frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is the Christian God evil? Or any God that is worshipped and is said to be all-powerful?

Debate Information

Is god evil? Or any God that is worshipped and is said to be all-powerful? Why would he create evil? Does this make him evil?

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. 
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. 
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? 
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

― Epicurus
  1. Live Poll

Is god evil?

5 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%
    3. I do not know
        0.00%
I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Pogue What is god? What do you mean by god? You asked is god able. That is a question that can't be answered unless I know what god you speak of. And if I can't know that how do I know if he is willing? How can I argue if he is evil or not?
    EmeryPearson
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Nope said:
    Pogue What is god? What do you mean by god? You asked is god able. That is a question that can't be answered unless I know what god you speak of. And if I can't know that how do I know if he is willing? How can I argue if he is evil or not?
    Ok. You are right. I will make it a little more specific. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Gods of all religions are real. Read between the lines.

The first commandment says to put no God before/above the Christian God but it doesn't say put no God equal to him.

God is actually a female entity and she is to be worshipped, pleased but ultimately she respects dominance and doesn't want to be feared.

It's a complex relationship that I and God have. I am cocky, think myself to be a god amongst men and see more of Satan in myself than Jesus. Despite all this, God loves me; she gets excited watching me dominate you all like I'm a cat and you're vermin. It is because I am so ready to become god that god enjoys me best.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue ;
    God does the greatest good.

Analogy: Trolley Dilemma
    Summary: Suppose there is a trolley, and it is going to hit five workers. You can change the track and hit some other person (Person A). From Person A's perspective, he/she sees you intentionally switch the track and kill him/her.

Sometimes, we cannot see what would have been. We see our current state.
    But why would they not do anything? From what I have read and heard, God helps people who do not really need it. There are homeless people and people starving and dying from a disease. Why does he not help them? Why allow crime and despicable acts. 

"Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent." 

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue ;
    God does the greatest good.

Analogy: Trolley Dilemma
    Summary: Suppose there is a trolley, and it is going to hit five workers. You can change the track and hit some other person (Person A). From Person A's perspective, he/she sees you intentionally switch the track and kill him/her.

Sometimes, we cannot see what would have been. We see our current state.
    You are not able to compare a human action that helps some people and an omnipotent being's action that does no good but actually does harm. That is a false comparison fallacy. https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/97/Faulty-Comparison

I friended myself! 
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -  
    Which God?

God's are only capable of being evil if they are conceptualized that way, or if your subjective morals differ than from those who conceptualized said God. Literally however, they cannot be evil, as personal deities do not exist. 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    The Christian God is not evil, they are the alpha-villain in a world where everyone else is defined as more evil than them. This religion is actually quite fascinating because not even Islam or any other religion has the idea that all are sinners and we are all in negative karma trying to repent. 

I am an extremely deep studier of all religions and I assure you, Christianity has the most fascinating arrangement of morality that makes it okay for God to be the bad guy and still be good relative to the story.
    EmeryPearson
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    The Christian god as depicted in the Bible  is the personification of evil and the veracity of my words can be verified by using the Bible to demonstrate the facts of the claim 
    @someone234

"The Christian God is not evil, they are the alpha-villain in a world where everyone else is defined as more evil than them."

The Christian God is defined by the Bible, and the Bible states God created all evil.

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." - Isaiah 45:7

@EmeryPearson he creates evil and good. That part we know.
    @someone234

Then he is responsible for all Evil.
    @EmeryPearson then he is responsible for all good.
    EmeryPearson
    @someone234

Which is irrelevant concerning the original post.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @someone234
    Why would God create evil? Why? What is the point? What good does this do for them or us? Why does God not help or fix it? God helps people who do not need it, just want it!

Surely an all-powerful magical being could do this. If they can, but not willing to, they are malevolent. God could have created free-will without us killing people. If this magical God wanted to get rid of evil, why not "make" us not have the temptation and be biologically made for that. I know you believe in a female God so the rest of this is irrelevant to you.

In the Bible, this God killed every animal and plant and insect except for two of every species and killed all humans except eight (from my memory). This God divided the humans by creating languages (not the only thing that divides us but it does for a reason). God "created" us to be the way we are and the humans that were "reaching" for "heaven".  We really do not have good acts from him in the Bible. If anything, God is the villain in this world.

