frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

NASA admitting to faking images

Debate Information

A common "proof" for the globe is see is NASA Images. I have heard and seen it everywhere, including from a red herring from a certain guy I wont name in the sun debate.

And now I will be proving that they are fake

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/about/people/RSimmon.html

If you read through this article you will see Robert saying NASA fakes images. "The last time anyone took a photograph from above low Earth orbit that showed an entire hemisphere (one side of a globe) was in 1972 during Apollo 17."

So, we have NASA saying they fake images. Well except the moon landings, but those have been debunked too.

The moon landings

and the blue marble

So watch and learn
joecavalrynorthsouthkoreaErfisflatLogicfea
I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• cakermancakerman 6 Pts   -  
    A common fallacy I notice with this argument is that even at a height of 254 miles (which is 1,341,000 feet, also the average orbital height of the International Space Station, which will be important) the ISS can only see about 3 percent of the earth's surface at one time, and only about 24 people have ever seen Earths entirety (meaning Earth itself as one ball suspended in space, all in one point of view) in person before. This brings me to the misunderstanding that your argument puts forth, most say that NASA "fakes" satellite imagery and by a slight technicality you're right. The argument all stems from ISS photos of the whole earth being mere compositions, more of an extrapolation of sorts of all the photos that the ISS takes of the surface of earth (as 3% sure is a mighty small percentage) and then being labeled as "fakes" or being created entirely by CGI.

To put into perspective just how close the ISS orbits to earth, if the planet Earth were the size of an apple, the ISS would orbit around 2.7 mm away from it's surface.

Another argument I hear flat earthers put forth quite often is that you can't "see the curvature" and that's for a very simple reason, a couple reasons actually, and I'll list them numerically here

1: The average human eye can only see about 3.1 miles in any direction (given certain atmospheric conditions can weaken or extend that range, the same general principle still applies)

2: assuming you are standing at a sea level of zero, only adding height for a reasonable human height of 6 feet tall, the horizon is 2.9 miles away and only hides 0.0067 feet of total height behind it

3: at an actual height of 1,341,000 feet you could effectively see for 1,441 miles (about 5-5.5 times the oribital height of the ISS) uninterrupted by earth's curvature

The other glaring problem I have with your argument is the "blue marble debunked video", if you look you can clearly see that adjusted for the angle of the photo and the frame of reference that the continents actually do match just perfectly, with Africa as the focal point it's just that alot of the other landmass is behind the curvature, especially considering how large of a chunk of Antartica is visible on the photo used as the purported evidence. The man describing the fallacies of the photos fails to realize that he himself is basing his argument on a flat map of the earth's surface, compared with a hundreds of thousands of miles away at an angle photo of the planet. Just because you cannot see the landmasses in the photograph does not mean that the landmasses were not there, they were simply hidden due to the angle of the photograph
    SilverishGoldNovajoecavalrynorthsouthkoreaDawnBringerRivenMedic
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Oh no, not another one. This one doesn't sound as dumb as the others. You want this one @SilverishGoldNova?
    SilverishGoldNova
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    @cakerman

"the ISS can only see about 3 percent of the earth's surface at one time, "

I've superimposed a still from the ISS feed on to of the globe cartoon ball to get an idea of how much the ISS can see of the earth. 3 percent? Maybe...

Here is another still proving that NASA is manipulating images of earth.

As you can see, the solar panel has a definite curve to it, that somewhat matches the earths, signifying the use of a wide angle lens, which curves straight lines.

The ISS certainly isn't the only satellite supposedly taking images of the earth. Regardless, anyone can take scans of something flat, then project it onto a sphere.

"The average human eye can only see about 3.1 miles in any direction (given certain atmospheric conditions can weaken or extend that range, the same general principle still applies)"

Technically and mathematically, about 3.1 miles to the horizon should be all we can see, depending on the object's height above sea level, and if the observer is standing at sea level (6 feet up).

https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=3&h0=6&unit=imperial

But of course we flat earthers know this isn't the case. Instances of up to 150+miles have been reported.

