frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

I actually think I understand Flat Earth Theory. Understanding isn't concluding.

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    EmeryPearson
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Pogue They are not all 'flat'. From Jupiter up they form shapes and work in ways you can't even fathom as that is 5D+
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -  
    @someone234

His personal perception is irrelevant. So are most Youtube videos, I wouldn't rely on them for information, else you may end up believing in a flat-Earth. :P
    @EmeryPearson His personal perception was also wrong because in Antarctica the reason he was only able to get 'half way in' is there is only 'half way in'.
    @someone234

He also referred to the 'Bottom' of the Earth as if it was a globe. 
    @EmeryPearson Don't blame the man for not being a conspiracy theorist, appreciate the man for the way he thinks and explained the importance of the poles and why governments would hide if they found something worthwhile in them.
    EmeryPearson
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Another disproof of the flat Earth is Paleoclimates. Antartica has coal. Coal is only formed in areas with plants. Antartica is too cold for that. So it would have had to have been closer to the Equator where it is hotter. If Antartica is a wall, this would be impossible. 

This always gets ignored by you guys.

Here do this test at home but make sure you have a clear view.

Best o, experiment 3. Watch the sunset lying down

As detailed by the folks at MinutePhysics, the horizon is one of the easiest ways to validate the Earth’s curvature. As the sun dips behind the horizon, it slips from your view in a bottom-up direction. If you watch the sunset while lying on your back, and then hop up as the last rays disappear, then you should be able to see the sunset again.

The same pattern applies to ships as they sail away — their hulls disappear from the bottom up. As MinutePhysics points out, if the Earth didn’t curve and the horizon didn’t exist, when you looked at Chicago from across Lake Michigan, you’d be able to see the Rocky Mountains.

These prove Earth's curvature:

1. Look at eclipses

Lunar Eclipse GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY

Every once in a while, the Earth passes between the Moon and the Sun, creating a phenomenon known as the Lunar Eclipse.

The Earth casts a shadow on the Moon as it passes through so if you look closely enough (a decent telescope should do it), you might be able to see a shaded arc. It’s always an arc and never a square or a rectangle.

2. Send a camera into space

Animated GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY

Companies like Sent Into Space have special balloon kits that allow you to send whatever you like into space and back. Look at this, a guy sent a camera to space and the Earth is round:  https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/homemade-spacecraft-reaches-100000-ft-films-the-whole-way-1287792/.

3. Watch the sun go over the horizon while lying down, then quickly stand up

If you watch the sunset lying down, you’ll find it disappears in the horizon. But if you stand up, you should still be able to see the sun as it sets on the distant horizon.

And if you happen to be at the ocean looking at ships, they will appear to emerge from the ocean – in a bottom-up direction. This is possible only because the ocean follows the curvature of the Earth and gradually drops from our line of sight.

If the earth was flat the water would stay at the same level.

4. The stars

If you go to a different part of the world, you’ll notice the constellations there are completely different.

A phenomenon first observed by Aristotle many, many years ago when he was returning from Egypt, the premise is the further you go away from the equator the further known constellations go towards the horizon.

This phenomenon can only be explained by a round surface.

Aristotle also concluded the Earth wasn’t very large because a small change in the distance makes a huge difference in terms of what we see in the night sky.

In the flat Earth model, you could not see the same constellations and stars in S.A. and Africa (or S.A. and Australia or Africa and Australia) (the two will both be night) because you would only be able to see the front. Also, the stars that are only able to see in the Northern Hemisphere would be visible in the South.

Globe: 

Flat:

5. Time zones

Time Zones GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY

Our planet is divided into 24 time zones, this is taking into account the position of the Sun and the Earth's rotation. The Sun isn’t visible to everyone at the same time.

But that wouldn’t be the case if the Earth was flat. If the Sun shone directionally on a flat Earth, we would be able to see at all times.

So basically, the only way these timezones can happen is if the world is spherical.

time zones

We have time zones because when the Sun is illuminating one side of the spherical Earth, the other side is dark.

This can only be explained if the world is round, and rotating around its own axis. At a certain point when the sun is shining on one part of the Earth, the opposite side is dark, and vice versa. That allows for time differences and time zones, specifically ones that are larger than 12 hours.

