frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should the Death Penalty be allowed?

Debate Information

The Death Penalty should not be allowed. I am looking forward to hearing my opponent's arguments.
Max_Air29joecavalry
  1. Live Poll

Should the Death Penalty be allowed?

11 votes
    1. Yes
      54.55%
    2. No
      45.45%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Max_Air29Max_Air29 84 Pts   -  
    The death penalty should not be allowed unless the crime is assignation, murder, etc.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Max_Air29 In the US citizens have the right to life, liberty and justice but not death. If you try committing suicide the US people will try stop you. It is not your right until you commit a crime so terrible you get the death penalty. Then it is no longer you right to live. In nether situations are you free to choose. It is not your choice but rather the choice of the nation. I personally don't like that. I would like to ask this question to you. If one could change to be good and helpful do they still deserve the sentence given to them? Should we only give the death penalty to those who most likely can't change or should they even if they probably will change get the death penalty because people believe they deserve it for what they did?
    BaconToes
  • OakchairbcOakchairbc 88 Pts   -  
    In a perfect world there would be no false positives. But in reality at least 4% of those given the death penalty are innocent.
    Theoritically it would be cheaper to overdoes and kill a criminal than to jail them the rest of their life. But again in reality it costs 2 million more to kill them.
    So if you want to kill innocent people and make the country poorer supporting the death penalty is the position for you.
  • jamesrothsjamesroths 28 Pts   -  
    Its the only way people can learn.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Its the only way people can learn.
    Last time I checked, dead people don't learn in any apparent sense...
    OakchairbcBaconToesPogue
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -   edited January 2018
    @someone234 The people that learn are not the ones that die, probably other criminals or society. When you have the threat of death if you commit murder it might just make some people think twice about murdering someone. At the end of the day life in prison might be better than no life at all (I have no idea if it is, I've never been in such position and I have no idea what life in jail is like so it is just a possibility). 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @MajoMILSdlGMGV Why not rape rapists?
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I think that the death penalty should be allowed. For example, when a huge massacre occurs, and the police find the suspect they will usually use the death penalty on the suspect because of their crime. I think it is a good threat to use to other criminals that might have the same motives and plan. The police use the death penalty because they are telling other criminals that this is what will happen to them if they do the same thing and kill people. The facts and death/murder rates speak for themselves and I think using the death penalty is essential.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    The death penalty should not be allowed. The maximum should be life in prison.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • IntellisioIntellisio 42 Pts   -  

Electrocution, Firing Squad, and Hanging. These are just a few methods of the Death Penalty. Today, there are 41 different capital offenses which are punishable by death! Many people do commit major crimes that deeply harm manh families and communities. Yet, the government does not hold the right to take away someone’s life no matter how severe the crime. Capital punishment is a legal first-degree murder committed by the state, no different than the original crime committed by the individual. Not to mention the tremendous cost the death penalty requires! Cases where the death penalty is sought cost $1.26 million! The money used to pay for the death penalty could be used to provide support and counseling to victims and their families. In fact, since 1973, 144 people on the death row have been absolved for being innocent. As a percentage of all death sentences, that's only 1.6 percent. If the innocence rate is 4.1 percent, more than twice the rate of exoneration, an untold number of innocent people have been executed. Basically, every 1 in 25 people who is sentenced to death in the United States is innocent. The Death Penalty is killing innocent people and we’re going to support this? The death penalty doesn’t improve anything in today’s society.The criminal doesn’t even understand their mistake or the consequences. They’re dead. They don’t have the time to repent or attempt to apologize for their mistakes. Killing a major terrorist doesn’t make the world a better place. In fact, it does the very opposite. It endangers the state itself. When a criminal is killed, their friends or family members look for revenge. The state is prompting hypothetical events such as these to occur. Everyone sees the death penalty from a different perspective and we need to take these views into account.

BaconToesPogue