There are only two genders - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com. The only online debate website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the leading online debate website. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is utilizing Artifical Intelligence to transform online debating.

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

There are only two genders
in United States

Try me. Tell me there are more. Come with facts to. Your gender is whats in your pants and on your chest. Only two combinations for that. Unless your counting bigenders. They exist.
VortexLeaderZombieguy1987
Sovereignty for Kekistan

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1016 Pts
    edited April 2018
    Try me. Tell me there are more. Come with facts to. Your gender is whats in your pants and on your chest. Only two combinations for that. Unless your counting bigenders. They exist.
    When you refer to big-enders, do you mean people like Kim Kardashian?  I don't see how they rate their own special gender. 

funperson
  • I identify as an attack helicopter ;)
    Zombieguy1987
    Sovereignty for Kekistan
  • I identify as an attack helicopter ;)
    In society an attack helicopter is not a term that has set pronouns to refer to it in the form of a live human being, this causes it to be something that you first need to mainstream to truly expect people to identify you as given that neither 'he' she' or 'they' applies but instead 'it' does.
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 123 Pts
    edited May 2018
    Just depends on prespective. If you associate gender = biological sex, there are only two genders. If you associate gender = a collection of social and cultural norms, you'll likely find an 'other' catagory to exist.

'Gender' simply isn't as specific as 'sex'.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gender

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sex
  • AmericanFurryBoy

There are only two genders

Yeah. Everyone knows that. So?

• AlecAlec 69 Pts
    Gender is not a social construct.  The male brain is different from the female brain according to the NIH(https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-funded-study-reveals-how-differences-male-female-brains-emerge).  The article states, "From this developmental state, distinctly male or female features eventually emerge,” said Dr. Hobert."

If this is due to how males and females were raised in one particular society, then explain why every society that has ever existed on this planet has had pretty much the exact same gender roles.  Males were interested in universally male things and females were interested in universally female things.  There were exceptions, but these exceptions were rare and the people who had them still identified with their biological sex.

If gender is a social construct, then what does it mean to be a male and what does it mean to be a female?
  • @Alec this may be the most uninformed comment I have ever read on this site. In Scotland the men wear kilts, basically a skirt. Do you have an interest in that? In Victorian England it was common for men to wear lots of makeup, do you have an interest in that? In some African countries it's common for men who are friends to walk around with their pinkies locked together, do you have an interest in that? In Japanese Kabuki theatre it's been common for men to play the roles of women, do you have an interest in that?

All these things I listed are common in their respective societies for males and not females. These are special circumstances, or rare things, they are as ingrained as men in America having an interest in sports. There is no such thing as universally male things in every society that has ever existed. Please educate yourself before you try to sound so sure of yourself next time.
  • AlecAlec 69 Pts
    WordsMatter 

I'll be willing to concede that some aspects of how people act are from society, such as how they dress in some countries.  However, men in virtually every society that has ever existed are:

-More likely to be the "breadwinners" in the family.
    -More likely to be competitive.
    -More likely to be aggressive.
    -More likely to be fast and strong, as in primitive societies, they were the hunters.
    -More likely to be imprisoned because they are more likely to be violent.
    -More likely to be interested in sex.
    -More likely to want to be promiscuous.
    -Less likely to be into raising kids as women.
    -Less likely to take ample amounts of time off from work because of a sickness in the family, even when they earn less then their wives.

• AlecAlec 69 Pts
    WordsMatter 

I'll be willing to concede that some aspects of how people act are from society, such as how they dress in some countries.  However, men in virtually every society that has ever existed are:

-More likely to be the "breadwinners" in the family.
    -More likely to be competitive.
    -More likely to be aggressive.
    -More likely to be fast and strong, as in primitive societies, they were the hunters.
    -More likely to be imprisoned because they are more likely to be violent.
    -More likely to be interested in sex.
    -More likely to want to be promiscuous.
    -Less likely to be into raising kids as women.
    -Less likely to take ample amounts of time off from work because of a sickness in the family, even when they earn less then their wives.