health day is helpful to both parties and will result in more productive workforce.  Nice article.  If you work in a place that would discourage such a thing then maybe you should look for another job longer term.
    northsouthkoreaBrainSocks
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    Mental health is very important and corporate and non-corporate jobs should provide the ability for law a day if for mental health.
    agsrBrainSocks
  • CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    I think it's a good idea from health and productivity perspective - that wasnt the debate. The question is the risk of backlash from manager and coworkers
  • drodgersdrodgers 35 Pts   -  
    Sounds like a horrible idea.

You can't reliably distinguish between mental anguish and personal desire.

With a "sick" day you usually have to show that you were indeed sick.  

Even though the bar is low, it's still there.

If we start granting mental health days, you simply have to say, "didn't feel like coming in today."

That's no way to engender confidence with your boss, co-workers or employees who had to pickup the slack because you didn't "feel" like working today.
  • BrainSocksBrainSocks 39 Pts   -  
    Taking days off for such reasons is great--so long as not everyone is breaking at the same time. 

I think about this with a chorus singing a long-lasting note. It's not that everyone holds the note the entire time--they take turns taking a breath and then continuing again. 

Just like jobs/careers with shifts: Don't need a ton of people working at once, but the service can't operate with too few people either
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    I think specifically in regard to natural instances where a person is depressed because they are overworked they should have time to pursue time off.

However my say in any of that is irrelavent as Jesus gives people time off in life.

Instead of viewing circumstances in life where your life drastically changes stop trying to keep up with society.

The entire economic system in America focuses on production and not the health of the workers.

Not everyone can sustain working long periods or hours.

Back a long time ago, in ancient America there use to be Saturday and Sunday when people had time off.

America's greed changed that, and now people get one day off.

Considering Yahweh worked for six days and rested on the seventh day his supreme judgement dictates a person only needs one day off so I'm wrong.

When Jesus created us I don't think that he intended us to work for such long hours however I have to read the Bible to find out if I'm wrong.

I notice that females hate the idea of working. Males work in the pursuit of attracting a female's attention.

America has I'm blanced the nature of people for the sake of production.

America doesn't care about workers it has some dumbasses agenda to work people to their death.

I think everyone should have time off to socialize during the daytime.

I think people should work three hours a day have 2 hrs off for socializing and maybe finish whatever work in the day there might be for that day.

Would America be poor? Probably however would people freak out I have no idea.

The social influence of sexual harrasment etc has become a profound problem because it's a buzzword.

America's in decline. 

The birth rates have dropped below the replacement threshold.

The current generation of America is America's last generation.

America is in a state of disrepair.

It's going to eventually fail.

If I were you I'd read the Bible more often.

Find a place to live that's cheap. Work somewhere where you could afford basic necessities and stop trying to be a millionaire.

Any dream about working hard and becoming wealthy you should forget.

America was not designed to make you wealthy it was designed to make you a production worker.

You only get one life. Bills prevent you from being wealthy. 

Don't take large loans with high interest. Live within your means and find a good Christian girl. Not some girl who gos to church whose going to run you into poverty, but an actual Christian women whose born of Jesus Christs perfect spirit.

Jesus is Lord.

Plaffelvohfen