frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones Mentally I’ll?

Debate Information

Given current media personalities such as Alex Jones floating conspiracy theories that school shootings are “false flag” operations; given that overt paranoia and feelings of individuals and groups being “out to get you”, could some of those at the extremes that peddle such theories be considered mentally ill?

Some studies for thought:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-apes/201801/why-do-people-believe-in-conspiracy-theories

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5724570/

ErfisflatZombieguy1987
  1. Live Poll

Are conspiracy theorists mentally ill

7 votes
    1. No more than the population at large
      42.86%
    2. Yes, the most extreme examples border on mentall ill
      42.86%
    3. Even some of the more normal seeming individuals are mentally ill, in cases where it affects their l
      14.29%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Alex Jones maybe playing to the audience, establishing followship of those who believe in conspiracy theories.  It's not clear to me if he truly believes in that himself.  He is a media personality 
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Alex Jones maybe playing to the audience, establishing followship of those who believe in conspiracy theories.  It's not clear to me if he truly believes in that himself.  He is a media personality 
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat is a great example of this
    Erfisflat
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @ale5 according to himself under oath in the court battle for his kids, He doesn't believe anything he says and just plays a character and puts on a show to make money.
  • JoesephJoeseph 667 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    Yes it’s a mental illness, one only has to listen to the deranged views of our resident conspiracy theorists on here who base their worldview on a young earth model that’s also flat and covered with a glass dome , if this is not crazy enough they then claim NASA are faking images so as to keep the real truth from the world and spread the Satanic religion of Evolution and of course world governments are also in on the “plot” along with M K ultra because they are all Satanists naturally .

One would have to be insane to believe this tripe and actually our resident Flatards make Jones look like the essence of sanity .

On a side note the glorious leader of the Flat Earth society was asked “ is Mars flat like Earth “? He replied “ no because we have seen photos to demonstrate it’s not  flat “  the interviewer said “ But we have photos of a round Earth taken from Mars “?

reply “ They’re faked “ ...... Oh dear 
    ErfisflatZombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    I think they have a certain paranoid disorder, and extreme egos and the desire to feel smarter than everyone else - but I do not think this qualifies for a "mental illness". One of my undergraduate classmates was a conspiracy theorist (while studying to become a scientist, imagine that), and from conversations with him I realized that he makes himself believe in things he wants to be true - rather than genuinely detecting them as true through his regular mental processes. It is an acute case of psychological peculiarities.

Alex Jones, of course, is on another level entirely. People like Alex Jones, David Icke, Michael Moore, or, unfortunately (albeit to a much lesser extent), President Trump - are probably actors more than anything. However, any experienced actor will tell you that playing a certain role for long periods of time "leaks" that role into the actor and changes them forever. These people have been propagating the most ridiculous conspiracy theories for so long, at some point they started losing grasp with reality and genuinely started believing in their narrative. It is the same effect as dictators organizing elaborate propaganda to keep their citizens in check - and eventually believing their own propaganda.

At that stage, I think, "mental illness" is a pretty close characteristic of the state of affairs.
    Zombieguy1987
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Joeseph said:
    Yes it’s a mental illness, one only has to listen to the deranged views of our resident conspiracy theorists on here who base their worldview on a young earth model that’s also flat and covered with a glass dome , if this is not crazy enough they then claim NASA are faking images so as to keep the real truth from the world and spread the Satanic religion of Evolution and of course world governments are also in on the “plot” along with M K ultra because they are all Satanists naturally .

One would have to be insane to believe this tripe and actually our resident Flatards make Jones look like the essence of sanity .

On a side note the glorious leader of the Flat Earth society was asked “ is Mars flat like Earth “? He replied “ no because we have seen photos to demonstrate it’s not  flat “  the interviewer said “ But we have photos of a round Earth taken from Mars “?

reply “ They’re faked “ ...... Oh dear 
    Nasa does in fact fake ALL images of a spherical earth, and this is admitted. 

The claim that all people who believe in conspiracies is an ad hominem attack and basically worthless, which ignore any and all evidence entirely.

MKUltra is also admitted conspiracy fact.

Alex Jones, the leaser of TFES, etc are controlled opposition. People put in place to cause the appearance that conspiracies and their believers are all crazy to the ignorant.
    Zombieguy1987Gooberry
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    You run from any debate.
    Zombieguy1987Gooberry
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    You run from any debate.
    I don't run from debates that I don't care about 
    Erfisflat said:
    You run from any debate.
    You mean the ones you constantly comment and mark about? 
    Zombieguy1987Gooberry

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    You run from any debate.
    That's a double negative by the way. Were you saying that you run from debates you don't care about, or you don't run from debates that you care about?
    Zombieguy1987

Wayne Dyer
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    Zombieguy1987

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    You run from any debate.
    That's a double negative by the way. Were you saying that you run from debates you don't care about, or you don't run from debates that you care about?
    I "run" from debates I don't care. like your awful debates
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    You run from any debate.
    For someone who doesn't care about my debates, you sure do mark a lot of posts in them.
    Zombieguy1987Gooberry

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    You run from any debate.
    For someone who doesn't care about my debates, you sure do mark a lot of posts in them.
    Well, that's the only I way I keep myself from being bored at school. look at your crap debates.
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    You run from any debate.
    Well, that's the only I way I keep myself from being bored at school. look at your crap debates.
    So, your cure for boredom is to look at sh!t you don't care about?

Maybe you should pay attention in school, look at your debates.
    Zombieguy1987Gooberry

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat ;

"Maybe you should pay attention in school"

I would show you my grades on PowerSchool, but I'm not going to through all that trouble.

But I have 3 A's and 1 B. so you're wrong, again