Another point concerning time zones, the sun, and Earth: If the sun was a “spotlight” (very directionally located so that light only shines on a specific location) and the world was flat, we would see the sun even if it didn’t shine on top of us (as you can see in the drawing below). Similarly, you can see the light coming out of a spotlight on a stage in the theater, even though you—the crowd—are sitting in the dark. The only way to create two distinctly separate time zones, where there is complete darkness in one while there’s light in the other as if the world is spherical.

debunking the sun as spotlight theory

Before I get into it, I want to say two things, on the top of the Burj Kalfa the sun sets 2 minutes later than the bottom. Also, if you do not have a model, you can not know if the flat Earth explains what happens.

I guess I will start and since you guys did not debunk these yet I will repost them.

There are so many more ways you can prove to yourself the Earth is round. You can see more things the higher up you are. Long suspension bridges’ towers slope slightly away from one another to account for the curvature of the Earth. Every other planet is a spinning sphere. Satellites exist (as proven by the existence of your iPhone), and obey rules that only work if they’re orbiting around Earth. We’ve taken many, many pictures of Earth. Buy a weather balloon and strap a camera to it.

Satellites have to exist for the internet to work. The TV would not be here without relativity which involves gravity. The ISS exists because you can clearly see it if it goes above your location. You can easily watch the youtube live stream from the ISS.

Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same thing: Spinning masses of air sucking moisture from the ocean, dumping it back on us and destroying things in their path. A hurricane is just a giant wind drain—a low-pressure center with winds flushing into it. The wind always blows counter-clockwise inwards in Northern Hemisphere hurricanes—check out this picture of Hurricane Katrina and the United States. Notice the direction the wind is traveling with a compass, depending on where the Hurricane is.

However, in the Southern Hemisphere, the wind travels the opposite direction. Here’s a picture of Hurricane Catarina, a very rare Southern Hemisphere Atlantic Hurricane:

Notice that Catarina is very clearly spinning in the opposite direction. That’s because of the Coriolis effect—the wind changes direction as the planet spins. If the Earth wasn’t spinning, the wind should blow straight into the middle of the hurricane from all directions. But the Earth spins faster at the equator than at the poles, because our planet’s midsection has the furthest distance to travel with each rotation. Winds traveling northwards or southwards curve as they travel from slower spinning to faster spinning regions of the planet. The wind carves the opposite direction based on whether you are above or below the equator since the Earth’s rotation gets slower on alternate sides.

You can recreate this by spinning a basketball on your finger, and moving a marker from the bottom up or the top down—notice what the line looks like above and below the middle of the ball.

Okay, let’s try to explain all that with a flat Earth. If Earth was a giant spinning plate with the North Pole at its center, all hurricanes should spin in the same direction and should have a much more spiral shape the further south (i.e., away from the center) you head. You could maybe slow down the spins further from the center of the spinning plate, but then you should see the continents ripping apart from the different speeds. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Look at this, a guy sent a camera to space and the Earth is round:  https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/homemade-spacecraft-reaches-100000-ft-films-the-whole-way-1287792/.

The video proves why the Coriolis effect is real and is dictated by hemisphere.  The important parts are from 1:44-5:35. It has a controlled experiment. In the end, it explains why there is a difference between hemispheres. It works because it does. To understand this, think of a pool at the geographic poles. It is stationary relative to Earth, but every sidereal day, it is actually completing one full rotation. The part further away from the pole and closer to the equator move faster because it has to complete a larger movement in the same amount of time (that is why rockets are launched closer to the equator. When the plug is pulled (part of the experiment) everything is moving toward the drain in the middle. The far side is faster so it gets ahead while the slower part is too slow so it lags behind.

Edit: The video was a picture by accident because I copied and pasted my arguments. Here is the video:

What about these then, 

The critical point here is disappearing OVER the horizon, not disappearing simply because they are small boats that are too small to see. Also, what about the majority of observations? This video claims it is not visible, but

Shows curve because you can the wake of the boat. 

Also, look at this, 

EmeryPearson
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
    I replied calmly to that and am not going to reply a spam-troll.

I am not @Erfisflat, I will not bite your bait. Stay calm and resolute in the seeking of truth trust not NASA nor god but both and yet neither.

All is to be understood and all is to be challenged.
    EmeryPearson
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  

I am not @Erfisflat, I will not bite your bait. Stay calm and resolute in the seeking of truth trust not NASA nor god but both and yet neither.

We are debating if the Earth is flat. You did not respond or even attempt to debunk it. 
    EmeryPearson

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    @someone234

"Then you should be shocked to find out that the highest authorities in science are all corrupt and that the only way to verify their science is with them... Yes."

Er, I thought we were debating flat earth, not global conspiracies. Are you proposing that the Earth is Flat, or that there is a Global Conspiracy to present the earth as a globe? These are two different claims.

"You can only verify space science by appealing to the corrupt organisations to verify their own data. "

There is no central authority on science. 
    Why do you think you live on a spinning ball?

@pogue I'm not interested in you your stolen copy/paste arguments.
    someone234
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    @someone234

Pogue is not spamming. He is reiterating an argument which refutes yours.

Pogue
    Pogue said:

We are debating if the Earth is flat. You did not respond or even attempt to debunk it. 
    someone234 said:
    someone234 said:
    @Pogue We have never ever seen a planet we have seen something projected on the sky and never come close to 'visiting' it.

• PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    @someone234

"Then you should be shocked to find out that the highest authorities in science are all corrupt and that the only way to verify their science is with them... Yes."

Er, I thought we were debating flat earth, not global conspiracies. Are you proposing that the Earth is Flat, or that there is a Global Conspiracy to present the earth as a globe? These are two different claims.

"You can only verify space science by appealing to the corrupt organisations to verify their own data. "

There is no central authority on science. 
    Why do you think you live on a spinning ball?

@pogue I'm not interested in you your stolen copy/paste arguments.
    They're not stolen. I change so many words so it is mine. It is copied and pasted, however. It is copied and pasted because I am not going to retype that monster. Also, I keep adding to it because they are my words. Meaning it is not stolen. 

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Pogue said:

someone234 said:
    someone234 said:
    @Pogue We have never ever seen a planet we have seen something projected on the sky and never come close to 'visiting' it.

I am not watching a video. I did with the first one in which you did not respond to. I responded to the last one. 

I friended myself! 
    @someone234

That doesn't make sense, your own source believed the Earth to be round.
    Pogue
    @EmeryPearson No, the sky is round but not the earth. You don't comprehend the idea.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @EmeryPearson No, the sky is round but not the earth. You don't comprehend the idea.
    Also, your beliefs do not align with the flat Earth map or reality at all. From what I understand from what you are saying is is that there are 9 flat planets/planes (even though Pluto is not a planet). I also take away that the other planets are in line with Earth. Since, according to you, the sun is orbiting above Earth, do the other planes have stars orbiting above them? Also, is the dome around them or does each of them have a dome?

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue

SATAN - T = NASA

PLANE + T = :)
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue

SATAN - T = NASA

PLANE + T = :)
    Your equation is wrong. You have to rearrange the letters to get Nasa. Also, English is not the only language and this does not prove anything. '-'

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue The words Satan and NASA are from English not Latin.
    Pogue
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue The words Satan and NASA are from English not Latin.
    "The words Satan and NASA are from English, not Latin."
    I never said anything about Latin. You again ignored my entire argument. 

I friended myself! 
    @someone234

Pogue is not spamming. He is reiterating an argument which refutes yours.

are you ignoring me? It seems like you are avoiding me, would you like me to refute pogues arguments? Would you talk to me then? I'm mainly interested in science. Do you perform any experiments?
    someone234Pogue
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    Surely by now you've searched and asked Google why you think you live on a spinning ball.

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat ;

Why would I rely on my own personal perception of the Earth? I don't do this concerning anything scientific, and I wouldn't concerning the shape of the Earth either. 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Erfisflat Google is actually very unbiased in the global conspiracy, possibly the most innocent of the corporations. that's why you can youtube about flat earth but can't post on FB about it,

Google is less NSA and more CIA. If you're a threat to them, Google has all your info but if you lay low and just talk quietly in a corner, Google doesn't snitch. Facebook on the other hand...

My phone is Google, my browser Google, my email Google and my search engine Google.

