frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Will Trump Shut Down Ths Government Over Border Wall Funding?

Debate Information

Do you believe that Trump will shut down the government over border wall funding?

passedbill
  1. Live Poll

?

9 votes
    1. Yes
      55.56%
    2. No
      44.44%
DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    Trump is a populist, and his campaign promises really served one purpose: to win the election. Building the wall is not very important to him and his supporters (if he builds the wall, they will be happy; if he does not, they will accept any excuse he comes up with, such as "the Congress blocks me from doing anything"), so shutting down the entire government seems very counter-productive. Shutting down the government will impact his ratings much more significantly than simply shifting the blame to someone and forgetting about the wall.

In addition, he does not have the legal power to shut down the government. It is only possible if the idea gains support in the Congress and is moved forward for a vote - something very unlikely to happen, as it essentially would require the Congress members to willingly give up their powers.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I answered no due to the way the question was asked.  Trump won't shut down the government if the border wall is funded. If the Democrats withhold funding for the border wall, there is a very good chance Trump will shut down the government.  Trump has already stated as much.  The question is; if such a situation comes to pass, who is really responsible for shutting down the government?
    Applesauce
  • NKJVPrewratherNKJVPrewrather 55 Pts   -  
    He will, but I don't support that petulant child. He is hurting poor and disabled people like me if he does. I am 6 times disabled, and if I don't get my check, I can't afford to eat. I am unable to work full time, and can't afford healthcare. I have life threatening medical conditions, and have the right to LIVE.
    refugee
  • refugeerefugee 87 Pts   -  
    Watching the media heads explode is going to be enjoyable.
    He will, but I don't support that petulant child. He is hurting poor and disabled people like me if he does. I am 6 times disabled, and if I don't get my check, I can't afford to eat. I am unable to work full time, and can't afford healthcare. I have life threatening medical conditions, and have the right to LIVE.

How would building the wall make any difference to you getting a disability check? 
    @MayCaesar

The House has repeatedly taken action to fund the government and avoid a shutdown. Unfortunately, the Senate and President Obama refuse to come to the table and negotiate. One of the many consequences of this unfortunate shutdown is that millions of Americans are not able to visit our treasured National Parks and landmarks. However, the Obama Administration is going out of its way to take unreasonable and unnecessary steps to block public access to parks and monuments that isn’t warranted by a government shutdown.

For example, open air parks and national monuments, places without doors or gates, where people are allowed to visit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, have been barricaded off. In addition, none of these D.C. memorials were closed during the last government shutdown in 1995-1996 under the Clinton Administration. The Obama Administration’s closing of these sites is not something they are required to do; it’s something they are CHOOSING to do. The Obama Administration wants the effects of this government shutdown to be as painful as possible.

The House has passed bipartisan legislation (H.J.Res. 70, Open Our National Parks and Museums Act) to fund National Parks and keep them open to the public. The Senate has yet to act.

It is possible that May has some memory loss.

Applesauce
    @MayCaesar

Got a simple solution to ease your mind. America should allow anyone into this country no questions asked and forget about the laws Congress has written. Let's just throw out all the laws then the Left should be happy.
    Applesauce
    @MayCaesar

But you were forthright in saying that the government can protect us from criminals but you have hit reverse and say that is counter productive.
    @MayCaesar
    Congress members willingly give up their powers on a government shutdown in regard to willingly giving up on the immigration laws they write. Is there some method to your Leftist madness. 
    @KJVPrewrather

The border wall has what to do with your 6 times disabled problem. Hearing of a 6 times disabled person is a new twist on things.
  • passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    Yes, the border wail is extremely important to Trump and could help him win in 2020. 
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    refugee said:
    @KJVPrewrather

The border wall has what to do with your 6 times disabled problem. Hearing of a 6 times disabled person is a new twist on things.
    it that like saying "you're once, twice, three times a lady"?  (age check)
    6 ways to Sunday, maybe.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • Mr_BombasticMr_Bombastic 144 Pts   -  
    A nation without secure borders cannot survive for long. 
    CheesusFarley
  • CheesusFarleyCheesusFarley 27 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta Just curious, like what?
    @CYDdharta Just curious, like what?

I'm not sure what you're asking.
  • CheesusFarleyCheesusFarley 27 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    @CYDdharta "He will, but I don't support that petulant child. He is hurting poor and disabled people like me if he does. I am 6 times disabled, and if I don't get my check, I can't afford to eat. I am unable to work full time, and can't afford healthcare. I have life threatening medical conditions, and have the right to LIVE" is what she said. She claimed she is poor and homeless, and that she is six times homeless. On top of this, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought these kinds of government shutdowns only last a few days, she doesn't have any extra money to spend on food?
  • CheesusFarleyCheesusFarley 27 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    @CYDdharta Ah, I clicked the wrong reply button. I meant to ask, "like what disabilities" to @NKJVPrewrather. Haha sorry about that!