I friended myself! 
    @EmeryPearson but is it irrelevant? God could have created nothing in your theory yes?

He chose to give things a chance. (He didn't, he is a she and the real god had no say in her fate but that's for another time)
    Pogue said:
    @someone234
    Why would God create evil? Why? What is the point? What good does this do for them or us? Why does God not help or fix it? God helps people who do not need it, just want it!

Surely an all-powerful magical being could do this. If they can, but not willing to, they are malevolent. God could have created free-will without us killing people. If this magical God wanted to get rid of evil, why not "make" us not have the temptation and be biologically made for that. I know you believe in a female God so the rest of this is irrelevant to you.

In the Bible, this God killed every animal and plant and insect except for two of every species and killed all humans except eight (from my memory). This God divided the humans by creating languages (not the only thing that divides us but it does for a reason). God "created" us to be the way we are and the humans that were "reaching" for "heaven".  We really do not have good acts from him in the Bible. If anything, God is the villain in this world.
    This is a very funny questioning system and I shall address it as such.

God 'created evil' because to create anything conscious and living, you need to give it something to be evil for. What did I just say? I said, if you're a living, conscious being, you fight for two reasons: Pleasure or Pain. You want to maintain pleasure and avoid pain. Now, I make 2 living beings, sure they can have sex be happy together alright alright.

Now I make a man, a man and a woman and the chick just aint that into open relationships... Evil. So I add another female but both females like the same , oops. It's not easy being God.

You think you know what god should or could do but who are you to judge him? God in the Christian religion tried to make his play world and yeah sure, he wasn't the most strategic of the gods... He just kind of said 'you're all sinners, I've screwed up but I'll obviously forgive you since I admit it's my fault.'

He's a funny god, I really like him but he's just not the real one.
    @someone234

It is irrelevant as this makes God responsible for all evil. Being responsible for all good would not negate this. 
    @EmeryPearson You don't understand how to value people then.

In a max security prison, you'd rather a rapist who is on your side than a credit card fraud who is only there because they scammed a guy with a great lawyer who is your enemy or even neutral.

It isn't about what God did it's about what he can do for you.
    EmeryPearson
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @someone234

That is also irrelevant.

How I value people or their actions doesn't negate that God as described by the Bible is responsible for all evil.
    @EmeryPearson The God who created evil and everything that ensued is the only timeline and only set of events that you can be sure led to yoru existence and who you are now. In all that 'evil' came you and you need to work with God or perish with the infidels (no not by bombing them).
    EmeryPearson
    @someone234

This is irrelevant as well, the Bible states that God is responsible for all Evil. God is defined by the Bible. Simply because good outcomes can occur from evil actions, doesn't negate that God is responsible for all Evil.
    @EmeryPearson Thank you for constantly pointing out that in the Bible we are all sinners who need to repent in perpetual negative Karma and the aim is to get as close to 0 as God is. this is exactly what I said here:
    The Christian God is not evil, they are the alpha-villain in a world where everyone else is defined as more evil than them. This religion is actually quite fascinating because not even Islam or any other religion has the idea that all are sinners and we are all in negative karma trying to repent. 

I am an extremely deep studier of all religions and I assure you, Christianity has the most fascinating arrangement of morality that makes it okay for God to be the bad guy and still be good relative to the story.

@someone234

If God is responsible for all evil, there is no one more evil than God.
    @EmeryPearson If God is responsible for all the ability to overcome evil, there is no one less evil than God.
    @someone234

That doesn't make any sense, God as defined on the bible created all evil. By this definition, logically, no one may be more evil than He.
    @EmeryPearson God in the bible by definition created all good, therefore.... oh what's this? It's called logical fallacy.
    EmeryPearson
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Pogue said:
    @someone234

This is a very funny questioning system and I shall address it as such.

God 'created evil' because to create anything conscious and living, you need to give it something to be evil for. What did I just say? I said, if you're a living, conscious being, you fight for two reasons: Pleasure or Pain. You want to maintain pleasure and avoid pain. Now, I make 2 living beings, sure they can have sex be happy together alright.

Now I make a man, a man and a woman and the chick just aint that into open relationships... Evil. So I add another female but both females like the same , oops. It's not easy being God.

