frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Christopher Columbus, national hero or not?

Debate Information

In my research into the shape of the earth, I happen across a globetard or two who still claims that Christopher Columbus proved the earth was round by "discovering America".

Most everyone knows of Chris Columbus, the man who "discovered America, and proved the ball earth". Fact is, Chris never stepped foot in North America-ever. 

Upon further investigation, Columbus was quite the douchebag. 

Columbus the thief

Columbus offered a reward of 10,000 maravedis or about $540 (a sailor’s yearly salary) for the first person to discover such land. Though another sailor saw the land in October 1492, Columbus retracted the reward he had previously offered because he claimed he had seen a dim light in the west.

Columbus lied about the native Americans 

At first, Columbus described the native Americans with admiration and pleasantry.

“They … brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things… They willingly traded everything they owned…  They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features…. They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane… . They would make fine servants…. With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want.” Christopher Columbus 

After several months in the Caribbean, on January 13, 1493 two Natives were murdered during trading. Columbus, who had otherwise described the Natives as gentle people wrote “(they are) evil and I believe they are from the island of Caribe, and that they eat men.” He also described them as “savage cannibals, with dog-like noses that drink the blood of their victims.”

Columbus and his men, rapists and murderers

When Columbus left back for Spain, he left 39 of his men, who undoubtedly continued raping, pillaging and murdering Americans, because when he returned, they were dead. With over 1,000 soldiers in tow, Americans were hunted with dogs,

Raped, pillaged and murdered by the thousands. Reported close friend of Columbus, Michele de Cuneo wrote the first disturbing account of a relation between himself and a Native female gift given to him by Columbus.

“While I was in the boat I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral gave to me, and with whom, having taken her into my cabin, she being naked according to their custom, I conceived desire to take pleasure. I wanted to put my desire into execution but she did not want it and treated me with her finger nails in such a manner that I wished I had never begun. But seeing that (to tell you the end of it all), I took a rope and thrashed her well, for which she raised such unheard of screams that you would not have believed your ears. Finally we came to an agreement in such manner that I can tell you that she seemed to have been brought up in a school of harlots.”

Several accounts arose of the atrocities committed by Chris and co. including but not limited to Spaniards testing the sharpness of blades on Native people by cutting them in half, beheading them in contests and throwing Natives into vats of boiling soap. There are also accounts of suckling infants being lifted from their mother’s breasts by Spaniards, only to be dashed headfirst into large rocks.

Bartolome De Las Casas, a former slave owner who became Bishop of Chiapas, described these exploits. “Such inhumanities and barbarisms were committed in my sight as no age can parallel,” he wrote. “My eyes have seen these acts so foreign to human nature that now I tremble as I write.”

More...

Chris Columbus used native Americans as dog food

Chris provided native sex slaves for his men

joecavalryyolostideSilverishGoldNova
  1. Live Poll

Christopher Columbus, hero?

11 votes
    1. Yes
      27.27%
    2. No
      72.73%
Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, he believed in the the shape of Earth, and was correct.
    ErfisflatCYDdhartaSilverishGoldNova
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    CYDdharta

Wayne Dyer
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    I have no way of believing the "greatness" or "horror" of Columbus's deeds without doing my own independent research.  The video by Vincent Schilling that Earflat posted offers some horrible shocking accusations, which may or may not be true.   The controversy regarding Columbus escalates. 

http://nypost.com/2017/08/30/vandals-behead-christopher-columbus-statue-in-westchester/
    Erfisflat
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  

Italian-American leaders defend Christopher Columbus statue

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/italian-american-leaders-defend-christopher-columbus-statue-article-1.3439897

I would say that we should keep the statues. It represents more than Columbus himself, and while there are ayestions about some of his acts, he represents the accomplishments of Italian-American community.
    ErfisflatPogue
  • yuno44907yuno44907 33 Pts   -  
    If you dont kill humans, Earth gets overpopulated and we dont want humans, they made by extraterrestials, humans are insane and also lazy and they get bored. @Erfisflat
    yolostide
  • It does not matter what Columbus has done. Columbus led to the formation of the strongest and most technologically advanced country on the planet, USA. The shape of the Earth be damned, the United States cured dozens of horrendous diseases, stopped genocides, ended wars, also ruined a good part of the atmosphere BUT still contributed hugely to the well being of our planet and many many people in it.
    yolostide
  • yolostideyolostide 95 Pts   -  
    Columbus discovered North America, but at the same time committed many horrible acts against Native Americans that were living there. I believe that the holiday should be replaced.
    ErfisflatDawnBringerRivenSilverishGoldNovaNope
  • Have you seen Adam Ruins what you've learned in school? (According to the episode) Christopher Columbus was an (in the episode, Columbus thinks the Earth is shaped like a pear, which might not actually reflect his beliefs) and slaughtered the natives. It wasn't that they believed they'd fall of an edge by going west, but rather that it would take too long to reach India, them having no idea America existed, assuming nothing but ocean. Christopher was only able to get funded for the trip because they were desperate for India's trade.
    It does not matter what Columbus has done. Columbus led to the formation of the strongest and most technologically advanced country on the planet, USA. The shape of the Earth be damned, the United States cured dozens of horrendous diseases, stopped genocides, ended wars, also ruined a good part of the atmosphere BUT still contributed hugely to the well being of our planet and many many people in it.

So, the genocide of the native Americans is ok...
    SilverishGoldNovaPogue

Wayne Dyer
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    People thought the Earth was round way before Columbus. Columbus thought the Earth was smaller then it was which is why he thought he could sail around the sea and end up in India. Today we think he was wrong. But he was the first European to discoverer the Americas first right? Well yea if you don't include the Viking who found it 1150 years before he ever got their. And theirs the fact he never even found North America. His crew killed at least 100 natives for no good reason. He started what would lead to the fall of the China's economy and the disease killing millions of natives. A person who was wrong about his thoughts about the Earth, fails to find the Americas first and does not even find North America, the Death of many natives and the failure of an economy a hero? I think a National Hero is a bit of a over statement. 
    SilverishGoldNovaPogue
  • He killed and raped millions of people for gold. Despite this there are many statues around the world for him and a city in Ohio was named after him
    Pogue
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    In some states they have replace Columbus day with indigenous day to recognize the natives and their sacrifices. All US states should do this.
    Pogue
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    Hitler killed a bunch of Jews. The Jews realized that they can't assimilate into Europe. Then they go to Palestine, and create a great nation for themselves. Does that mean Hitler was a good guy? NO. Columbus may have caused America to rise, but he committed genocide. 

Some people argue that morals back then were different, but I'm pretty confident that genocide was still immoral. 
    SilverishGoldNovaPogue
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    yolostide Um... you should check your facts. He never made it to North America. He only made it to central and South America and the Caribbean islands. : )
  • Nope said:
    People thought the Earth was round way before Columbus. Columbus thought the Earth was smaller then it was which is why he thought he could sail around the sea and end up in India. Today we think he was wrong. But he was the first European to discoverer the Americas first right? Well yea if you don't include the Viking who found it 1150 years before he ever got their. And theirs the fact he never even found North America. His crew killed at least 100 natives for no good reason. He started what would lead to the fall of the China's economy and the disease killing millions of natives. A person who was wrong about his thoughts about the Earth, fails to find the Americas first and does not even find North America, the Death of many natives and the failure of an economy a hero? I think a National Hero is a bit of a over statement. 
    He killed and raped millions of people for gold. Despite this there are many statues around the world for him and a city in Ohio was named after him
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)