As for the response to the videos, I have no opinion. They are images, which are easy to manipulate, as has been shown.

joecavalryEvidence
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • Erfisflat said:
    Oh no, not another one. This one doesn't sound as dumb as the others. You want this one @SilverishGoldNova?
    would have wanted it if I wasnt busy all day

I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    NASA May have presented edited images, but not heavy altered images or photographs.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
    NASA May have presented edited images, but not heavy altered images or photographs.

You sure?

Wayne Dyer
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    @wake , good argument and use of evidence. If there was no globe model for the Earth, their would be no horizon and no time zones.
    SilverishGoldNova
    Wake said:
    @cakerman - I might point out that standing upon the top of the Marin Headlands Lookout on Cozzelman Rd. from the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge you can only see one of the Farallone Islands with the others below the curvature of the Earth. And that is a mere 920 feet altitude. From the pilots deck of a B52 at 20,000+ feet of altitude you couldn't actually see the curvature of the Earth but at 550 knots you could watch cities appear over the horizon.  And the rate that they would appear demonstrated the exact diameter of the Earth. So the flat earthers are little more than a comedy routine.
    He also said it was easy to fly a 747, because he worked on planes. Comedy routine lol. Why should I believe what you say?
    EvidenceSilverishGoldNova

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited October 2017

All of the Farallone Islands as seen from the top of the Marin Headlands. No curvature. Not just a say so, image to back up the claim. Just how much curvature should there be @Wake?

http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2009/04/06/farallon-islands-california/
    Evidence

Wayne Dyer
    Comedy routine indeed. You're a clown @Wake

Wayne Dyer
     "Even more amazing is that there is a tanker on the horizon that is likely twice as far from the Farallones as they are from San Francisco. "

Wayne Dyer
    Herpa derp, those balls are round, so the table must also be round!

Wayne Dyer
    " I might point out that standing upon the top of the Marin Headlands Lookout on Cozzelman Rd. from the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge you can only see one of the Farallone Islands with the others below the curvature of the Earth. And that is a mere 920 feet altitude. "

Wayne Dyer
    @wake I pulled the quote from the photographer's article. He is completely unbiased and likely could care less if the earth was flat. The tanker is on the horizon in the picture.

Wayne Dyer
    @wake , good argument and use of evidence. If there was no globe model for the Earth, their would be no horizon and no time zones.
    Two lies and an ad hominem attack. Good argument he says.

Wayne Dyer
    "Farallon Islands, California as seen from the Marin Headlands"

The caption under the picture reads. I've never seen a telephoto lens that can pull entire islands backwards over the curvature of the earth! I showed mine, where's yours? All we have is a tired old mechanic's word at this point. Maybe they were there, but you need spectacles?

Wayne Dyer
    "The headlands stretch from the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Beach. Photographers perch on the southern headlands for spectacular shots of the city, with the bridge in the foreground and the skyline on the horizon. Equally remarkable are the views north along the coast and out to sea, where the Farallon Islands are visible on clear days."

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/california/the-bay-area/things-to-do/sights/reviews/marin-headlands-485920#poi-review

2 sources saying they're visible from the headlands, versus your word. 

Wayne Dyer
    "Anyone who's visiting San Francisco for the first time should not miss coming here. This is where you can find the most impressive spot to view the Golden Gate Bridge. Actually, there is so much more to see than just the bridge. On a clear day, if you're lucky, one can view almost the entire bay - from Treasure Island to Farallon Islands. It's so beautiful it took my breath away a thousand times (or more)!"

A third.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155988-d103182-r327847498-Marin_Headlands-Marin_County_California.html

Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer
    Pass off more of your lies as intelligence. We're all having fun at your expense.

Wayne Dyer
    flat horizon at over 100,000 feet.

Here's another.

Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    NASA is useless. I just can't help but wonder where all their funds are going to. Their rate of research as of now is so slow. 
    SilverishGoldNova
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    @Fascism Thats easy, the funds are going towards developing new CGI technology
    FascismErfisflatfea

@SilverishGoldNova lol. If you do some common sense calculations with the money, that actually makes a lot of sense. I don't know much about NASA making fake photos, but I'm just saying that financially, that makes sense. 
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
    @Fascism I did provide a link showing NASA admitting they fake images, but you don't need their word to see it.

The continents grow, the continents shrink, the continents change color

Copied and pasted clouds

My question is why they would need to fake images of the Earth so blatantly if the Earth was truely a ball floating in outerspace, going around the sun faster than sound (Which should prevent us from hearing anything at all, but it doesnt cuz gravituh), specifically around a sun going around the galaxy at 66,000 MPH, specifically a galaxy moving around some magical singularity faster than light (which I thought was scientifically impossible)
    ErfisflatFascismfea

• FascismFascism 344 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    @SilverishGoldNova Holy your right. Their cgi DID get better. They didn't have to cover up as much land with clouds in the 2015 picture than in the 1972 picture. 
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflatfea
    @Fascism In general the heliocentric spinning ball model is baseless. The globe was founded on a primitive understanding of perspective, and now people are suddenly willing to defend it because "muh NASA photos". There was never ANY proof for heliocentrism, it was always a theory made to keep the Sol worshippers happy
    fea

@SilverishGoldNova I've look into your arguments for a flat earth. I'm doing some research on my own to figure this out. And by research on my own, I mean actual experiments which I do myself. I'm not going to trust any media source on this. Of course completely avoiding the media is impossible, but fascism, like the flat earth theory, is constantly attacked by the media with baseless arguments. So I know how it feels to be constantly attacked by all sides. 
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflatfea
    @Fascism Every time someone somewhat well known comes out in favor of the FE model, or someone working for some media company discovers a flat Earther they are immediately swarmed with fallacious attacks by the media (often abusive fallacy, or strawmanning using arguments by TFES shills)
    fea

• @Fascism although you can see wake spamming insults in this thread
    fea

@Fascism If you are curious TFES or the Flat Earth Society is a controlled opposition group designed to distract people from the real flat Earth research, and to make them think it's not worth considering by trying to make it seem ridiculous, like saying that the Earth accelerates up, or that we can fall off the edge but it's protected by armed astronauts. It was founded in 1970 and now exists as an online forum. It's founder made a living from mocking flat Earthers. So if you plan on continuing your flat Earth research, stay away from TFES
    Erfisflatfea

@SilverishGoldNova @SilverishGoldNova I've noticed the difference in your arguments. 
    SilverishGoldNova
    @Fascism although you can see wake spamming insults in this thread
    I think I shut him up for now.

Wayne Dyer
  • Fascism said:
    @SilverishGoldNova @SilverishGoldNova I've noticed the difference in your arguments. 
    We're the same people tho, LOL
    fea

• Erfisflat said:
    He ended up like Coveny: He responded with basic cliche nonsense, then turned to personal attacks and trolling when called out

@SilverishGoldNova that name repeat was a typo. I was agreeing with you that the flat earth society had different arguments from you. 
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
    Fascism said:
    @SilverishGoldNova that name repeat was a typo. I was agreeing with you that the flat earth society had different arguments from you. 
    I wouldn't say TFES has "different arguments", they're a shill group. As I have already said, it is a controlled opposition group that mixes the actual flat Earth with lies and satire, to make it seem completely , as if hammering the globe deep into our brains when we first enter a class isn't enough, and it's founder made millions from making fun and mocking flat Earthers
    Erfisflatfea

Erfisflat said:
    He ended up like Coveny: He responded with basic cliche nonsense, then turned to personal attacks and trolling when called out
    He started with aneqdotal fallacies and never slowed down.

Wayne Dyer
  • @Erfisflat then rewording: He started off with anecdotal fallacies and then turned to personal attacks.
    Erfisflatfea

@Erfisflat Also it seems Trollveny is back, with some more caution signs, and after he finished crying about us on his message boards, he is now crying for special privileges to the admin
    fea

• PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    I don't think anyone pointed this out, but erfisflat's first picture was clearly photoshopped. You can see the rectangle of the satellite's picture just pasted onto a picture of the Earth.
    @PowerPikachu21

It is a screenshot rotated with a picture editor, then screenshotted again. Here is the source video.

You're welcome to make baseless claims, but make them elswhere.

Wayne Dyer

This is photoshopped yes, but I even let this be known with:

"I've superimposed a still from the ISS feed on to of the globe cartoon ball to get an idea of how much the ISS can see of the earth. 3 percent? Maybe..."
    SilverishGoldNova

Wayne Dyer