frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is political racism more dangerous than regular racism.

Debate Information

Voting  for a candidate who vows to provide prosperity and security for "your people," while decrying "others," makes you a political racist, even though you might have a black or brown friend.
Regular racists, while despicable, at least are not hiding behind their representatives.   
joecavalry

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    All racists are not good. I don’t believe that certain racists are worse than others, unless they protest, etc.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ih8shartsih8sharts 59 Pts   -  
    All racists are not good. I don’t believe that certain racists are worse than others, unless they protest, etc.
    I have to disagree. Some racists refuse to date other races while others actively try to kill other races. There are different levels of intensity.
    However, my point was the difference between actual racists and people who support and vote for politicians who promote and protect systemic racism. You could apply the same question to misogynists, xenophobes, homophobes etc.
    It relates to the amount of damage a single bad actor can do, compared to the damage a politician can do.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    What is really pathetic are the race-baiters who try to insert race into everything.
  • WokeWhaleWokeWhale 41 Pts   -  
    No, I personally believe that in this context regular racism is worse. By political I assume you mean voting and candidates and elections. Correct me if I'm wrong for the sake of a debate where both sides are on the same page. Individuals are not bound by the political boundaries and "chains" that require them to keep some level of discipline. Politicians have the potential to receive backlash for their actions and words, but normal people can perform their actions with little to no repercussions. That is essentially why I think politics actually somewhat limits the racism that has the potential to be present within a given society. 
  • ih8shartsih8sharts 59 Pts   -  
    WokeWhale said:
    No, I personally believe that in this context regular racism is worse. By political I assume you mean voting and candidates and elections. Correct me if I'm wrong for the sake of a debate where both sides are on the same page. Individuals are not bound by the political boundaries and "chains" that require them to keep some level of discipline. Politicians have the potential to receive backlash for their actions and words, but normal people can perform their actions with little to no repercussions. That is essentially why I think politics actually somewhat limits the racism that has the potential to be present within a given society. 
    You are certainly correct that private individuals have a lot more leeway to harbor and express extreme racism, whereas politicians have to be more moderate in their stances. 
    My point is, that the people who don't see themselves as racist, yet vote for people who promote systemic racism are a lot more dangerous, because many are not even aware that they promote systemic racism, or excuse that they do by saying "I don't agree with everything that he/she does."
    A single racist neighbor is an annoyance, but a Klan who writes the neighborhood laws is oppressive.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    ih8sharts said:

A single racist neighbor is an annoyance, but a Klan who writes the neighborhood laws is oppressive.
    Is there any example of the Klan writing laws in recent history?
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Decent point.

Today, the estimates of population for white supremacy is abysmal.  Granted, any amount of supremacy of any race/color is despicable but there's something to be said about the over representation of groups of people in our Country.  With the way it's discussed in general in our media you'd think that White Supremacists were this large population of people out there marching in mass numbers...they're tiny.  Compared to other Racially exclusive organizations like the Bloods who have between 7,000 and 15,000 members and that's just for the Eastern USA region...White Supremacists are a speck on the map.

Then there's the comparison of Crime related activity...again one must look at this relatively in order to understand the severity (Or lack thereof) of an organizations threat.  White Supremacy groups were listed as the highest ":Extremist" murderers in 2017 according to NBC.  This is somewhat disturbing, as you can see below from the National Gang Center, White gang members represent the 2nd lowest murder rate (Full context provided in link) just above "All other".  Somehow Bloods, Crypts, MS-13, 18th Street Gang, Barrio Azteca, Latin Kings, Mexican Mafia aren't considered extremist groups although they represent the blue and red lines below.

Raceethnicity of Gang Members 19962011 line chartThis chart doesn't accurately display the context of what it's designed to measure but the link above will give the context.  It's designed to represent the percentage of annual murders committed by Gang Members, by racial demographic.

White Supremacy Groups can be found on the FBI's National Gang Threat Assessment if you look really...really hard, they're on the alphabetical list but aren't given any details as they don't represent what the FBI considers to be a significant threat.  White Supremacists (Not just the ones in a gang) all-together killed 18 people in 2017.  

I agree that the race-baiting is a tired method of extending the issue.  The United States is the absolute least racist Country in the entire World...there's nowhere else in the whole wide World where this many different races of people can live and thrive together at the level of tolerance and acceptance that we all enjoy.  

By the way...does anyone here actually know someone who is or at least professes to be a White Supremacist?  Making a poll.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Personally, I think that political racism is more malicious, while regular racism is more poisonous. Political racism leads to the legal action against certain races, which objectively makes their life more difficult. However, regular everyday racism from strangers leads to the emotional feeling of not belonging to the society, of being ostracized, of not being treated as an equal - and such psychological issues can break the individual far more than even the most racist law will.

I can use a different example to illustrate the point. I have several transsexual friends, who belong to a very-very discriminated minority, far more discriminated than any race on Earth can reasonably claim. In the countries they live, legally not only can they not, for example, adopt a child, or sometimes marry - but often even their gender is not officially recognized. Yet this is not the main point of their complaints; the main point is that it is extremely difficult for them to have a civil interaction with anyone, because most people resent them and think them mentally ill weirdos. It is easy to imagine how this attitude can gnaw at the person, suppressing their individuality and freedom of self-expression - while not being able to legally register your gender is, while annoying, after all simply comes down to having one wrong noun in a few official documents.
    ih8sharts