frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are we using Illegal Immigrants like Slaves?

Debate Information

therepnorthsouthkoreaagsrlover1919billpassedcjea_icon
  1. Live Poll

?

18 votes
    1. Yes
      27.78%
    2. No
      72.22%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• shumer_8282shumer_8282 3 Pts   -  
    Yes, in some ways. Although, they are most likely getting paid and are not "that" abused.
    agsrlover1919
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Well, according to the lawsuit of 2014 they were abused and treated like slaves. The law suit was very specifc.  Getting paid - $1 day..thats as close as slavery as it gets.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    No but we should.
    therep
  • thereptherep 61 Pts   -  
    No, we are not using illegal immigrants as slaves. They are beinf fed and some if not all are getting free or paid benefits.
    northsouthkorea
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    No, they may have some benefits and are ucreently getting paid or most of their population.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    No, they may have some benefits and are ucreently getting paid or most of their population.

What?
    agsrlover1919
  • agsrlover1919agsrlover1919 17 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew , illegal immigrants are not being used as slaves. They are in most cases receiving money and they came into the US illegally.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew , illegal immigrants are not being used as slaves. They are in most cases receiving money and they came into the US illegally.
    I understood the proposition.
    It was the spelling and grammatical presentation of northsouthkorea's statement that really caught my eye.
    I still haven't come across a definition yet for "ucreently".
    billpassed
  • billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew , yes, I understand your point regarding grammar and spelling.

Illegal immigrants have not been used as slaves in any remote possible way. They came into this country illegally and are making money in most cases.
    cjea_icon
  • cjea_iconcjea_icon 7 Pts   -  
    I agree with @billpassed . Illegal immigrants came to the country in an illegal manner and are still getting paid in the country.
  • @agsr - Illegal migrants do have lower standards of living, but I might sound like an asshole for saying this but what did they expect? If someone moves here illegally not only do we not know where they are, who they are, and where they come from. But they can also commit crimes and are ripe for exploitation. It's as if I make a conscious decision to marry an alcoholic, then should I be surprised that such a choice would lead to an unhappy life? No, if people make themselves vulnerable by choice, they reap the consequences.
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    Illegal immigrants in Mexico are treated much worse than in America. Here they receive welfare, permission to stay, jobs, etc. Removing all these things would deter them from coming to America. I don't know why we don't just put them all in a bus and drive them over to Mexico lol.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @1Hacker0 ,

The reason we don't just put them all on a  bus is because we've tried that for...oh I dunno like 30 years now...probably longer as that's just a guess.  They just come back.  The issue though isn't really that there's not a wall (I like the wall idea though), the real issue is that there are politicians who have literally paved the way for illegal immigrants in this country.  There's systems in place FOR the illegal immigrants, there's ways for them to thrive (Relative to their homeland of course) and survive here indefinitely on the possibility that they'll either never be caught or eventually they'll just be given amnesty...either way is fine for them because both options are 10 times better than going back home.

What we really need is to implement and harshly enforce immigration laws here in the U.S.  I'm going to sound like the here but if you're illegal and you cut your finger off...there shouldn't be taxpayer backed medical treatment waiting to help you.  If you're an illegal immigrant and you give birth here in the U.S. and then apply for social security, medicaid, WIC, TANF and the other subsidized American citizen tax-payer paid programs....you shouldn't get it and neither should your anchor baby.  And just like all the new laws that go into effect, it only takes a few well placed criminal charges to make everyone realize that the U.S. isn't playing when it comes to enforcement...so all those businesses that hire illegal immigrants...they go on the chopping block and I mean HEAVY.  Start introducing jail time for employers who hire illegal immigrants and heavy fines for employees who have knowledge that they're working with an illegal immigrant...guess what you won't see in the workforce anymore?  Once the incentives to stay are gone or are outweighed by the penalties for being here...people will leave the same way they got here.   America is for Americans, no one here should be paying the way for an illegal immigrant who's breaking the law, it's ethically wrong.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• yuno44907yuno44907 33 Pts   -  
    For being citizen of Sweden you must live there for 15 years without work permit, without an ID card. How can you live in a country without getting a job and without being deported?

Migrants working in un registered jobs for free and after they doing this more than 5 year, they can become citizen. And why muslims are allowed to enter non muslim countries, are you or insane?
  • Anyone who comes to the United States illegally has violated American Law. In order to enforce this law, we needed to make sure that there were as few reasons to come illegally as possible. To that end, we established a law that you need to be in the country legally in order to work in this country legally. In order to get around this; illegal immigrants will often choose low paying jobs that people typically don't pay attention to. This is their choice. It's nothing like slavery.
    agsrSilverishGoldNova
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited September 2017
    When I was a kid, my neighbor next door was an old lady living on a very fixed income.  She offered to pay me 5 dollars a week to fill her bird feeder, sweep off her porch and to trim her hedges.  There was no tax forms, she didn't cut me a check and she didn't deduct social security or FICA from my payment.  All-together it probably took me about 5hrs/week for all the work so that was less than a dollar/hr at 7 days/week.  It wasn't slavery because I didn't have to do it...at any time I could've just quit and there would be no repercussions.

Hiring illegal immigrants and paying them less than the legal minimum wage isn't slavery...it's illegal to hire them in the first place so it's a crime but it's not slavery.  They don't have to do it.
    WhyTrump
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk, nice story.  True that they dont have to do it...but...we are takimg advantage of their situation and have them work like slaves so they can feed their family.  The debate and article was not if they are slaves, but "like" slaves. 
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    This lawsuit has no merit. They could always have gone back to Mexico.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @WhyTrump

Then no, we aren't using them like slaves.  We aren't keeping them here against their will and we certainly didn't force them into the situation they are in.

• subdeosubdeo 15 Pts   -  
    No, according to the literal definition of slavery, illegal immigrants are not slaves. It is just liberal hype.
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    The real question is: Why aren't we treating them like slaves?
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    @agsr - So Trump who is attempting to stop illegal aliens is responsible for them huh? Always interesting to know what liberals are thinking. Or in the case of liberals - un-thinking.