frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Repeal the 1st Amendment

Debate Information

Verbal bullying accounts for a shocking amount of suicide as well as personal justification for school shootings.

So the 1st Amendment needs to be repealed and we need to start introducing severe legal punishments for saying certain things.

Thoughts?

https://www.nveee.org/statistics/
someone234
  1. Live Poll

Words are too dangerous to be left unchecked, Repeal the 1st Amendment?

14 votes
    1. Yes
        7.14%
    2. No
      92.86%
"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    We should follow France's example, they're already arresting people over there for making facebook posts that are supportive of killing people like "He deserved it".
    someone234
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Vaulk
    In the US you can't say something that causes immediate harm to some one when their was original no harm and you are looking for a specific reaction. You can't yell fire in a movie theater if their is no fire because that can cause immediate harm as people try and get out and you where most likely not an ignorant person and new that reaction would happen. I am opposed to repealing the first amendment.
    anonymousdebaterGeorge_Horse
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Nope said:
    Vaulk
    In the US you can't say something that causes immediate harm to some one when their was original no harm and you are looking for a specific reaction. You can't yell fire in a movie theater if their is no fire because that can cause immediate harm as people try and get out and you where most likely not an ignorant person and new that reaction would happen. I am opposed to repealing the first amendment.
    Exactly, and since there's already restrictions on the 2nd Amendment and more being proposed along with talk of a total Repeal...I likewise think we should just go ahead and Repeal the 1st Amendment too and be like France.
    George_Horse

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Yes. In fact most of the Constitution is utter garbage.

You don't have rights, you have privileges granted by the government. Thankfully, we aren't all being led by sh**heads like Putin or Mugabe.
  • DebateDroneDebateDrone 12 Pts   -  
    It would be easier to make suicide lawful. Lets expand rights. The right to take one's own life is the paramount of rights.

The government should have zero say.

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    It would be easier to make suicide lawful. Lets expand rights. The right to take one's own life is the paramount of rights.

The government should have zero say.

What, you mean like;

• AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    No, this is a poor response and the alternate solution can be found in the example the OP cites in their second post where they use France as an example.

France is a signatory of the European Convention on Human Rights - the EU version of the US Constitution and it too grants freedom of expression. As per article 10 of the ECHR:

"1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary".

The EU version is more restrictive than the US version, but the US version is not universal either as there are still various circumstances in the US where your freedom of speech will be overruled and which the Supreme Court has consistently ruled that the government is able to do. It's a case of how free free-speech should truly be - the bolded above being examples of restrictions which if put in place in the US would justify a restraint on people being driven to suicide.

Repeal and replace is the solution, not simply repeal.

George_Horse
    @Ampersand You should not have the right to abuse with speech, I don't understand the need for the freedom of speech when it abuses.

I admit that I have gotten into flame wars online and the reason is that I know the other won't be punished for abusing me so I lashed out back. If I knew it was a criminal offence, I'd keep my mouth shut and smile.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @someone234

You're right, we should let the Government make it a crime to speak abusively to people in general.  The U.S. Government is completely and totally trustworthy and would never create arbitrary laws or policies that serve to work against the citizens.  Furthermore the U.S. Government has an impeccable track record of being fair and free of corruption and scandal...so why not?  Let's let the Government dictate what is and isn't abusive speech and subsequently punish people for it.  

It's working really well for other Countries that have this system.  
    Nope

@Vaulk Got a problem? Shouldn't vote Trump.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    Sometimes I have to wonder just how hard I threw the ball for it to have gone so far over some people's heads.

• There is a difference between explicitly hurting another with intent and stating one's opinion. If we all did not have freedom of speech, the government would have too much power. In AP government, we learned amendments were made to give CITIZENS back power. The whole reason the USA exists, freedom and liberty. 
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    I think not, limits are already being put in place by the Supreme Court for the first amendment(since that's their most widely debated cases). 
    http://www.billofrightsinstitute.org/educate/educator-resources/landmark-cases/freedom-of-speech-general/
    i fart cows
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    All the nonsense over suicide rates? So simply because someone gets upset over a word and cannot man up and just be mature, the 1st amendment should be repealed? Absolute nonsense. I am fond the 1st amendment, and I would most certainly wouldn't want to be like North Korea or elsewhere where saying the most meaningless thing can get you imprisoned. I would also assume NO one here knows about Tommy Robinson's imprisonment, he was jailed for speaking out about the Muslim rape gangs in the UK, and he was imprisoned simply because of speaking about them. I love first amendment, and also the second, simply because you cannot handle what someone else said, does not mean the 1st amendment should be repealed. Probably some SJW got too far in her feelings and made up an absurd idea.
    Vaulk
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    In my eyes, the dangers of restricting freedom of speech far surpass the dangers of expressing freedom of speech. It is not the states that allow everyone to speak their mind that become oppressive dictatorships - it is the states that believe they have the right to dictate what people can say or not.

First and Second Amendments are truly unique legislation pieces that make the US what it is: the land where people determine their own fate, instead of letting the society determine it for them. Repealing these Amendments would make the US into another European model country, where people can live in a relative prosperity, but any attempt to leave the convenient shell of apathy and try to achieve something extraordinary leaves the individual exposed to the societal harassment.
    Vaulk
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @George_Horse

;)  Don't worry, the post (While it's not exactly crystal clear) is sarcastic with full irony implied.  Just curious how many people would actually take a flying leap into the bandwagon for deleting the 1st amendment.