I know who to trust. Google wants information, it doesn't want power. Information is power but Google doesn't want the latter. I have researched a lot into how the stocks and shares work and how the company has evolved and who it's allied with. Google is the watchdog for the illuminati, it's not in the inner circle because it doesn't want to be. I am thankful.
    PogueEmeryPearson
    @someone234

He also referred to the 'Bottom' of the Earth as if it was a globe. 
    He also mention a land equal to the the United States in size being on the other side of the south pole too. This was used in the hollow earth theory, claiming mister Byrd went inside the earth, but in the flat earth reality, he probably just found another continent, if we consider his testimony truth.

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat

Testimony isn't science. 
    @Erfisflat ;

Why would I rely on my own personal perception of the Earth? I don't do this concerning anything scientific, and I wouldn't concerning the shape of the Earth either. 
    wait, you're willing to take someone else's word for something. Is this not just a appeal to authority fallacy? Why would you take someone's word for something that you can measure yourself? It is literally underneath your feet.
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat Google is actually very unbiased in the global conspiracy, possibly the most innocent of the corporations. that's why you can youtube about flat earth but can't post on FB about it,

Google is less NSA and more CIA. If you're a threat to them, Google has all your info but if you lay low and just talk quietly in a corner, Google doesn't snitch. Facebook on the other hand...

My phone is Google, my browser Google, my email Google and my search engine Google.

I know who to trust. Google wants information, it doesn't want power. Information is power but Google doesn't want the latter. I have researched a lot into how the stocks and shares work and how the company has evolved and who it's allied with. Google is the watchdog for the illuminati, it's not in the inner circle because it doesn't want to be. I am thankful.
    It's not that. For someone to have the need to ask someone, ANYONE why they think such a truism is actually true is completely absurd to me.

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat

This is a strawman. In no instance did I say I relied on someone else's word. 

Why? I don't do this for ANY scientific concept, why should I make an exception for Flat Earth?
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Erfisflat

This is a strawman. In no instance did I say I relied on someone else's word. 

Why? I don't do this for ANY scientific concept, why should I make an exception for Flat Earth?
    I guess I misunderstood, i thought that "Why would I rely on my own personal perception of the Earth?"

Meant that you don't trust your own common senses, and you would rather rely on someone else's perception of the earth.

Also, I can't say why you rely on authority consistently, maybe it's because you think they are smarter than you?

Wayne Dyer
    If I told you I could fly, would you believe me? Have you, or anyone you know seen the earth as a ball?
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    In your own words, "Testimony isn't science."
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    What's the number one reason you think you live on a spinning ball? @emerypearson

Wayne Dyer
    Record holder for longest distance photographed: https://beyondhorizons.eu/2016/08/03/pic-de-finestrelles-pic-gaspard-ecrins-443-km/ Pic Gaspard is photographed some 276 miles away from Pic de Finestrelles. Using the earth curve calculator with an observer height of 9,272 feet, which is the highest point on Finestrelles, an object 12,730 feet high and 276 miles away should be 3,270 feet below the horizon, impossibly out of view on the ball earth theory. This is over 1/2 mile of missing curvature. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pic_de_Finestrelles https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pic_Gaspard http://tjpeiffer.com/crowflies.html https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=273&h0=9272&unit=imperial @Emerypearson

Wayne Dyer
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Erfisflat

I am not subject to the scientific method or peer reveiw, my personal experience is literally anecdotal. Which is why testimony isn't evidence.

If I relied on personal experience alone, I would have claimed the Earth is flat until 2008 or so.
    @Erfisflat

I am not subject to the scientific method or peer reveiw, my personal experience is literally anecdotal. Which is why testimony isn't evidence.

If I relied on personal experience alone, I would have claimed the Earth is flat until 2008 or so.
    It's only anectdotal for anyone else. Which is what you're doing, relying on some astronots anectdotal evidence for the earth being a spinning ball. What would have made you change your mind in 2008? 

Do you even know what science is?
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    This is a Straw Man. I did not say I relied an ancedotes.

I didn't change my mind, the Earth was round prior to me witnessing the curvature first hand.
    This is a Straw Man. I did not say I relied an ancedotes.

