frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph

Debate Information

An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/07/new-artificial-intelligence-can-tell-whether-youre-gay-or-straight-from-a-photograph

An illustrated depiction of facial analysis technology similar to that used in the experiment

That is really scary to think that an AI alg againsh linkedin and Facebook can determine that with high degree of accuracy.  That can lead to discrimination and can cause major social issues.  

It is hard to think how such technology may evolve once freely available, but I think there needs to be some regulatory or ethical framework for use.
islander507joecavalryale5
  1. Live Poll

Should there be restriction on using such technology?

5 votes
    1. Yes
      80.00%
    2. No
      20.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    That sounds pretty incredible and dangerous. I think that restrictions need to be put in place, as otherwise it can lead to unfair discrimination or even personal danger.
    joecavalry
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    The restoecirions should be put in place due to accuracy and the purposes of testing.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @joecavalry, I assume that by "restoecirions" you meant restrictions ... and if so I also agree.  The initial technology should be relatively easy to control of it's just this one software.  A bigger concern will be once algorithm can be delpolyed broadly, there will be no way to control that.  
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney