frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

How can god possibly exist and be true with so many ridiculous absurdities in the bible?

13»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    ethang5 said:
    it's funny, people love their pets and rightly so, yet that pet can't begin to fathom or understand what a human is, what they can do.  In a way we are gods over our pets yet they aren't capable of understanding the concept.  And yet the all knowing human isn't so burdened, some think so anyway.  Is there nothing we can't conceive?  How would you know if you can't conceive it?  If you can conceive it that doesn't mean you understand it or all of it?  Can there be a God w/o the bible, of course, why not.  Is the bible perfect?  I guess it depends, many people think an article of clothing fits perfectly or that things go perfectly together, but is that meant as an absolute?  We argue these details and context in vain imo.  Why wouldn't you try to make an ant understand you are it's god?  Perhaps in a way, we are ants in comparison.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    ethang5 said:
    it's funny, people love their pets and rightly so, yet that pet can't begin to fathom or understand what a human is, what they can do.  In a way we are gods over our pets yet they aren't capable of understanding the concept.  And yet the all knowing human isn't so burdened, some think so anyway.  Is there nothing we can't conceive?  How would you know if you can't conceive it?  If you can conceive it that doesn't mean you understand it or all of it?  Can there be a God w/o the bible, of course, why not.  Is the bible perfect?  I guess it depends, many people think an article of clothing fits perfectly or that things go perfectly together, but is that meant as an absolute?  We argue these details and context in vain imo.  Why wouldn't you try to make an ant understand you are it's god?  Perhaps in a way, we are ants in comparison.
    @Applesauce God is the 'Creator' of all things, so how could He not be perfect?
    He also gave us "free will" where religious pseudoscientists can say: "Naaw, .. there is no Creator God, instead, here is what happened: this quantum speck popped out of nothing, exploded with a Big-Bang, and created an expanding vacuum (now that claim is really hard to even imagine, and even harder to prove scientifically, where a vacuum expands, especially after creating 'gravity', .. lol) with a 2D Spacetime Fabric woven by matter and antimatter, with a lot of black holes in it, which created mass and more gravity which clumped together as suns and planets, but not as a huge big lump in the middle of the galaxy! Why? Well because:

1. Gravity is the "force" that attracts a body to the center of the earth, or ANY other physical body having mass.

2. This means that anything with mass has a gravitational force.

3. Gravity pulls falling objects to the ground.

4. It applies to objects of all sizes, stating that the more mass an object had, the more it attracted other objects.

This is why all the mass in the universe didn't clump up as a huge, .. trillions of light years in diameter ball, because: "gravity applies to objects of all sizes, stating that the more mass an object had, the more it attracted other objects".

So you see, God does not mind us claiming He doesn't exist, He says: fine, if you can create this expanding Spacetime vacuum through a quantum speck Big-Banging, do it!

So here is man, robs his fellow man, kills hundreds of millions through starvation so he can build a Large Collider where he WILL create a universe out of nothing! Yep, just watch!
    .. OK, so it's not out of nothing, nor is it 'in nothing', we need a lot of things to create a Big Bang out of "speck", like a Large Collider

Image result for pic of the LHC in switzerland

.. and, .. yes we need a lot of "speck's" too, bunches of them, and a lot of time too so we can keep smashing them  "little specks" together 24/7 for years, .. All Righty then, we also need space, many acres of space;

Image result for pic of the LHC in switzerland

and everything else we find on Gods creation here on Flat Earth, .. but by Hubble and Einstein we WILL create a universe in nothing, and prove to God he is not necessary!

Wait, .. umm maybe a god will be necessary, .. but Not You Bible God, .. what we need is umm, .. here, we need the god of death, yeah, 

Related image

.. but we will never worship this god like you want us to worship you, .. so no worship OK!?

Wait, .. alright, maybe just a little worship, but we're NOT going all out like you want us to do, yeah, .. just a little bow here and there:

OK, ok, .. so we do go all out with this worship, but this bronze statue is worth it, .. because we can see it, and won't talk to us through prophets like you do!

Related image

Umm, .. or maybe just a few ladyboy prophets:

Applesauce
  • IdolRocksIdolRocks 64 Pts   -  
    @awaketowhere

I had a feeling that you got these from SAB. SAB is a dishonest website. The answers to most of their complaints already exist. It is not hard for them to find the answers to many of their complaints. 

I will respond to as many as I can, but there will most likely be some that I skip and come back to. I will then give a response to the ones that I skipped as soon as I can. 

"He rested."
    Even God gets tired sometimes. 2:2

https://carm.org/why-did-god-need-to-rest-from-creating

"And Cain knew his wife." That's nice, but where the hell did she come from? 4:17

This is one of the most commonly asked questions. But it has been answered over and over and over again. 

https://askjohnmackay.com/cains-wife-if-adam-eve-only-had-cain-and-abel-who-was-cains-wife/

https://apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=11&article=1145

https://carm.org/questions/about-bible/where-did-cain-get-his-wife

https://carm.org/where-did-cain-get-his-wife

https://www.gotquestions.org/Cains-wife.html

Since there are so many articles responding to this topic on Creation.com, rather than giving you the links individually, I search "Cain Wife" in the search section and I am presenting you with the link and the search so that you can see all of the articles on CMI that relate to this topic. 

https://creation.com/search?q=cain+wife+

Same with Answersingenesis. Some may be the same but there are some that are different. 

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?refinement=&language=en&q=cain+wife

Adam finally dies -- 930 years after eating from the tree of knowledge, contrary to God's false prophecy that Adam would die the day that he ate the forbidden fruit (2:17). 5:5 

http://www.apologeticspress.org/AllegedDiscrepancies.aspx?article=797

https://www.gotquestions.org/Adam-Eve-die-sin.html

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-characters/adam-and-eve/why-didnt-adam-and-eve-die-the-instant-they-ate-the-fruit/

God decides to kill all living things because the human imagination is evil. Later (8:21), after he kills everything, he promises never to do it again because the human imagination is evil. Go figure 6:5 

First of all, what does "Go figure" mean? And what is "human imagination is evil" mean as well?

https://www.gotquestions.org/flood-just.html

God repents. 6:6-7 

https://carm.org/genesis-66-and-lord-was-sorry-he-had-made-man-earth

https://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.aspx?category=12&article=1166

http://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.aspx?category=125&article=996

"Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens."
    How did Noah know which animals were "clean" and "unclean" to God? (It wasn't defined until Leviticus was written.) 7:2 

For this one, just copy and search into google this part of your statement:  How did Noah know which animals were "clean" and "unclean" to God? 

And it will lead you to several links. The one is GotQuestions and the second one is ApologeticPress. Just click on those two. I am trying to point out to you how simple it is for you and the SAB Website to find the answers to their question. The fact that they don't bother shows they have no interest in being truthful and they just want to ridicule and be ridiculous and attempt to Judge God, for which they have no other basis other than their opinion to do that.  I am speaking only of SAB, not about you. 

I will respond to the rest but responding to the comment: Now why should anybody believe in this god of clear insanity? 

Because you are expressing your opinion, claiming that these verses, are inconsistent, immoral, or etc, but that is only your opinion. Where is your Objective, Absolute, Unchanging Standard by which you use to judge God? IOW, "Do you have an objective standard of morality by which you can judge whether or not something is morally right or wrong?"
    @awaketowhere "“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror.” Richard Dawkins and he’s 100% right. "

He's actually not. And besides even if he was, it's all nothing more than his opinion anyways. 
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    >Plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes (1:14-19). 1:11

Plants did not have chlorophyll at creation, and thus no photosynthetic processes. Photosynthesis evolved over time.

>"He rested."
    Even God gets tired sometimes. 2:2

The word “rested” in the verse means “stopped”. As in, “The ball came to rest at the foot of the hill.” Words can have more than one meaning.

>Cain is worried after killing Abel and says, "Every one who finds me shall slay me." This is a strange concern since there were only two other humans alive at the time -- his parents! 4:14

There were more. Daughters were not mentioned, as per Hebrew custom.

>"And Cain knew his wife." That's nice, but where the hell did she come from? 4:17

Most likely a grand daughter or grand niece of Eve. 

>Adam finally dies -- 930 years after eating from the tree of knowledge, contrary to God's false prophecy that Adam would die the day that he ate the forbidden fruit (2:17). 5:5

God was not talking about physical death. Which is why Jesus had to come save us.

>God decides to kill all living things because the human imagination is evil. Later (8:21), after he kills everything, he promises never to do it again because the human imagination is evil. Go figure 6:5 

Basically, you're telling us you disagree with God. So what?

>God repents. 6:6-7

Words can have more than one meaning. Repent here means regret, and one can regret things that are not surprises. I knew my mom would die, I was filled with regret when she died anyway.

>"Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens."

How did Noah know which animals were "clean" and "unclean" to God? (It wasn't defined until Leviticus was written.) 7:2

Noah didn't need to know. God, the one bringing the animals, did.

>Noah sends a dove out to see if there was any dry land. But the dove returns without finding any. Then, just seven days later, the dove goes out again and returns with an olive leaf. But how could an olive tree survive the flood? And if any seeds happened to survive, they certainly wouldn't germinate and grow leaves within a seven day period. 8:8-11

The first dove not finding any doesn't mean there weren’t any. And in 7 days, an olive plant can sprout pre-leaves called cotyledons.

>"I do set my bow in the cloud."
    God is rightly filled with remorse for having killed his creatures.

This is your opinion. Not scripture or truth.

>He makes a deal with the animals, promising never to drown them all again.

God makes no deals with animals. If your position is so logical and true, why your need to lie?

>He even puts the rainbow in the sky so that whenever he sees it, it will remind him of his promise so that he won't be tempted to do it again. (Every time God sees the rainbow he says to himself: "Oh, yeah.... That's right. I promised not to drown the animals again. I guess I'll have to find something else to do.").

The rainbow was assurance for us, like when a father tells his 5 year old son that he will tie a bow around his finger to remember to pick the kid up for scout practice. The father does it to reassure the child. You look at it with the cynical eye of ignorance.

>But rainbows are caused by the nature of light, the refractive index of water, and the shape of raindrops. There were rainbows billions of years before humans existed. 9:13

The bible did not say this was the 1st rainbow ever, or disputes what causes rainbows.

>God says, "Let us go down ..." Maybe he hasn't been talking to himself; maybe there is more than one of them up there. Well, however many there may be, they all decide to come down to confuse the builders by confounding human language and scattering them [humans] abroad. 11:7

And how is this absurd? God is three persons in the Godhead.

>The Jews were God's chosen people. So why did God have them enslaved for 400 years? n15:13 

Because they had been consistently disobedient. Being “chosen” does not mean they bypassed judgment. What do you think “Chosen” means? It only means they were chosen as the people from among whom the Savior would come.

>GE 1:3-5, 14-19 There was light ("night and day") before there was a sun. (Note: If there were no sun, there would be no night or day.

There were thousands of suns at the time of the Earths creation.

>Also, light from the newly created heavenly bodies seems to have reached the earth instantaneously though it now takes thousands or millions of years.)

You do not know how long the universe had existed before the Earth was created. The universe is older than the Earth. And the universe is expanding.

>GE 1:12, 16 Plants began to grow before there was sunlight.

The first plants did not need sunlight. Some of these plants still exist in thermal vents in the deep ocean where there is no sunlight. They get energy from heat and chemical processes.

>GE 1:29 Every plant and tree which yield seed are given to us by God as good to eat. (Note: This would include poisonous plants such as hemlock, buckeye pod, nightshade, oleander.)

No it doesn't. You are assuming out of ignorance. Poisonous plants evolved toxicity, they were not created that way.

>GE 6:5 God is unhappy with the wickedness of man and decides to flood the earth to eliminate mankind. All living things including plants, animals, women and innocent children are also exterminated. (Note: This is like burning down a house to rid it of mice.)

No it isn't. The Earth was not destroyed.

>GE 7:19-20 The flood covered the earth with water fifteen cubits (twenty plus feet) above the highest mountains.(Note: This would require steady, worldwide rainfall at the rate of about 6 inches per minute, 360 inches per hour, 8640 inches per day--for 40 days and nights--so as to cover the entire earth with an endless ocean 5 miles deep,…

Your calculations do not factor in the fact that the rainfall was augmented by water from underground.

>…thus burying 29,000 ft. Mt. Everest under 22 ft. of water.

Mt. Everest grew gradually to its present height. It was not 29,000 feet high back then.

>How did the author know the depth of the water? Did Noah take soundings? And where has all this water gone?)

It isn't Noah giving the depth, it I’d Moses, years later. And moses knew because it was revealed to him.

>GE 3:14-16 God curses the serpent, Eve, and Adam for what they have done. (Note: This is inconsistent with God's omniscience; God should have known full well, ahead of time, what the outcome would be.

How does His curse show that He didn't?

>Since God created the three as well as the Tree of Knowledge, he is ultimately responsible for the Fall.)

This again is your opinion you are trying to pass as truth. Every person is morally responsible for their own sin, no one else.

>LE 14:49-53 The cure for leprosy involves incantations and the blood of a bird.

That was not to cure leprosy, but a sin offering to be spiritually cleansed to be able to enter the temple again.

>NU 22:21-30 A donkey sees an angel, recognizes it as such, and then speaks in human language (presumably Hebrew) to his master.

This is what the man walking the donkey observes due to his extreme guilt.

>2CH 13:17 500,000 Israelites are slain in a single battle. (Note: This is more than were lost in any single battle of World War II, and even exceeds the number of deaths that resulted from the dropping of the atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima.)

so what? The genocide in Rwanda exceeds the deaths in those battles too. So what? This was a country at war with itself.

>Now why should anybody believe in this god of clear insanity?

Because they know your ignorance does not accurately portray him or his people.

Every point you brought here was ignorant of facts, or just sloppy poor thinking. You don't even know what you're criticizing. And to show your ignorance, more people believe in this God than any other.

The God you claim is clear insanity, is deemed the best by general society. There is insanity here , but it isn't with god, it's with your ignorance of science, history, English, and the bible.
  • A God can exist independent of what's written in the Bible which was written by men if you are assuming God/creator does exist that is.

I am an Atheist myself but I'd have to say that this argument is not sound, sorry.  In fact, it's a lot like saying how can a human being exist when they say so many absurd things!

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    God. Jesus, and the Bible exists.

People of all walks of life, go to church on a weekly basis, and they exist, just like the religious buildings, that they go to, exist.

And every day, in the world, the ridiculous absurdities of humanity exist, right along with the above, because human beings act in ridiculous and absurd ways.

Examples:

Some parents using illegal drugs around their kids, children, and families, is an example of a ridiculous absurdity.

Race on race gun violence, and non race on race gun violence are other examples of ridiculous absurdities.

• ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

His poor logic is bad enough, but the things he's calling absurd only seem absurd to him because he's ignorant.  (No offense intended)

You're supposed to know the stuff you criticize.
  • SpyralTheRoolSpyralTheRool 12 Pts   -  
    You notice that all the quotes are from the old testament, the testament known for its poetry and exaggeration.  The bible changes with time and a lot of events are kept unchecked, which is just how the people interpreted and saw God.
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    I'm only going to answer two of the questions and I intend this for your understanding, you have not based what you said on any form of logic.

First and foremost, how cultures approach writing is different.

In Jewish tradition chronology was lest important than information.

In terms of Cain and able, Adam and Eve had children while Cain and able we're alive.

No one ever reads the headers or any chapters in the Bible.

Please look at these headers.

Cain and Abel

From Adam to Noah

In from Adam and Noah ,

Verse 1 states,

This is the historical record of Adam’s generations. When God created mankind, he made them in his own likeness.

It's not chronological it's informative.

Verse 2 

Creating them male and female, he blessed them and called them humans when he created them.

Notice verses 3-12 don't mention Cain and Abel...although Adam had Cain and Abel as children.

Considering Adams life span and the life span of Cain and Abel and Adams genological record

Verse 4 indicates he had many children while Cain and Abel we're alive

After Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son just like him, that is, according to his own likeness, and named him Seth.

4  Adam lived another 800 years, fathering other sons and daughters after he had fathered Seth.

5  Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then died.

6  When Seth had lived 105 years, he fathered Enosh.

7  After he fathered Enosh, Seth lived 807 years, fathering other sons and daughters.

8  Seth lived a total of 912 years, and then died.

9  When Enosh had lived 90 years, he fathered Kenan.

10  After he fathered Kenan, Enosh lived 815 years, fathering other sons and daughters.

11  Enosh lived a total of 905 years, and then died.

12  When Kenan had lived 70 years, he fathered Mahalalel.

I forgot your other questions so I'll respond to one more.

• jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    God said let us.

The Hebrew word for God is a plural noun.

It's not a noun.

Since the Hebrew word for God is a plural noun, singular intensive God is, a description of three people who are God and each individually referred to as God, in a whole sense.

The others you should take time to think on, please buy a Hebrew dictionary. Your not associating the syntax, nor the context.