frame

Violence Solves Everything

Opening Argument

VaulkVaulk 271 Pts
edited September 9 in Philosophy
Too often in common conversation the phrase "Violence doesn't solve anything" is used as an argument against the use of force or violence to achieve a goal.  Unforunately for the pushers of this idea it's simply not true.  We can't even have an honest discussion about the establishment of our Country (U.S.) without having an honest discussion about Violence.

My opinion is superbly aligned with Robert A. Heinlein who said

"Anyone who clings to the historically untrue and thoroughly immoral doctrine that violence never settles anything I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger PigeonViolence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms."

Violence is not only a natural part of our Human History, but it's essential to our survival.  I'm not suggesting that we need to religiously embrace violence like the Spartans but an honest look at Violence would, in my opinion, help us to understand ourselves better.  More importantly though, I think we need to stop teaching and preaching the fraudulent idea that Violence is wrong or that it "Doesn't solve anything" becase it's dishonest at best.
ale5natbaronsjoecavalrynorthsouthkorea
  1. Does violence solve anything?

15 votes
    1. Yes
      53.33%
    2. No
      46.67%
"If there's no such thing as a stupid question then what kind of questions do stupid people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stupid".

Arguments

• @Vaulk, Your argument is reasonable and I mostly agree.  In fact, our country is based on violence. It was by violence against native Americans we even live here today.  
    SilverishGoldNovaVaulknatbarons
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • While violence is recommended to use against violence, I wouldn't say it solves everything. Teamwork's also necessary to accomplish tasks. Whether to eliminate cancer, to build a product, or completing any team activity.
    Vaulknatbarons
  • @PowerPikachu21,

Well said.  While your statement is correct, I'm going to take the alternate side of the looking glass and say that we're trying to "Eliminate" cancer...not "Make peace with it".  One cannot build anything without damaging something else whether it be cutting down a tree, forcefully destroying vegetation in order to make room for buildings or crushing something into a finer resource for mixing with another.  Granted not all things require violence but I would contend that in some way, shape or form that violence can indeed solve everything.  Perhaps not to the degree that we want though.
    natbaronsjoecavalryPowerPikachu21
    "If there's no such thing as a stupid question then what kind of questions do stupid people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stupid".

• The country was built on violence and genocide, particularly towards the native Americans who once dominated the country. The 2nd amendment and others also defend violence.
    northsouthkorea
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • America was built on the killings of Native Americans and violence. It can't be removed from American history or American circuits. America can't remove violence from the modern day country due to certain amendments.
  • I don't think making games has any violence when making it (other than a few arguments). But yeah, violence is a huge part of humanity and will never go away even though many teachers and anti-bullying groups would wish.
  • " will never go away"

I'd like to think we will move past violence someday.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.