frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

transgenderism is absurd

Debate Information

Before I begin, I would like to announce that its great to be back, as I have not been particularly active on this site for quite a long period of time. Hello everybody, I wish to see some new faces and new debaters.

The modern mode of thought seems to orbit around this idea of subjectivity, and many things that were once set in stone are now considered subjective concepts. Gender has also fallen victim to this subjectivist worldview, and a large portion of the population seems to believe that gender is malleable, although all science points towards the contrary. So why has this false dogma spread like wildfire?  it likely because of the unfortunate fact that if something is repeated multiple times it is believed. Today this flawed and fallacy ridden idea of the malleability of gender will be refuted at both the scientific and social level. I will then summarize my contentions and welcome my opposition. 

Beginning with my scientific contentions:

1. There are significant biological brain differences between females and males

It is a well-known scientific fact that male brains and female brains are significantly different. Male brains are characterized by systemizing tendencies, which is the drive to construct or analyze a system. The systemizer tinkers with various systems to discover their inner workings, in order to apply this to new systems. 

The female brain, however, is characterized by the empathizing characteristic,  which is the drive to understand one's emotions and thoughts and respond with an appropriate emotion.  In the words of Psychology today,  

"The male brain is characterized by systemizing tendencies (to use Baron-Cohen’s term) and mechanistic thinking (to use Crespi and Badcock’s term). “Systemizing” is the drive to analyze, explore, and construct a system. The systemizer intuitively figures out how things work, or extracts the underlying rules that govern the behavior of a system. The purpose of this is to understand and predict the system or to invent a new one.

In contrast, the female brain is characterized by empathizing tendencies (to use Baron-Cohen’s term) or mentalistic thinking (to use Crespi and Badcock’s term). “Empathizing” is the drive to identify another person’s emotions and thoughts, and to respond to them with an appropriate emotion. Empathizing occurs when we feel an appropriate emotional reaction in response to the other person’s emotions. The purpose of this is to understand another person, to predict his or her behavior, and to connect or resonate with him or her emotionally." 

The origins of this basic human truth can be traced back to ancient hunter-gatherer societies, in which the males would build and invent new tools and various other contraptions, and women would tend to children, this has come to be known as "gender roles". 

The reasons for these differences are often linked to prenatal testosterone levels, with men being exposed to more prenatal testosterone than women.

Now although there are other minor brain differences between the sexes, such as the fact that women tend to be better at multitasking, and men tend to be better at visuospatial matters, systemizing-empathizing seems to be the main difference. These biological facts explain a large portion of gender disparities in certain fields and university subjects, such as the fact that there is a far greater proportion of men to women in fields such as engineering or physics, which tends to attract the systemizing brain, or a far greater proportion of women to men in fields such as primatology, which tend to attract the empathizing brain.

Transgenders often do not behave like the opposite sex, in fact often times they tend to fit into the empathizing-systemizing categories, however, the argument is made that they feel so, which is not a logically sound argument, as facts are facts no matter one's feelings. Now one may include studies of transgenders which state that those who claim to be the opposite sex have brains similar to that of the opposite sex, however (1) this is a small fraction of the transgender population, (2) behavioural differences are not the only biological factors behind gender, the main biological factor of gender are chromosomes.

2. Chromosomes decide gender

the XX chromosome creates females, while the XY chromosome creates males. This decides the kind of genitalia that one's offspring will have, with the absence of the Y chromosome creating a child with a vagina, and the Y chromosome creating a penis and testicles, which secrete prenatal testosterone, the cause for brain differences and behavioral differences. Males, who secrete prenatal testosterone are associated with higher levels of strength, and it is why men tend to be higher in strength. This is an incredibly simple and concise argument, as this is a scientific fact that was previously taught in elementary schools. The Y chromosome also produces a penis, which is a male sex organ, whilst the two X chromosomes produce a vaginal canal, the female sex organ. This is how gender is decided, as it is a simple biological classification

3. The idea of gender is a simple biological classification

The entire purpose of gender is to differentiate the two sexes, as all living beings must be classified, in order to achieve organization and order, for the absence of classification and differentiation leads to chaos. For we must establish the differences between P and Q, or the idea of P and Q do not exist at all, and all are subject to a relativistic worldview. This is precisely the same reason for the naming of species and other biological classifications. The classification of the two genders is not a personal matter, and should not be seen as such. It is the same as addressing a lion as a lion and a fish as a fish, simple biological facts that cannot currently be scientifically disputed.

Moving on to my social contention:

1. Truth is not relative

Now one may argue that truth is not an objective concept, but a relativistic one in which whatever one wishes to be true is true, to quote Protagoras "Man is the measure of all things". However, this concept of truth relativism is so incredibly ridiculous and untenable that it is self-refuting. If one believes that man is the measure of all things and that is true, and one believes that man is not the measure of all things and that is true, then what is true? How can two opposing viewpoints be true in the same world? If presented with two opposing viewpoints, either one is false or both are false, both cannot be true. Truth and fact are objective, and cannot be changed at will. One's biological sex cannot be changed at will.

These then shall be my introductory arguments, and I now invite my opponents to present their own cases in support of modern gender theory.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    JuicyMelonTech
    Sex is a biological classification. Gender is not so easily defined. Their are different definitions for gender. I proffer to think of gender as the social aspect often associated with on of the sexes. It is important to note languages are fluid. The meaning of gender continues to evolve. Doctors and biologist may care manly about ones sex but gender is how one wishes to associate themselves with how society views the sexes. As long as society associate some things with one of the sexes their will be people who feel like they are being associated with the wrong group and feel the need to change their gender. 
    whiteflame
  • whiteflamewhiteflame 689 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    @JuicyMelonTech

I'll just focus on direct responses to each of your four points.

1) You're rather inconsistent on this argument, and it has a lot of problems to begin with, so that doesn't help. You start off this argument by saying that it is a clear and unambiguous fact that there are differences between the brains of males and females, basing this entire point on the idea that all brains reflect the sex of the individual, yet you end off by acknowledging that there are studies showing that there are incidences of individuals having brains that functionally resemble those most commonly associated with the opposite sex. You're immediately dismissive of this, claiming it to be a small fraction of the transgender population, but a) you don't demonstrate that that's the case, b) even if it is the case, it invalidates your argument that there is no scientific support for transgenderism, and c) it calls your whole argument into question, since this only takes into account brains with all of the common traits of one sex inside the head of someone of the other sex. That last one is particularly damning because you're simply grouping a set of traits, stating that these traits all belong to individuals of either sex, and leaving out literally everyone who doesn't conform to that view. Forgetting the fact that systemizing and empathizing are not, in fact, opposite ways of thinking, there are a bevy of examples of women who clearly engage in the former and men who clearly engage in the latter.

And all of these problems undercut this whole argument. You provide a single piece of scientific evidence to support a claim that all of the evidence favors your argument, which is cherry-picking and overgeneralization. You're invalidating the identity of individuals based on gender using sex as deterministic, yet you haven't supported that argument in the slightest, even with your efforts to characterize how brains work. Even if I accept the entirety of your argument as valid, it does not invalidate transgenderism. Transgenderism is inherently a personal identity, which goes beyond a simple concept of brain chemistry or biology. How someone perceives themselves and wishes to be perceived may have little to do with those traits. An empathizing, sexually female person may still find it hard to associate themselves with the female gender, and may wish to be perceived as something else, whether that is male or otherwise. The capacity to think a certain way does not in any way affect the perception of oneself.

2) It seems like all of your arguments are derived from this sample place: biologically, they are either male or female, ergo they are locked into that state of being and must be gendered as such. You're missing the necessary internal link stating why sex and gender must always be exactly the same. Again, even if I buy that all XX individuals are sexually female and all XY individuals are sexually male (it's not the simple, especially as chromosomes aren't always complete and may not be expressed to the same degree), why does that affect how someone perceives themselves or wishes to be perceived? And I guess we're also ignoring the possibility of nondisjunctions where an individual can end up with three sex chromosomes (XXY or XYY), the issue of hermaphrodites, ambigous genitalia, and differential production of various hormones. Where, exactly, do these people belong in your argument? And, if they do belong to one sex/gender or the other (this is not me acknowledging that the two are interchangeable terms, nor am I treating either sex or gender as binary), who gets to decide that? Your argument is awfully presumptive. It seems like you're using basic biology as a cudgel to affect social change and ignoring a lot of the caveats of that biology in the process.

3) This, I guess, is your first and only attempt at providing some meaningful distinction between gender and sex, though I really don't get it. You argue that gender underpins sex, that it must be clearly known in order to classify individuals as male or female. So many things wrong with this. First, I don't know why someone cannot be classified based on sex simply because they have a different view of their gender. A man who views himself in a feminine light can still be classified as a man sexually, so long as they don't go through any kind of surgery. Physical characteristics define sex, not gender. Second, the idea that we must classify human beings as being part of one of two camps is ridiculous. There is no reason why a binary is absolutely necessary, and "achiev[ing] organization and order" is not made any simpler by telling people they are assigned a gender at birth. There's a reason that gender dysphoria exists, and ignoring that creates a set of circumstances that lead people to have it to hurt themselves and others. Is that organized? Is that order? What's the chaos in allowing people to select their own genders and explain them to others? Isn't that classification as well? Differences can be established without a false dichotomy and, if anything, expanding the number of choices inherently improves our capacity to classify people that do not fall into the two most "obvious" choices. Third, you really need to stop trying to employ basic biology when you don't seem to get how that biology actually works. Naming of species and biological classifications of those species doesn't require much. We can call a human being Homo sapiens and still acknowledge that there are many important subdivisions within that species, particularly with regards to personality, behavior, sexual attraction and identity. Scientists who classify animals don't say "well, these animals are presenting with a trait that doesn't match our expectations, so we're going to classify them how we see fit despite evidence that those traits don't fall into those classifications." If a scientist discovers something that does not match the literature, they challenge the literature. If they do that with any other animal, why should humans be treated differently?

