frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should the death penalty be completely abolished?

Debate Information

I am currently planning to write a 30 page paper about why the death penalty is wrong in a moral sense, but I wanted to get an idea of what you think. Here are my major theses. 

1. The Death Penalty can not be listed as "killing", as in fact, it is in reality a "murder."
2. American Laws were created to protect us from the unjust, but they apply to the unjust and human rights can not be stripped of the unjust. 
3. The heinous actions of one individual meriting the death penalty does not take away from his dignity and virtues of human rights. 
4. A person should not have the job responsible for killing other people, which draws an eerie line between this and euthanasia. 

In doing so, I'll be arguing against the DP from principle and I will have to disprove the Case of Proportionality in Capital Punishment. Any ideas?
A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    1 is false... It's listed as actually neither just 'killing' nor 'murder' it's called 'execution' and is a unique legal term for the killing of someone in a retributive manner as opposed to a defensive one. This term 'execution' is actually an angle a defence lawyer can take to get a murderer let off on manslaughter as the stress of the situation and rage felt towards the other killing someone leading to them acting (or rather than killing, perhaps raping their daughter). It's rare that the person will get let off innocent but common they will get let off with around a 1-year sentence even if the word used is murder as it's seen as them having a strong moral compass for them to execute someone.

3 comes down to what the culture thinks. Saudi Arabia's culture totally disagrees with you there whereas most of western Europe is in strong agreement with you.
    2 is false. You as a civilian can't put someone in a jail/prison that you build in your house, that breaks the law but the police can.
    4 is, like 3, a matter of opinion.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    Counter-Points:

Let me first state that this a paper on why the death penalty is morally wrong, so you can take the entire paper as a matter of opinion, but I will like a debate be heavily backing my position with evidence. 

1: Although execute is a legal term, it is a guise for killing an individual ,whether for capital purposes or not, it is still ridding a person of his/her life and can thus be listed as murder for the fact that some killing is justified, but never murder.

2. I think you're missing the point here, you are trying to reference something related to the 3rd amendment, and it isn't about breaking laws, its the rights and protections that we associate with them. 

3. My paper will take the European side, again, with that and 4, I am free to take opinions in my paper. 
    someone234
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    Counter-Points:

Let me first state that this a paper on why the death penalty is morally wrong, so you can take the entire paper as a matter of opinion, but I will like a debate be heavily backing my position with evidence. 

1: Although execute is a legal term, it is a guise for killing an individual ,whether for capital purposes or not, it is still ridding a person of his/her life and can thus be listed as murder for the fact that some killing is justified, but never murder.

2. I think you're missing the point here, you are trying to reference something related to the 3rd amendment, and it isn't about breaking laws, its the rights and protections that we associate with them. 

3. My paper will take the European side, again, with that and 4, I am free to take opinions in my paper. 
    Don't ask for us to point out flaws if you don't want them pointed out, just imprison them then. Yes go ahead.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    Part of writing a paper is having the ability to defend them. Instead of discussing the points, you were either trying to list them as "false" or "an opinion." Rather, I would like to hear your moral views concerning the case, not the right or wrong gist of things. 

No William, I was helping you and coming with four very strong counter-angles to the four things you asked to be critiqued.