frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are you part of 10% that will give up a car for Uber or Lyft?

Debate Information

10 percent of Americans trading in a car plan to use Uber and Lyft instead of buying a new one

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/25/10-percent-of-americans-trading-in-a-car-plan-to-use-uber-and-lyft-instead-of-buying-a-new-one.html

northsouthkoreaaarong
  1. Live Poll

Are you part of 10% that will give up a car for Uber or Lyft?

11 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Maybe when it becomes self driving, but giving up a car to always wait for an uber ride, takes away flexibility in many cases.  I don't see myself giving up my car, and believe that 10% is overstated.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    Car ownership still makes sense, except big cities with parking issues, but even then many prefer to keep as a luxury item.
    I can see convenience of Uber, but are you really going to call uber everytime to go grocery shopping?  Unless of course you just call freshDirect.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    I'd prefer my car over Uber drivers. Don't trust them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKHpwASCghI
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • In Kansas City, (where I live) it wouldn't be a feasible mode of transportation because of the distances we often have to travel. Owning a car is the best thing I can do in regard to transportation economically and logically. 
  • Uber has been gaing traction due to all the reports going around about them and the unsatisifaction of drivers.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    I am the opposite: I am shopping for a car currently, and I have never owned one! Using Uber/Lyft might be more economically efficient most of the time, but driving your own car is much more convenient, and it makes you very mobile, as you do not have to take the public transport and private taxis' routes into account and can make your own. In addition, when going long distances, Uber/Lyft becomes non-viable, not to mention that I would not adore the idea of being stuck in a car with a stranger for many hours straight. Finally, as some commentators mentioned, in many situations you just have to own a car for everyday driving; for example, when the closest grocery store is 15 miles away, and you have to drive 100 miles one way to work every day.

Even all those factors aside, the inconvenience of having to correct my schedule in order to use Uber/Lyft would be too much for me long-term. Every time I used Uber or a conventional taxi, I would have to meet the driver in the specified place at the specified time. Sometimes they would be late. Sometimes they would be at the wrong place. Sometimes I would not be able to make it in time. Often many phone calls had to be made before we manage to meet. 

Compare this to: I exited my house, hopped into my car and started driving. Nothing can beat this convenience, not even a very well developed public transportation system. Maybe in the future, when all vehicles are self-driven and you can call one up with a press of a button and it will be there in a minute, ready to transport you anywhere, the situation will change - but as of now, having my own vehicle seems far superior to any other options. Even if I did not plan to buy a car, I would, at least, buy a scooter.

In my particular city, one can do well with just a bicycle, as I have been doing for 4 years. However, every time I wanted to go to the nearby large city - boom, inconvenience. Taking a taxi/Uber/Lyft would be too expensive. Taking the bus is inconvenient, due to its schedule and the price (Almost $100 two-way). To avoid draining my wallet, I have to either avoid going there when I want to, or I have to wait for one of my friends to drive their car there, so I could join them. With a car, I can drive for 5000 miles easily. Without a car, I have to take an expensive bus every time I want to go 50 miles away, and an airplane/train/Greyhound when I want to go over 100 miles away.

To summarize, there are too many situations in which having your own car makes life far easier, for me to justify relying on Uber/Lyft instead, that can only be reasonably used in a very limited array of cases.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    I never even want a self driving car and nervously await the day that only self driving cars are allowed on the road. (Safety reasons) Driving is one of the best pleasures in life to me, the sense of freedom and control with it. I'd rather spend $10 on gas to just drive around aimlessly than spend that money on a movie ticket.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    My angle on this is a bit different to others.

I take into account that the entire Uber industry would collapse if this 10% didn't exist but then also take into account that the 10% only can exist due to the percent that opt to drive for the money.

It's a double edged sword if you say one side is wrong or not. Drivers will drive and clients will get driven. That's the beauty of the market that right wingers speak of! It completes itself.
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    Hell no are you nuts? I'd rather walk to work than ride in a Uber or Lyft!
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr