frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can actions which cause no harm be immoral?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• @MayCaesar

It seems we define morality in completely different ways.  I see morality as an overarching principle(s) concerned with right or wrong behaviour. If an action can be considered right and wrong at the same time, then there is no such principle and no morality. Principles that makes sense (to me) would be ones concerned with avoiding unnecessary harm, increasing happiness,  or something which all humanity would generally be interested in. 

A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

It seems we define morality in completely different ways.  I see morality as an overarching principle(s) concerned with right or wrong behaviour. If an action can be considered right and wrong at the same time, then there is no such principle and no morality. Principles that makes sense (to me) would be ones concerned with avoiding unnecessary harm, increasing happiness,  or something which all humanity would generally be interested in. 

But that is how I classify "right" and "wrong": morally right actions in my eyes are the ones that are practical, meaning maximizing my happiness - and morally wrong actions are the ones minimizing it. I do not take the collective interest of humanity into account per se, because, strictly speaking, my brain is the only object in the Universe that affects how I feel, and how I feel is what determines how I act - however, I find that I am happier, in general, when people around me are also happier, so the collective good naturally becomes a part of the equation, without being its objective.

When building a moral system, we need to have some objective system of axioms to build it upon; a moral system cannot exist in a vacuum and has to be attached to something depending on the objective reality. However, the objective reality is prone to subjective interpretations, varying from individual to individual - hence, from my point of view, every individual should build their own moral system, as it is the only way to stay true to one's nature.

• Mr_BombasticMr_Bombastic 144 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne
    Can an action that is immoral not hurt someone?
  • Mr_BombasticMr_Bombastic 144 Pts   -  
    @Grenache
    What if 6 of 10 pirates say it's OK to kill you and gang rape your woman? Is that moral? Going by your own example, it's kosher.
  • LogicVaultLogicVault 123 Pts   -  
    Morals are subjective. There is no absolute when it comes to morals.
  • AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
    Morality is subjective. There may be people who classify things as "immoral" even though they cause no harm. So, yes. Things that cause no harm can be immoral.
  • @Mr_Bombastic

I don't see how an immoral act can happen without harm, but I am open to examples to the contrary.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.