frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Passive investments are better than active

Debate Information

i argue that a low fee balanced portfolio of passive investments will normally outperform actively managed.  Actively managed investments even if come with higher return compared to similar benchmarked assets.  
I opt for low fee ETFs to construct my balanced portfolio.
there is an interesting debate on this topic here, but I still vote for low fee passive.

Passive Versus Active Investing: A Debate

joecavalrynatbarons
  1. Live Poll

Passive vs Active Investments

7 votes
    1. Passive
      14.29%
    2. Active
      42.86%
    3. Depends
      42.86%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    If passive investments would always outperform active then the hedge fund Industry wouldn’t exist. The point is that there are really smart fund managers out there who use either special tools, insights, or whatever that will outperform the market and their fees are worth it
    joecavalry
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Passive investments are usually better performing as log as they are done over a long term time period.
    agsr
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    @joecavalry, in most cases I agree, but there are exceptional investors out there, look af warren buffet
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    It’s depnsdant on a situation. Long term investments that are passive may be the best option.
    agsr
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Passive investing is more reliable and stable, while active investing is very sensitive towards the choices made. In theory, active investing can produce a much bigger output: imagine a genius investor with an incomprehensible amount of knowledge who at any moment knows where the market is going to go, which company's assets are going to grow quickly, which currencies are going to drop  - and this investor will become a trillionaire very quickly by always making the perfect investment choices, and by actively reacting to the short-term changes on the market.

The other side of the issue is that if you are not as good at making the right investment choices, then active investing can burn through your assets much faster. Passive diversified portfolio tends to give a small, but steady, income, and in the worst case scenario it will give a small, but steady, loss of the investments.

However, this reasoning only applies to investing without involving third parties. As mentioned in the debate, unless you manage your investments personally, the managers will charge you much more for active investing, compared to the passive one. I would imagine that the net profits for the customers are equal in this case, as the market naturally adjusts the fees in such a way as to not favor one type of investing over the other.