frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is islam a religion of peace

Debate Information

Is Islam a religion of peace?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -  
    It depends on your standards. There are writings and arguments that support peaceful existence, but then there are also those that do the opposite. For me that puts it in the category of most religions where is restricts violence rather than removing it completely and the onus is on the believer to pick the path of peace rather than the religion forcing it on them and categorically telling

To me the religions which qualify as religions of peace are those like Jainism, the Quakers, large sections of Buddism, etc where there is an absolute and over-riding call for peace. Although I'm not too familiar with it the Ahmadiyya version of the Islamic faith may qualifies under this for me. They essentially reject jihad of a violent nature and state that religious struggle must be done through convincing others, a battle of hearts and minds. I say they may qualify as I haven't investigated it enough to know if they also restrict all non-jihad related violence.
    Ricasso
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    I don't personally believe that Islam "Is" a religion of peace.  I don't think that's it's impossible for it to be Peaceful eventually, but the debate being focused on the current status...no it is not a Religion of Peace.

Ricasso
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    Koran 2:191 " And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- îaram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers."

Koran 4:56 "Surely! Those who disbelieved in Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) We shall burn them in Fire. As often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for other skins that they may taste the punishment. Truly, Allah is Ever Most Powerful, All-Wise."

Koran 5:33 " Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,"

Koran 8:12 "[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

Koran 9:30 "The Jews say, "Ezra is the son of Allah "; and the Christians say, "The Messiah is the son of Allah." That is their statement from their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved [before them]. May Allah destroy them; how are they deluded?"
    George_HorseRicasso
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -  
    @SilverishGoldNova

You seem to be deliberately misquoting to misrepresent what is being said. If Islam is not a religion of peace, you should be able to show this by quoting passages from the Koran openly and honestly, not in a way that deceives people.

E.g. If you read the passage before Koran 2:191 then it is clear that "them" refers to people who are attacking and persecuting Muslims. It is often read as allowing self-defence. Similarly 4:56 is talking about the afterlife for disbelievers, e.g. hell. It's no worse than a lot of religions promise disbelievers in terms of eternal supernatural punishment.

RicassoGeorge_Horse
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    I wouldn't say it is the religion of peace, since there are more peaceful religions, but it definitely isn't anything like the terrorists portray it. True jihad is what the Kazakhs are doing against the Chinese.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Let me ask you a different question: is capitalism an ideology of peace? The answer is: it is not about peace, it is about the economical organization. Practicing capitalism can be done either in a peaceful manner (modern Sweden), or in a violent manner (Pinochet's Chile). Capitalism and peace/violence are different domains.

Same goes for every mainstream religion, including Islam. There are peaceful Muslims, there are violent Muslims. Quran can be interpreted in many different ways, depending on the theological school. An average Muslim student in the UK university is likely to be peaceful, and an average ISIS fighter in Iraq is likely to be violent. Same goes for Christianity: Nick Vujicic is a peaceful Christian, while a European crusader was a violent Christian. Atheists also can be either: Dawkins is a peaceful atheist, while Hitler was a violent atheist.

Islam is neither a religion of peace or a religion of war. Its various interpretations, however, can be either, or neither.
    Ricasso
  • RicassoRicasso 17 Pts   -  
    I think @MayCaesar is making creating a good point in this discussion here. In my view, Islam is a religion that addresses both war and peace both as an important issue in many occasion . It may not be a religion of peace, because it contains war inside it's holy book. But it prepares the Muslims to be ready for any possible event, especially in the context of history where Muslims met war more than once.

So, no, Islam is not a religion of peace, rather it's a religion that is ready for both war and peace.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited July 2018
    I don't think @MayCaesar is wrong either, "Islam is a religion of peace" came from George Bush in the wake of 9/11.  Anytime you hear someone arguing against Islam being a Religion of Peace, they're arguing against that very notion created by the leader of the U.S. at the time and that of Barrack Obama.

Also, generally speaking, on average, Muslims are radically thinking people.  When I say that I mean that throughout countries where Islam has a large enough presence to be counted...the majority of Muslims subscribe to violent, intolerant, prejudicial, sexist and bigoted ideology.

"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• searsear 109 Pts   -  

Is islam a religion of peace

"... slay the infidels wherever ye find them..." Holy Qur'an: Sura 9 Verse 5

George_Horse
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    There many quotes such as the ones @SilverishGoldNova has presented that call for violence.
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles