frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The Earth is flat and stationary

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat Can you give me an example of some of the mathematical equations you've done yourself to prove the Earth is flat?
    Oswald_Mosley
  • Oswald_MosleyOswald_Mosley 108 Pts   -  
    @Hank math is what proves the Earth is round and philosophers have known this for a while they refuse to point out the gravity/physics of the situation as well as the math that proves the Earth is round. He also dismisses the fact that the Earth has been universally agreed to be round since 350 B.C and refuses to respond to my question dismissing it as a "rant" showing his true colors as a denialist. A person who denies science in favor of his "theories" 
    Hank
    @Erfistflat the government stopped funding NASA recently in order to save on other affairs. If NASA was lying and stealing government money surely because they want us to "believe" for whatever reason you've made up then they would keep funding money into the organization for people to pocket and if they stop funding it why is it that you say that they are nothing more than corrupt.
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Oswald_Mosley I find it funny that they think they can disprove mathematics. The nature of maths is that you cannot disprove it. 2+2=4. That cannot be refuted, there is no possible way that 2+2=/=4. 
    @Erfisflat Now your legit making up stuff. You genuinely think that this fake belief that the planes are forced to turn around in order to prove that the Earth is flat is way less profitable to maintain than if they just let them move. Not to mention countries that aren't in the U.N surely would allow their nation's planes to fly further because the stated goal of the U.N is world peace and they can't intervene. The U.N is too useless regardless to come up with such a plan to stop something so petty as planes, Can you actually respond to me and Hank's arguments in their details instead of bringing up "evidence" from some random youtube channel. 
    @Hank They are baseline starting to disagree with the most basic of concept that human's can all agree to and it's legit getting ridiculous. I think this whole debate can be made into a comedy show with the actual arguments they propose. "because apparently math isn't real math and that science is a concept made by the government and anyone who disagrees with me is a delinquent and i'm the all knowing one despite centuries of math and science proving me wrong but hey at least I can start debates on a website I have a lot of points on."
    Hank
    We have made so many anti-claims and yet you dare say we don't provide any proof. Take on the actual arguments we have made using proof or mathmatics i dare you. You most likely will come up with something else or another obscure youtube channel. We have made claims with proof unlike you and may I ask. I have not made a single appeal to authority and your starting to make me wonder why I'm even in this debate with people who resort to making the opponent seem dumber or insane through crazy points of view and if they have valid evidence you never take it head on instead you resort to ridiculous claims backed by zero evidence.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    "So there is an army that constantly guards the ice wall that surrounds the edge of the Earth?"

Antarctica is guarded by the longest lasting worldwide treaty. Yes. A U.N. army guards Antarctica from freely exploring venturers. Of course they don't literally set up a line of boats or planes lining up the coast. There are much more sophisticated means of guarding than this.

"Can you give me an example of some of the mathematical equations you've done yourself to prove the Earth is flat?"

Yes, a manmade lake near my house is 3 miles approximately at it's widest point. There is no curvature over this 3 miles. There should be.

"math is what proves the Earth is round and philosophers have known this for a while "

Can you give an example as I have above?

"they refuse to point out the gravity/physics of the situation as well as the math that proves the Earth is round. "

I'm asking you to do that, since you support the position. I can't find any curved water, which mathematically should be there.

"He also dismisses the fact that the Earth has been universally agreed to be round since 350 B.C "

False. The earth's shape was highly debated upon until about 500 years ago, then the debate all but disappeared when NASA painted a picture of a ball earth as proof.

"and refuses to respond to my question dismissing it as a "rant" showing his true colors as a denialist. A person who denies science in favor of his "theories" 

I believe @Hank was talking to me and I have no clue what this is about. Please state your question in the form of a... question @Oswald_Mosley
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    It's good to see you two are passionate about your blue ball, I'll take your concerns if you have patience.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

@Hank
    " I find it funny that they think they can disprove mathematics. The nature of maths is that you cannot disprove it. 2+2=4. That cannot be refuted, there is no possible way that 2+2=/=4. "

Please mathematically prove the earth is a spinning ball. So that we can settle the debate with logic and the scientific method. 

Wayne Dyer
    The Earth is massive. If there was a curve at your lake your would be a massive freaking man. Just because you have a man made lake 3 miles wide does not mean you should see curvature. That is not math either sir. Math looks like this: 2+2=4 not "my lake is 2 miles and doesn't curve so the Earth is obviously flat" When you go over water the Water looks flat. When you are on a beach and look out the water is curved. The perspective on the boat is not reflective of the actual look of the water. The curve is so minimal as you travel as a speck on a giant rock you don't notice it up close. IF you stood on a tree over the beach you can see the clearly defined curvature.

The money and equipment required to guard the world's coldest continent would be massive and expensive to stop even 1 small explorer from getting a basic look at the continent would require massive efforts and massive money. All of this in an effort to make you believe the Earth is flat for what reason. NO U.N guard thought that this entire lie needed to come to light? Not even one?

Here is an actual statement. In a flat earth the center of the Earth would be relatively normal to the gravity we have today. As you went to the edges the gravity would get stronger and stronger until like a hill at the edges. This argument has been stated many times and has been agreed upon by most people who actually believe in the fundamental of our society gravity. I have been to Asia and it wasn't harder to walk than it was in North America or as in your theory Italy. 

Saying the shape of the Earth was debated 500 years ago is an insane statement. First off if Nasa did just show off a ball not only would the organization be distrusted for falsehood if the Earth was theoretically "flat" but also people would not just believe something at first site because of a CGI ball made in 1971. 100 years ago was 1507 AD when Aristotle himself in 350 B.C declared the Earth round based off these very simple facts. You did not provide evidence for this so called debate 500 years ago.

I wasn't asking a question I was making a statement about the way you are approaching your facts. 

Hank
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat ;Salar de Uyuni. At 10,582sq km in size and about 100km across, Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia – the world's largest salt flat. Of course there are parts of the Earth that are flat - use some common sense. 

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/09/17/but-it-moves-how-we-know-the-e/

Go and read some experiments that have been conducted by people who spent their lives researching this topic, not a 21 year old conspiracy theorist who thinks they're highly intelligent because they believe the Earth is flat.
    "Now your legit making up stuff. You genuinely think that this fake belief that the planes are forced to turn around in order to prove that the Earth is flat is way less profitable to maintain than if they just let them move. "

I've not made anything up. The Antarctic treaty prohibits free travel through Antarctica. 

"Not to mention countries that aren't in the U.N surely would allow their nation's planes to fly further because the stated goal of the U.N is world peace and they can't intervene. "

This is a front, they'll be peacefull as long as you turn back. This is David Bresnahan, who has led expeditions to Antarctica discusses the limitations of exploring Antarctica. To be sure you're not a military threat, you'll have to obtain your country's governmental permission, then...

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat @SilverishGoldNova I've posted this 4 times now and neither of you have responded to it:

How do you explain that?
    @Oswald_Mosley

"The Earth is massive. If there was a curve at your lake your would be a massive freaking man. Just because you have a man made lake 3 miles wide does not mean you should see curvature."

Yes, you should. In order for the earth to be a ball that is 25,000 miles in circumference all standing water must have a degree of curvature. There can exist no flat surfaces. Over three miles distance, the earth should curve downward 72 inches or 6 feet.

"When you go over water the Water looks flat.

Agreed.

"When you are on a beach and look out the water is curved. "

?false. Evidence. Source please.

"The perspective on the boat is not reflective of the actual look of the water. "

??? This is An incoherent statement.

"The curve is so minimal as you travel as a speck on a giant rock you don't notice it up close. IF you stood on a tree over the beach you can see the clearly defined curvature."

That is not math. Math looks like this 2+2=4 You used no numbers. Words like: "massive", "massive freaking", minimal", "a speck" "giant" "up close" etc. These are unspecified measurements. Please use actual mathematics. You claim to have mathematical evidence,  show it.

Wayne Dyer
    Hank said:
    @Erfisflat @SilverishGoldNova I've posted this 4 times now and neither of you have responded to it:

How do you explain that?
    Explain what? It isn't an accurate representation of reality. It's a drawing. How often have you looked down at the horizon?

Wayne Dyer
    I cant answer all of your low level research questions simultaneously. One at a time please.

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat It is a drawing that demonstrates basic geometry. The Burj Khalifa in Dubai (tallest building in the world) operates in two different time zones. The top floor is 3 minutes behind the bottom floor as the sun sets later due to the curvature of the Earth. You can see the sunset once on the bottom floor, then take the elevator to the top floor to see the sun set again, the exact same principle as shown in the diagram above. 
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited October 2017

@hank said
    @Erfisflat ;Salar de Uyuni. At 10,582sq km in size and about 100km across, Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia – the world's largest salt flat. Of course there are parts of the Earth that are flat - use some common sense. 

This would be impossible on a ball that is 25,000 miles in circumference. Thanks for providing evidence against your position. Over 100 km there should be over 2,574.0045126667 feet of curvature. 

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat I never claimed that the earth is a perfect sphere. Our atmosphere makes it appear to be a perfect sphere. Things lose detail the further away from them you get. The moon is not a perfect circle, but to us it appears to be because we are so far away from it.
    @Hank
    This is a result of perspective. You can see more from higher because you are looking over a lot more of the earth, it's a bit complicated to put into words, maybe an engineer can show you. Either way, you've dodged my rebuttal, you never have to look down at the horizon, and it is always flat. Even at over 100,000 feet.

Wayne Dyer
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Why can't I see Europe with my 120x binoculars when I'm standing on the beach in Atlantic City?
    Hank said:
    @Erfisflat I never claimed that the earth is a perfect sphere. Our atmosphere makes it appear to be a perfect sphere. Things lose detail the further away from them you get. The moon is not a perfect circle, but to us it appears to be because we are so far away from it.
     Where has it appeared to be a perfect sphere? Did i say you said it was a perfect sphere? How is your post relevant to the discussion at all?

Wayne Dyer
    CYDdharta said:
    Why can't I see Europe with my 120x binoculars when I'm standing on the beach in Atlantic City?
    If there were no such things as dust, dew, evaporation, waves, storms, atmosphere, or perspective, I'd think you might could.

Wayne Dyer
    Why is it that when I'm sitting on a boat and watching another boat move away from me it disappears so quickly and from the bottom up?
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat I watched some of the video and there is already an issue. He is only talking about things moving up and down, not getting farther away. If the Earth was flat the sun would not move up and down, it would have to move away from wherever you were standing. So if in this model the tree was moving away then they would still be looking at the same thing from the same distance, just from seeing it from different perspectives. Because the Earth is round it becomes dark on the bottom floor of the Burj Khalifa three minutes before it does on the top floor as the sun disappears into the horizon.
    Erfisflat said:

If there were no such things as dust, dew, evaporation, waves, storms, atmosphere, or perspective, I'd think you might could.
    I don't see the storms.  I can look out of the window of a 20-story beach hotel and still not see Europe.  It should be pretty clear.  OTOH, I can look up and see stars millions of light-years away quite clearly.
    CYDdharta said:
    Why is it that when I'm sitting on a boat and watching another boat move away from me it disappears so quickly and from the bottom up?
    Perspective and refraction. Ever saw it zoomed in?

Wayne Dyer
    CYDdharta said:
    Erfisflat said:

I don't see the storms.  I can look out of the window of a 20-story beach hotel and still not see Europe.  It should be pretty clear.  OTOH, I can look up and see stars millions of light-years away quite clearly.
    You're assuming they're millions of light years away

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat "You're assuming they're millions of light years away"

Again, no. Science and mathematics blatantly proves this. He is not assuming anything. This is a fact that has been verified by centuries of astronomy and cosmology. 
    "Again, no. Science and mathematics blatantly proves this. He is not assuming anything. This is a fact that has been verified by centuries of astronomy and cosmology. "

Then show me this blatant mathematical proof. Yours and authority say so is not proof. I have seen empirical proof against the claim. @Hank

Wayne Dyer
    CYDdharta said:
    Erfisflat said:

Several instances have been compiled of sites that should be mathematically impossible on a ball that is 25,000 miles in circumference being commonplace. Even up to 150 miles away. Ive compiled the evidence in my debate here: the earth is flat.

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat "The first technique uses triangulation (a.k.a. parallax). The Earth's orbit around the sun has a diameter of about 186 million miles (300 million kilometers). By looking at a star one day and then looking at it again 6 months later, an astronomer can see a difference in the viewing angle for the star. With a little trigonometry, the different angles yield a distance. This technique works for stars within about 400 light years of earth. (For details on triangulation."

via https://science.howstuffworks.com/question224.htm
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat "Yours and authority says so is not proof"

No but science and mathematics are two forms of the most potent proof there is. Just because a scientist is influential doesn't mean they're working with the government or trying to lie to their audience. In most cases it is the exact opposite. 
    The first technique uses triangulation (a.k.a. parallax). The Earth's orbit around the sun has a diameter of about 186 million miles (300 million kilometers). By looking at a star one day and then looking at it again 6 months later, an astronomer can see a difference in the viewing angle for the star. With a little trigonometry, the different angles yield a distance. This technique works for stars within about 400 light years of earth. (For details on triangulation."

Your assumed false axiom is in bold. In order for your trigonometry formula to work, it must be be assumed that the earth is a ball that is in motion. This is a blatant assuming the conclusion fallacy, and nothing more. @hank ;

Wayne Dyer
    "No but science and mathematics are two forms of the most potent proof there is. Just because a scientist is influential doesn't mean they're working with the government or trying to lie to their audience. In most cases it is the exact opposite."

So, once again, show me scientific and mathematical proof that the earth is a spinning ball. @Hank

Wayne Dyer
    @hank, you just tried to prove that the earth is a ball by assuming first that the earth is a spinning ball. 

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat You cannot dismiss that 'assumption' just because you don't agree with it. Unfortunately there are absolutely no acclaimed astrophysicists, astronomers, cosmologists, science communicators or public intellectuals that agree with you. Why is it that the people who spend their lives researching and studying this subject are all drawn to the same conclusion of the Earth not being flat, but conspiracy theorists who get all of their information off of YouTube and internet communities are absolutely sure they can disprove the ideas that Isaac Newton and Einstein came up with?
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat Parallax does not assume the Earth is round, parallax gives you the distance to an object. It works by making angular measurements of the distant object from two positions whose location is precisely known, and then using trigonometry to determine the distance. If you know two angles and a the length of one side of a triangle, you can figure out all the remaining dimensions.

So in the case of Aristarchus 2200 years ago - he measured the diameter of the Earth by observing the same star from two locations that he knew the distance between 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    ...and this?

Or this;

Or this?

Hank
    Hank said:
    @Erfisflat You cannot dismiss that 'assumption' just because you don't agree with it. Unfortunately there are absolutely no acclaimed astrophysicists, astronomers, cosmologists, science communicators or public intellectuals that agree with you. Why is it that the people who spend their lives researching and studying this subject are all drawn to the same conclusion of the Earth not being flat, but conspiracy theorists who get all of their information off of YouTube and internet communities are absolutely sure they can disprove the ideas that Isaac Newton and Einstein came up with?
    I'm not asking you what anyone else says. I'm asking you to provide conclusive evidence that we live on a spinning ball. Yes, I have disproved gravity and special relativity here on this website.  Any unbiased person whose actually read my debate will agree. Do you have this evidence, or are you just going with popular opinion and biased authority fallacies as arguments?

Wayne Dyer
    CYDdharta said:
    There is a response video to that, and upcoming for any new ones.

If you'd like to discuss any major points, I'd be delighted.

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat It is not just a popular opinion. The proof is in the theory of relativity. The proof is in the law of universal gravitation. You cannot call a proven fact, a mathematically sound equation false. That is where you lose the slightest bit of credibility that you may have once had. It is the popular opinion because it has been proven to be true - because any logically reasoned person can look at the theories and realise that they correlate to all of the images and equations that we have. What you are doing is claiming something not to be credible simply because it is widely agreed upon - that, my friend, is a real fallacy.  
    "Parallax does not assume the Earth is round, parallax gives you the distance to an object.

By assuming the earth is round...

" It works by making angular measurements of the distant object from two positions whose location is precisely known, and then using trigonometry to determine the distance. If you know two angles and a the length of one side of a triangle, you can figure out all the remaining dimensions."

I know fully well how trigonometry is, but those two distances (on earth) are assumed to be on a circle, not a flat plane, as I have shown you from your own source. @Hank

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    "If there was a huge government cover up for the earth being flat and gravity being non existent and thousands upon thousands of people made to keep quiet for such a long time then why the hell would people now be allowed to have websites, youtube channels etc and given the complete freedom of speech to expose? That alone makes no sense."
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat "By assuming the earth is round..." 

That statement alone proves you know very little about trigonometry.

Answer this one question:

What is your best piece of evidence to support the idea that the Earth is flat? 
    Hank said:
    "If there was a huge government cover up for the earth being flat and gravity being non existent and thousands upon thousands of people made to keep quiet for such a long time then why the hell would people now be allowed to have websites, youtube channels etc and given the complete freedom of speech to expose? That alone makes no sense."
    You know how many people have actually claimed to have seen the earth as a ball? Most people just assume the earth as a ball. Math Powerland exposed NASA,  used to design pictures of space. Ever heard of him? These people control the media and what you perceive as facts. Whistleblowers are either quickly silenced see astronauts mysteriously died, or made to look crazy.

https://aplanetruth.info/2015/03/31/24-why-did-so-many-apollo-astronots-die-mysterious-deaths-in-just-three-years-time/

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat Ok but I didn't ask how many people had seen the Earth?
     "By assuming the earth is round..." 

That statement alone proves you know very little about trigonometry.

It's from your source, I asked you to actually show me, with trigonometry, how we can deduce the distance to stars. Your reply was "well, we know it takes 6 months for the imaginary ball earth to go round the sun... so with trigonometry we have proved you wrong" and you've done no such a thing. @hank ;

Wayne Dyer
  • HankHank 75 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat ;
    Parallax: the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions, e.g. through the viewfinder and the lens of a camera.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the Earth.

I don't see any point in debating with you anymore because you don't want to be convinced. When given blatant mathematical and scientific evidence you just dismiss it and claim it is false. 

I asked you what the strongest piece of evidence to support your theory was numerous times and you've ignored the question.

This Debate has been closed.

DebateIsland.com

| The Best Online Debate Experience!
© 2023 DebateIsland.com, all rights reserved. DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Experience! Debate topics you care about in a friendly and fun way. Come try us out now. We are totally free!

Contact us

customerservice@debateisland.com
Terms of Service

Get In Touch