frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should Siri, Amazon Echo, and other Assistants be atheists or aware of religion?

Debate Information

Siri’s Religious Beliefs: Does Your iPhone Believe In God?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/14/siri-religious-beliefs-iphone_n_4590708.html

northsouthkoreabillpassedpassedbill
  1. Live Poll

Should Siri, Amazon Echo, and other Assistants be atheists or aware of religion?

10 votes
    1. Yes
      10.00%
    2. No
      10.00%
    3. Should be a setting
      80.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    If we are looking for siri to personalize the experience and feels more like a personal assistant, then a religion setting should really be added. This way people can feel much more connected to it.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Siri is not advanced enough to habe meaningful conversations on that topic.  It is much safer to politely stay away, and avoid risk of either lawsuit or backlash from religious groups
    EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
  • I guess you could have it as a setting, but I wouldn't see the point.

On a side note, it would be pretty funny.

"Siri, can I get a hallelujah?" 
    agsr
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • SylynnSylynn 71 Pts   -  
    If you're looking for a serious answer, I suppose I can muster one up. 

For one, the question simply doesn't make sense. Should personal assistants be atheists or aware of religion? It's not a binary choice. I'm an atheist, and I'm also aware of religions. 

Secondly, no matter how "advanced" we believe these assistants are, they are limited by their programming. As they do not consist of conscious minds, they can't be independently convinced of the existence of a god, nor can they be unconvinced. Are they aware of religions? I would imagine so. They are programmed to search the web to give relevant results and would be capable of searching religious information.
    northsouthkorea
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    @Sylynn, try to ask siri about religion and she will direct you to talk to someone more qualified, like a human.  
    Point is that Siri was programmed ro specifically not to get to any topics around religion. If someone is deeply religious, I am not sure what would be the harm for Siri to be programmed to answer his/her questions. 
    @love2debate, the same can be said of any topic. Let's face it, Siri is one of the worst assistants out there is far as how advanced it is. However, if I ask Google Assistant certain questions (i.e. What is god? What is heaven?) it will read to me the definitions. It's not a matter of a bias that an assistant won't get into religion, they're just simply programmed to answer you in certain ways, regardless of the topic.
  • billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    Kids can also use these asstiants and considering that, as well as all ages, these assistants should be aware of the religion.
    @billpassed ;In what way? What do you mean by "aware of the religion"? 
    passedbill
  • passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    They should be aware of religion and push it as well. This is very important for all ages, including children who are using these devices.
    They should be aware of religion and push it as well. This is very important for all ages, including children who are using these devices.
    It's not enough for parents and their church to indoctrinate children, you also need to rely on the personal assistants of mobile phones? The purpose of these assistants is not to preach to your children.
  • RodinonRodinon 67 Pts   -  
    Sylynn said:
    It's not enough for parents and their church to indoctrinate children, you also need to rely on the personal assistants of mobile phones? The purpose of these assistants is not to preach to your children.

So if someone is religious, you expect them to teach them something other than what they believe?  Why would you expect that?
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    @Rodinon, my biggest concerns for personal assistants to give impression of indicatimg any type of religion or atheism bias is 1) user backlash 2) lawsuits

that's why I feel that siri strictly staying away from engaging in conversation about religion is safe.  Web search results about religion via siri is not a concern.
    Rodinon
    Rodinon said:
    Sylynn said:

So if someone is religious, you expect them to teach them something other than what they believe?  Why would you expect that?
    How the hell did you get that from what I said? Are you suggesting personal assistants should teach children beliefs contrary to those of the parents? What parent would buy such a device? 
  • RodinonRodinon 67 Pts   -  
    @Sylynn

No, not at all.  I interpreted "its not enough" as "isn't it bad enough."  I've seen people state that parents should not be allowed teach their children their religion by using very similar wording.  From your response, I take it I am mistaken.