I didn't change my mind, the Earth was round prior to me witnessing the curvature first hand.
    Again, i apologize if i misrepresented your position. When did you see this alleged curve?
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat

Irrelevant, as witnessing the curvature myself didn't impact the fact that the Earth is round.
    @Erfisflat

Irrelevant, as witnessing the curvature myself didn't impact the fact that the Earth is round.
    So we're back to ground zero. You haven't a clue what makes you think you live on a spinning ball. Were you on a plane?
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat

This is an Ad Hominem.

@EmeryPearson if you want, tell me your anecdotal evidence. I won't come.from the angle of you being unreliable or a .
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat
    So, are you going to counter my argument instead of just saying "stolen copy/paste arguments"? 

Here, please just do this easy one.
    Another disproof of the flat Earth is Paleoclimates. Antartica has coal. Coal is only formed in areas with plants. Antartica is too cold for that. So it would have had to have been closer to the Equator where it is hotter. If Antartica is a wall, this would be impossible. 
    Erfisflat

I friended myself! 
    Is it true? You're welcome to correct me at any time.

Wayne Dyer
    Pogue said:
    @Erfisflat
    So, are you going to counter my argument instead of just saying "stolen copy/paste arguments"? 

Your proof that you live on a spinning ball is that someone told you that Antarctica has coal? Come on.
    Pogue

Wayne Dyer
    I'm not insulting you, I didn't have a clue at first why I thought I was a monkey on a spinning ball, and I considered it to be a fact, just 3 short years ago.

Wayne Dyer
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Erfisflat said:
    Pogue said:
    @Erfisflat

Your proof that you live on a spinning ball is that someone told you that Antarctica has coal? Come on.
    No. That was to debunk the flat Earth. But I guess it does that too. Your argument is a straw man. Here, take the links. 
    http://www.globalclassroom.org/antarct3.html ;

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/segweb/economicgeology/article-abstract/75/6/936/19385/coal-in-antarctica redirectedFrom=PDF 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Antarctica ;

https://www.worldcoal.com/coal/14032016/mapping-antarctica-coal-coal2016-388/ https://discoveringantarctica.org.uk/challenges/sustainability/mineral-resources/ ;

http://www.globalclassroom.org/antarct3.html https://www.azomining.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=239 ;

https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica fact file/science/threats_mining_oil.php 

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-coal-in-Antarctica-Was-it-once-a-temperate-climate ;

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1971/03/antarctica-the-great-discovery-at-coalsack-bluff?lang=eng ;

Here, take the pages. https://www.google.com/search?q=antarctica+found+with+coal&rlz=1CAACAR_enUS768US768&ei=--q6WvT8Icvr5gK-0I2IAw&start=10&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=646&safe=active&ssui=on ;

https://www.google.com/search?q=antarctica+found+with+coal&rlz=1CAACAR_enUS768US768&ei=s-26Wqi-A4S45gL2vaOgBg&start=20&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=646&safe=active&ssui=on ;

https://www.google.com/search?q=antarctica+found+with+coal&rlz=1CAACAR_enUS768US768&ei=4-26WvTlBYaL5wKq0arwDw&start=30&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=646&safe=active&ssui=on

Here, take some google scholar links. 
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/169/3942/274 ;

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ba-1966-0055.ch011

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031018296000326 ;

chrome-extension://ecnphlgnajanjnkcmbpancdjoidceilk/content/web/viewer.html?source=extension_pdfhandler&file=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Facademia.edu.documents%2F6618610%2F31_Antarctic_Permian_wood.pdf%3FAWSAccessKeyId%3DAKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A%26Expires%3D1522203778%26Signature%3Dp%252BJ2tlR%252BvS31F6BmA1qFHJCisrM%253D%26response-content-disposition%3Dinline%253B%2520filename%253DFossil_woods_from_the_Upper_Permian_Bain.pdf 
    Erfisflat

I friended myself! 
    @someone234

" if you want, tell me your anecdotal evidence. I won't come.from the angle of you being unreliable or a ."

I don't have any anecdotes to offer you. And you have no proof that I lie.
    @Erfisflat

Ad Hominem isn't necessarily an insult. You are assuming something of my character (I am clueless) to posit why my claim is incorrect. Which is an Ad Hominem.