frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

In this Debate

Equality or Equity?

Debate Information

Position: For
First of all I'd like to point out that I'm not arguing that people should be judged on the basis of their sex, I'm arguing that people should be judged on the basis of their traits and as most women and men have different traits they can"t be judged as or be equal.

Is it important that certain individuals fulfil different societal roles in order for our society to be functional? i.e. father and mother roles (disregarding biological sex), Public workers, high end managers, teachers, etc.

Is it true that certain traits are prevalent at different capacities among the female and male populations respectively?

Is it true that different traits and their prevalence lead the individuals that possess them to different achievements and specializations?

As such does it not make sense that most men and women wont achieve the same achievements and wont specialize in the same professions as different traits that are prevalent at different capacities among the female and male populations respectively will direct them at different paths?

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
100%
Likely
0%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent: CuriousGeorge

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Forfeited

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    Thank you for creating the debate, and I accept the challenge.  
    I will argue against your position.  Essentially you are saying that men and women will deviate in their career paths based on their natural tendencies.

That's a dangerous path and will be demotivating to many women who had to fight preconceived notions that women can't be bankers, computer programmers, etc.
    At the same time, many men had to fight preconceived notions that they can't be nurses, stay home dads.

The biological differences between men and women are just some of many variables in making a career or life choice, so it won't be fair to use that as the main deciding factor.