frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Earth is not flat: Debate for Erfisflat

Debate Information

Position: For
I am a former flat Earther, and I have recently announced that I no longer believe in the flat Earth.

This is a 1v1 debate meant for Erfisflat. If someone else accepts they will automatically lose.

He is convinced that I am lying about being convinced in order to escape the possibility of further ridicule for being a flat Earther. So, I will use this debate as an opportunity to prove that 1. The Earth is not flat. 2. That I'm not simply lying, lol man, accept I don't agree with you anymore and move on.

For= Earth is not flat
Against= Earth is flat.

Flat Earth: The flat Earth model is an archaic conception of Earth's shape as a plane or disk. 

Round 1 is for acceptance only. Round 2 is for arguments. Round 3 is for rebuttals to round 2.

jjjjjjjjjjjjjj
aarongislander507PoguenatbaronsRS_master
  1. Live Poll

What shape is the Earth?

13 votes
    1. Flat
      15.38%
    2. Globe
      84.62%
I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
72%
Likely
28%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent: Erfisflat

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Forfeited

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    I am a former flat Earther, and I have recently announced that I no longer believe in the flat Earth.

This is a 1v1 debate meant for Erfisflat. If someone else accepts they will automatically lose.

He is convinced that I am lying about being convinced in order to escape the possibility of further ridicule for being a flat Earther. So, I will use this debate as an opportunity to prove that 1. The Earth is not flat. 2. That I'm not simply lying, lol man, accept I don't agree with you anymore and move on.

For= Earth is not flat
    Against= Earth is flat.

Flat Earth: The flat Earth model is an archaic conception of Earth's shape as a plane or disk. 

Round 1 is for acceptance only. Round 2 is for arguments. Round 3 is for rebuttals to round 2.
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    I accept
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    Thanks for accepting. Here are a few simple arguments which prove that the Earth is a globe, and not flat.

Note:

Since my opponent has recently garnered a reputation for deleting posts that he doesn't agree with, I have put this debate in the "Space" community. 

Also, my opponent is convinced that I am simply lying because I'm a weakling who couldn't handle insults (literaly what he said in a PM)

Argument 1. Chicago Skyline

My opponent believes that Joshua Nowicki's observations of the Chicago skyline prove the Earth is a flat, but when this examined closely, we can tell that this is in no way, proof of a flat Earth, but it is instead observable evidence that the Earth is a globe. Heres an article explaining it.

Argument 2. Horizon observations.

Now, the flat Earth explanation? The common explanation is that this is due to perspective.

The rebuttal: Like the Chicago Skyline, this is a horizon observation which is simple proof the Earth is a globe. Those who claim that it is due to perspective obviously don't understand perspective.

Curvature is also easily demonstrated via the power lines of Lake Pontchartrain.

So whats next?

3. Coriolis effect.

I will thank Pouge for this argument.

This wasn't really refuted well by you by the way, just met with a strawman. So good luck on this....

4. Moon phases

Moon phases are very easy proof that the traditional flat Earth spotlight sun and moon model does not work out.

On a globe, the moon has phases because the sun reflects light off of it. On the flat Earth....

This is the usual explanation for moon phases on the flat Earth.

I really shouldn't have to explain what is wrong with this video.

But, for the debate, I must.

In this shot, the video is claiming that from North America, people should notice a full moon while in South America people should notice a new moon. However, this is not even close to observable reality. It is true that In the Southern Hemisphere, people see the moon 'upside down' so the side which is shining (sunlit) seems the opposite from the Northern Hemisphere, but not in a way where a Full Moon appears to be a New Moon int he southern hemisphere.

namemcnamePogue