You think you know what god should or could do but who are you to judge him? God in the Christian religion tried to make his play world and yeah sure, he wasn't the most strategic of the gods... He just kind of said 'you're all sinners, I've screwed up but I'll obviously forgive you since I admit it's my fault.'

He's a funny god, I really like him but he's just not the real one.
    No, to create anything, you do not need evil. God could have made us not to be like that. He is omnipotent. 
    Again, God could have made us differently. An all-powerful being could have done everything differently. He is all-powerful. It is easy. 
    The God of the Christian religion is all-powerful. They can do anything. 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue Is it easy? Try to make humans without evil.
    Pogue
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @EmeryPearson God in the bible by definition created all good, therefore.... oh what's this? It's called logical fallacy.
    The God also did terrible things. There is no real act of good in the Bible that he did. He created good and evil which cancel out (sometimes) but he did way worse. 

EmeryPearson

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue Is it easy? Try to make humans without evil.
    Am I all-powerful? No. Stop comparing me to a magical God. Those are false comparisons. An all-powerful being can do anything. They are omnipotent after all. Human nature is to do evil things but God could have created us not to be evil. 
    EmeryPearson

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue Killing what you created is that not just zero sum?
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @someone234
    No, it is still wrong. God created us to be that way and we did not have to be that way. God (omnipotent) could do anything. 

I friended myself! 
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @someone234

Exactly, it is a logical fallacy, which works against said God as defined by the Bible existing in the first place.
    @Pogue that is a misinterpretation of omnipotence. God is unlimited in quantity of power but limited in forms of power.

@EmeryPearson I really don't understand how you can ignore that everything Good was this God's net effect.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue that is a misinterpretation of omnipotence. God is unlimited in quantity of power but limited in forms of power.

Funny jokes. But either way, that does nothing to affect my argument. 
    om·nip·o·tent
    adjective
    (of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.
    synonyms:    all-powerful, almighty, supreme, preeminent, most high; More
    noun
    God.

I friended myself! 
    @someone234

Because, as you stated it's a logical fallacy. One cannot create all Good and be Evil. One cannot create all evil and be good.

You're exactly right. It's logically conflicting. God as defined in the Bible is illogical.
    @Pogue No, that definition is wrong and is the one that's used to wrongly understand god.
    Pogue
    @EmeryPearson And yet I explained that in the Bible we are all sinners and trying to get to the 0 Karma that God has.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue No, that definition is wrong and is the one that's used to wrongly understand god.
    Bare assertion. Why is it wrong? What evidence supports what you are saying? You are saying a definition of a word is wrong. That is a dictionary definition. 

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @EmeryPearson And yet I explained that in the Bible we are all sinners and trying to get to the 0 Karma that God has.
    0 karma? What does that mean?

I friended myself! 
    @someone234

"And yet I explained that in the Bible we are all sinners and trying to get to the 0 Karma that God has."

You stated it was a logical fallacy, not me. Are you retracting your statements?
    @Pogue Many definitions, same word. Thank you.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue Many definitions, same word. Thank you.
    I put the all the definitions that showed up. Those are the definitions. You also did not answer my questions. Thank you.

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue ;almighty or infinite in power, as God.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/omnipotent

huge power in limited ways = correct omnipotence

unlimited ways but limited power = wrong omnipotence
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue ;almighty or infinite in power, as God.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/omnipotent

huge power in limited ways = correct omnipotence

unlimited ways but limited power = wrong omnipotence
    I never said that they had unlimited ways or limited power. It says "or". It could be either. 

I friended myself! 
    @Pogue No I am sorry but even God is the slave to its own construct. God must have its own 'brain' and this 'brain chemistry' is running its 'plans'. In the end all is certain but in origin, all was random.

In other words, chaos theory is true and determinism is also true. The two do not contradict.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue No I am sorry but even God is the slave to its own construct. God must have its own 'brain' and this 'brain chemistry' is running its 'plans'. In the end all is certain but in origin, all was random.

In other words, chaos theory is true and determinism is also true. The two do not contradict.
    Then they are not omnipotent. If they are not able to, but willing, they are not omnipotent. 

I friended myself!