4) This makes as little sense as any of your contentions. No one is arguing that truth is not objective, and that is an insulting way to characterize the argument from those who are transgender and those who support them. The argument is that the truth itself is either unknown (i.e. we do not fully understand the issue of gender and therefore we cannot adequately define every facet of it), or that the truth is known and that it moves beyond a false dichotomy of male vs. female. This argument seems entirely dependent on the truth of the above 3 contentions, though I don't believe you've proven any of them to be true and, even if you had, none of them adequately link to the issue at hand, which is how gender is ascribed based on biological factors. Beyond that, if your argument is that facts cannot be changed, then why are you arguing the fact that people see themselves and wish to be seen as a different gender? That is also factual, yet you state that their mindset is factually wrong, which means you're invalidating their view and dismissing the fact they've presented. You're also dismissing the existence of any gender that is not male or female, dismissing any difference between gender and sex, and dismissing every piece of scientific information and empirical examples that contradict your argument. If you claim to uphold truth and objectivism, explain to me how you manage such a feat while dismissing these facts.

BaconToesMajoMILSdlGMGV
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
  • JuicyMelonTechJuicyMelonTech 98 Pts   -  
    Nope said:
    JuicyMelonTech
    Sex is a biological classification. Gender is not so easily defined. Their are different definitions for gender. I proffer to think of gender as the social aspect often associated with on of the sexes. It is important to note languages are fluid. The meaning of gender continues to evolve. Doctors and biologist may care manly about ones sex but gender is how one wishes to associate themselves with how society views the sexes. As long as society associate some things with one of the sexes their will be people who feel like they are being associated with the wrong group and feel the need to change their gender. 
    Gender and sex have been interchangeable terms for all of human history, why are they suddenly disconnected? If a member of a certain gender wishes to act like the other sex, this does not change their gender. A man who acts like a woman is simply a feminine man, not a woman. Sex and gender are not disconnected, they are one and the same. If a man chooses to act in a feminine way, so be it? Why must he be addressed as a woman when he so clearly is not in his biological person?
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    Nope said:
    JuicyMelonTech
    Gender and sex have been interchangeable terms for all of human history, why are they suddenly disconnected? If a member of a certain gender wishes to act like the other sex, this does not change their gender. A man who acts like a woman is simply a feminine man, not a woman. Sex and gender are not disconnected, they are one and the same. If a man chooses to act in a feminine way, so be it? Why must he be addressed as a woman when he so clearly is not in his biological person?
    Semantic argument based on a false premise. Languages evolves and changes, that's what it does, and gender itself only came to exist as the difference between male and female in the 15th century ad  https://www.etymonline.com/word/gender

Also we are not robots with electron microscopes for eyes. The prime determiner for whether we consider if someone is male or female is how they look, how they dress, etc. Have you ever, even once in your life, analysed someone's chromosomes before deciding on their gender? If not, why would you argue this is the criteria you go by?
    whiteflameBaconToes
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    Ampersand said:
    Nope said:
    JuicyMelonTech
    Semantic argument based on a false premise. Languages evolves and changes, that's what it does, and gender itself only came to exist as the difference between male and female in the 15th century ad  https://www.etymonline.com/word/gender

Also we are not robots with electron microscopes for eyes. The prime determiner for whether we consider if someone is male or female is how they look, how they dress, etc. Have you ever, even once in your life, analysed someone's chromosomes before deciding on their gender? If not, why would you argue this is the criteria you go by?
    As @Ampersand mentioned, language evolves and changes over time. The word gender is obviously one of the words that has evolved (as showed on the link provided by Ampersand). Nowadays gender has the following definition: "Gender (n): the condition of being male, female, or neuter. In a human context, the distinction between gender and SEX reflects the usage of these terms: Sex usually refers to the biological aspects of maleness or femaleness, whereas gender implies the psychological, behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of being male or female (i.e., masculinity or femininity.)"
     https://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/sexuality-definitions.pdf
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    Ampersand said:
    Nope said:
    JuicyMelonTech

As @Ampersand mentioned, language evolves and changes over time. The word gender is obviously one of the words that has evolved (as showed on the link provided by Ampersand). Nowadays gender has the following definition: "Gender (n): the condition of being male, female, or neuter. In a human context, the distinction between gender and SEX reflects the usage of these terms: Sex usually refers to the biological aspects of maleness or femaleness, whereas gender implies the psychological, behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of being male or female (i.e., masculinity or femininity.)"
    whiteflame
  • JuicyMelonTechJuicyMelonTech 98 Pts   -  
    Ampersand said:
    Nope said:
    JuicyMelonTech

As @Ampersand mentioned, language evolves and changes over time. The word gender is obviously one of the words that has evolved (as showed on the link provided by Ampersand). Nowadays gender has the following definition: "Gender (n): the condition of being male, female, or neuter. In a human context, the distinction between gender and SEX reflects the usage of these terms: Sex usually refers to the biological aspects of maleness or femaleness, whereas gender implies the psychological, behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of being male or female (i.e., masculinity or femininity.)"
    Wait, just to clarify the debate going forward, you agree that biological sex cannot be changed, but believe that gender is an entirely different term that is disconnected from sex?

• MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    No. I believe that biological sex cannot be changed but that gender is the psychological, behavioral, social and cultural aspects of being male or female (femininity or masculinity.)