frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Japanese Multiplication is a cool trick that should be taught at school

Debate Information

Draw sets of parallel lines representing each digit of the first number to be multiplied (the multiplicand, see figs. 1 and 2 further below). Draw sets of parallels, perpendicular to the first sets of parallels, corresponding to each digit of the second number (the multiplier).

http://www.archimedes-lab.org/Maths2_Multiplication.html

That seems like a cool trick to multiple multi-digit numbers. It's more effective in some ways than a traditional way and should be taught at school
  1. Live Poll

Should be taught at school?

4 votes
    1. Yes
      75.00%
    2. No
      25.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    I think it's more of a parlor trick. I do think it's cool and I haven't seen it before, but I don't think it warrants being taught at school.
    anonymousdebater
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    I would want to avoid to add more stuff to an already overloaded school curriculum.  If anything, I would rather add topics to the curriculum that will actually help kids with their career and getting a job later in life...like programming classes and Artificial Intelligence 
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Chinese Abacus system is actually the best one.
    WhyTrump
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @someone234, whichever system is the best, lets pick one and learn that
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    WhyTrump said:
    You say that as if it's even close.

It's not.

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    WhyTrump said:
    You say that as if it's even close.

It's not.

@WhyTrump that video is an introduction and calm explanation. Now see:
    She does it all in her head no working out, she has physical muscle memory of abacus.

• BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    Yes, every student learns better in different ways. Some may learn better using different methods. In school, we should utilize as many strategies to students so they can learn which ones they prefer. 
    EmeryPearsonanonymousdebater
    i fart cows
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    As flashy as this method looks, it seems to be much slower than the traditional multiplication methods. For example, consider 23 * 14. You would have to draw a lot of circles and lines for this method to work - while in my head I can quickly do this instead:

23 * 10 = 230
    23 * 4  = 92
    230 + 92 = 322

That said, while practically the usefulness of this method is questionable, it could be a good idea to teach kids it nonetheless, if only to improve their math intuition.