frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Vaccination should be mandatory past a certain age and subsidized by the government

Debate Information

Rather than starting off with an argument on this topic, I'd like to see where people take it. I will, however, state my personal perspective. While I don't think that all vaccination for every possible disease should be mandatory, I do believe that there are some vaccines that should be required for people with strong enough immune systems at the correct ages. That would include: measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), tetanus, diptheria and pertussis (TDaP), influenza, and human papillomavirus (HPV). If you want to address this position, you're welcome to do so, but please do present your perspective on this issue and why you hold it.
comey_testifyjoecavalry
  1. Live Poll

Should vaccination be mandatory?

9 votes
    1. Yes, all vaccinations should be mandatory
      33.33%
    2. Yes, but only for specific vaccinations
      44.44%
    3. No, vaccinations should not be mandatory
      22.22%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• I don’t belive that vaccinations should be mandatory for any angel age and shouldn’t be funded by the government. People should have a right to choose what vaccines they receive and the government shouldn’t pay for that.
    DrCereal
  • whiteflamewhiteflame 689 Pts   -  
    I don’t belive that vaccinations should be mandatory for any angel age and shouldn’t be funded by the government. People should have a right to choose what vaccines they receive and the government shouldn’t pay for that.
    Alright. Why should an individual's right to choose trump the fact that, if that individual does get a given disease that can be prevented by vaccination, they can spread that disease to others? Particularly when you're talking about measles and influenza, where complications can actually result in death, or HPV, which can result in cervical cancer for many women, how does an individual's right to decide whether or not they want that vaccine outweigh the right of other individuals to prevent these dangerous diseases? Beyond that, you've also talked about the desire not to have the government fund this. Why do you feel that funding for infectious disease prevention is a bad thing?
    Pogue
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Vaccines should be government funded, because some people may not be able to pay vaccines. Vaccines should not be mandatory due to people not wanting some vaccines. People should be able to choose when it comes to many things, but especially their health.
    WhyTrump
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    I agree with @joecavalry that making it mandatory is not a great idea.  There is some controversial research on aome of the vaccines and people should have a right to choose.  We should make it free though and invest further innpublic awareness.
    DrCereal
    WhyTrump - a good question
    Vaccines should be government funded, because some people may not be able to pay vaccines. Vaccines should not be mandatory due to people not wanting some vaccines. People should be able to choose when it comes to many things, but especially their health.
    I'll ask you the same set of questions I asked @comey_testify:

Why should an individual's right to choose trump the fact that, if that individual does get a given disease that can be prevented by vaccination, they can spread that disease to others? Particularly when you're talking about measles and influenza, where complications can actually result in death, or HPV, which can result in cervical cancer for many women, how does an individual's right to decide whether or not they want that vaccine outweigh the right of other individuals to prevent these dangerous diseases?

Or, putting all this another way, why should an individual's right to choose regarding which vaccines they get outweigh the health and safety of others?
    WhyTrump said:
    I agree with @joecavalry that making it mandatory is not a great idea.  There is some controversial research on aome of the vaccines and people should have a right to choose.  We should make it free though and invest further innpublic awareness.
    Could you please cite the "controversial research" you're talking about? Which vaccines are backed by this research? If a vaccine isn't backed by this research and is backed by solid scientific research, should we consider making it mandatory? Also, since you agree with @joecavalry, would you mind answering the same questions I posed to him?