frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Change my Mind: Whites are NOT RESPONSIBLE for mass school shootings

Debate Information

Yes, it is true that it is more likely that whites will commit a school shooting. But as of 2017, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, 76.6% of people in the United States are white. According to Statistia, school shooters who committed mass school shootings from 1982 to February 2018 have about a 57.7% chance of being white. That means whites commit school shootings 14.7% less than they should be. Now let’s say we need to blame it on a race, which I do not think is what we need to do, but I am kind of curious.

What race is doing this most often?

African Americans

African Americans, which make up 13.3% of the United States population, have committed shootings about 16.5% of the time. This means African Americans are commiting school shootings 3.2% more than they should be.

Latinos

Latinos only the shootings commit about 7.22% of the time, and 17.8% of people in the United States are Latino. Also, the percentage of people who are Latino may be even higher, since so many are illegal and don’t want to get caught. This means Latinos commit school shootings at most 10.58% less than we should be.

Asians

As well commit 7.22% of school shootings. 5.7% of people in the United States are Asian. This means asians commit school shootings 1.52% more than they should be.

So if we have to blame a race, the races we should blame if we want to be total jerks from least to greatest is:

Whites, Latinos, Asians, and African Americans! But should we blame this on African Americans and Asians? No.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US#viewtop

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/

About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• Agility_DudeAgility_Dude 62 Pts   -  
    @someone234 school shootings are caused by people with psychiatric conditions, rather than because of a worse upbringing. For example, the shooter at the stoneman douglas high school shooting had been reported over 20 times by people who were concerned that he might do something violent, and he talked online about shooting up the school a few days before it happened.

Plus suicide rates go up for richer people, suggesting that white people would actually be more likely to commit shootings because they would be less happy. When we look across the crime rates, we consistently see that black people commit statistically more violent crime than white people. Maybe its a more aggressive nature?

@CheesusFarley now this doesn't mean that we should blame an entire race for the crimes of a small part of it, we should judge people as individuals rather than assume that everyone who is black is going to be more aggressive than everyone who is white. That would be racism and play into the leftist identity politics that has driven western society down a cliff.
    CheesusFarleyZombieguy1987

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Nathaniel_B
    Your argument assumes that the percentage of maniacs per race is supposed to be so even that in the biggest it should be exactly that much of them. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that perfectly when variation happens.
    CheesusFarley
  • CheesusFarleyCheesusFarley 27 Pts   -  
    @someone234 how am I floored by the link?
    @CheesusFarley White people by and large are generally RICHER in percentage of their amount in USA than the races that are not getting access to good upbringing, psychiatric care and basically are born to be either a gangster, a failure or a lucky enough high IQ genius to make do with bad education and get good grades anyway.

Sure, a few succeed differently by being businessmen, rappers and what-not but if you honestly think Black people and Latinos are 'crazier' you're just brainwashed by pro-white media.
    Nathaniel_B
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    Although not "responsible" for school shootings, they are the most known race to do school shootings, its common that most school shooters are white.
    CheesusFarleyGeorge_Horse
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
    @Nathaniel_B 'responsible' is more important than 'doing.' Whites are at a disadvantage by that argument even though they shouldn't. There are more whites than any other race in the U.S., so naturally, there will be more mass school shootings done by whites.
    Nathaniel_B
    @someone234 school shootings are caused by people with psychiatric conditions, rather than because of a worse upbringing. For example, the shooter at the stoneman douglas high school shooting had been reported over 20 times by people who were concerned that he might do something violent, and he talked online about shooting up the school a few days before it happened.

Plus suicide rates go up for richer people, suggesting that white people would actually be more likely to commit shootings because they would be less happy. When we look across the crime rates, we consistently see that black people commit statistically more violent crime than white people. Maybe its a more aggressive nature?

Do you realise that there's such a thing as an upbringing where one couldn't afford a psychiatrist and attended a school where bullying was brutal and unmonitored on the regular?
    @Agility_Dude exactly.
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    Darn, I accidentally made two comments instead of one.
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
    @someone234

Yes, there are people who experience lives like that but that does not necessarily cause violent tendencies. What about people like Rosa Parks and Malala Yousafzai who stood up for themselves in societies where they were abused? There are things that need to happen in order for someone to go shoot up a school. Either an extreme amount of anger or a numbing to violence, usually with an existing condition. As far as I know, all of the school shooters had some existing condition that caused them to become violent. Even people who are subject to violent video games can do this regardless of their well being. Years ago, I was having a water gun fight with a neibor who plays games such as GTA, only to get a tennis ball chucked at my face. He didn't even care and it's because of the numbing of violence that violent thoughts or in this case, realistic violent video games cause.

Yes, there may be some other factors as well such as bullying which can encourage people with these existing conditions to cause the shootings, such as in the example I gave the highschoolers who advocated after for gun control admitted to bullying the shooter, but not physical. But it was the existing condition that would have caused him to do the shooting in the first place.
    @someone234

Yes, there are people who experience lives like that but that does not necessarily cause violent tendencies. What about people like Rosa Parks and Malala Yousafzai who stood up for themselves in societies where they were abused? There are things that need to happen in order for someone to go shoot up a school. Either an extreme amount of anger or a numbing to violence, usually with an existing condition. As far as I know, all of the school shooters had some existing condition that caused them to become violent. Even people who are subject to violent video games can do this regardless of their well being. Years ago, I was having a water gun fight with a neibor who plays games such as GTA, only to get a tennis ball chucked at my face. He didn't even care and it's because of the numbing of violence that violent thoughts or in this case, realistic violent video games cause.

Yes, there may be some other factors as well such as bullying which can encourage people with these existing conditions to cause the shootings, such as in the example I gave the highschoolers who advocated after for gun control admitted to bullying the shooter, but not physical. But it was the existing condition that would have caused him to do the shooting in the first place.
    What you are conceding is that the tendency to become a mass shooter is not racial (at all) but based on means available and upbringing up to the point of pulling that trigger. The development of the person is nearly zero percent based on their race and based far more on their economic class as well as cultural harshness from parent to child as well as peers to one another. This was all I was trying to prove. The reason less whites out of the white population are mass shooters is that less whites, out of the white population, are poor or in rough schools and neighbourhoods.
    Applesauce
    @Someone234 That's fair
    someone234
    @someone234 in that case, I agree with you. But my point was that people are wrong when they say whites are responsible for school shootings. Drives me nuts, and I'm not even white.
    Agility_DudeApplesauce
    @someone234 in that case, I agree with you. But my point was that people are wrong when they say whites are responsible for school shootings. Drives me nuts, and I'm not even white.
    They are for some.
    CheesusFarleyApplesauce
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    individuals are arrested and commit crimes not "whites"  perhaps they meant wights?  There's probably a word for condemning or holding an entire people responsible for the actions of individuals who happen to have similar skin color.  Think this past weekend was a record breaking (or close to it) weekend in Chicago, and not for anything good.  Do we blame the entire group who happens to look like them or the horrible situation and individuals that were responsible?  Seems like a no brainier to me, though as this issue keeps popping up, even in the media it really makes me wonder if people prefer to be divisive rather than holding individuals accountable for their actions.
    someone234
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6042 Pts   -  
    I fail to see what race can possibly have to do with this. For example, in Norway the only mass shooting in history was performed by Breivik, a guy as white as a snowman - but he acted on his own, why should other members of the same race share responsibility for what happened? 

People perform mass shootings when they are incredibly frustrated with something and see no better way to make a point. Race can be a factor here in that racial tensions could frustrate people of specific races more than others, but ultimately each shooter acts on their own and for their own reasons.
    ApplesauceCheesusFarley