frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

"Donald Trump's biggest flaw: He's not that bright"

Debate Information

The late William T. Kelley, who taught Trump at the University of Pennsylvania, said, “Donald Trump was the dumbest goddamn student I ever had.” Tony Schwartz, the ghostwriter of “The Art of the Deal,” says Trump had “a stunning level of superficial knowledge and plain ignorance.”

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was reported to have called the president a “moron”. 

Article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chapman/ct-perspec-chapman-donald-trump-dumb-20171103-story.html
aarong
I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    No, I totally disagree.

Bush Jr. has blatantly lower-spectrum IQ and he was an extremely decent president if you ignore the Iraq War (seriously try to ignore that war itself and he wasn't that bad). Trump is hideous.

I say this as a hater of Republicans, intelligence was Bush's hugest issue he was an ok guy, Trump is vile in many ways and IQ is one of the least issues.
    WhyTrump
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    Anyone who questions Trump IQ is misquided.  That guy knows what he is doing amd is highly calculating. 
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @WhyTrump Why so? These are quotes from his teachers. 

@someone234 This debate is not about if it is a problem! 
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    I think Trump is a very smart and talented individual, but his intelligence level is lacking. His vocabulary is very poor (and I am saying it as a non-native English speaker), the substance of his speeches is very limited, and the ability to speak coherently (instead of jumping from topic to topic with no logic behind it) needs a lot of work.

He did become the president of the US, however, and he is a very successful businessman and showman. He knows at a pretty deep level how the world works and what people respond to the best. He knows how to think outside the box, how to do something everyone considers to be a political or economical suicide - and arrive at the opposite outcome.

So, "bright" as in intelligent - no, he is not. "Bright" as in smart, however - I believe he is.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    @MayCaesar

I'm curious what exactly and specifically you mean by "Smart" and "Intelligent".  You've done some work to separate the two so could you please elaborate as to what the difference between the two is?  I'm familiar with "Knowledge" (Information) and I'm certain that I understand "Intelligence" (The ability to acquire and apply knowledge) but I'm not sure how you've decided on "Smart" being something other than a synonym for Intelligence.

TL;DR: How can you believe someone to be Smart but not Intelligent when they both mean the same thing?
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• sadolitesadolite 39 Pts   -  
    Opinions, I can make anyone appear to be a moron. I find it interesting that the accusers are employees and not business owners. Which of course takes far more intelligent and understanding of people and business.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Vaulk said:
    @MayCaesar

I'm curious what exactly and specifically you mean by "Smart" and "Intelligent".  You've done some work to separate the two so could you please elaborate as to what the difference between the two is?  I'm familiar with "Knowledge" (Information) and I'm certain that I understand "Intelligence" (The ability to acquire and apply knowledge) but I'm not sure how you've decided on "Smart" being something other than a synonym for Intelligence.

TL;DR: How can you believe someone to be Smart but not Intelligent when they both mean the same thing?
    Please note that English is not my native language, so I might not "feel" these terms as well as native speakers do. The way I separate this terms is roughly as follows.

Intelligent person is someone who consistently employs deep and complex thought process, taking all potential factors into account. You could say that their mental field of view is very wide, and whenever they make a conclusion, that conclusion is based on a large array of data and theories.
    Smart person is someone who can quickly get to the core of the issue, who focuses on what is important, rather than the general picture. Such people often think outside the box and are quick to alter their behavior based on the circumstances.

An example of an intelligent, but not smart, individual is the stereotypical "nerdy scientist", someone who can solve extremely complicated math problems, but cannot go to a grocery store without getting into a funny situation.
    An example of a smart, but not intelligent, person (aside from Trump, that is) is Ace Ventura, who doesn't know much about anything and does not understand what is going on around him - but whose investigative skills are amazing, who can see a drop of sand on the ground and say, "Aha, this means that the animal I'm looking for was kidnapped from the zoo by the monopoly guy".

Trump is extremely good at feeling what exactly he should do or say at the time to appeal to his audience. Even though his knowledge (aside from the business field) is extremely lacking, and his depth of thinking is so low that he often trails off his point mid-sentence - he does know how to achieve his immediate goals by noticing subtle patterns in the world around him and using them to his advantage.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Donald Trump is very smart. He graduated from a good university and ran a business for many years.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • sadolitesadolite 39 Pts   -  
    Trump has created 515 businesses and only 11 of them failed. that's a 98.64% success rate. he has a better track record than Elon Musk by an order of magnitude. that's WITHOUT the billions of dollars of government funding that Musk received.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    sadolite said:
    Trump has created 515 businesses and only 11 of them failed. that's a 98.64% success rate. he has a better track record than Elon Musk by an order of magnitude. that's WITHOUT the billions of dollars of government funding that Musk received.
    LOL, that reminds me of an article I read recently;

sadolite