frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Automatic Transmission vs Manual Transmission

Debate Information

Many times I have seen many boast about the manual transmission, and how people who don't drive it are "losers". I always liked the automatic transmission, never seen the joy or pleasure in shifting gears. I liked to put the car in drive, and simply cruise along the road. I like my BMW, its a fine car, so what do you prefer? The automatic or the manual?

Also don't be rude.  
George_Horse
“Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
Bob Barr

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    If you don't enjoy the 'focusing' when driving and that part is the chore to you, automatic is better.

If you enjoy immersing yourself into the tiny details and in fact are more likely to focus less if the driving process is too easy to stimulate your brain, manual is better.
    AlofRI
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    From my understanding, from the practical standpoint, manual transmission is superior to a good automatic transmission system only on extremely poor and hilly roads. In other words, when you do extreme off-roading, and you need all control you can squeeze out of the car. In all other situations, automatic transmission will do just as good, if not better, job, with much less effort on your part.

For regular transportation cars which you aren't going to take on a track or off the road, manual transmission makes little sense, unless it is something that gives you more enjoyment out of driving. For me, the fewer unneeded controls, the better, so I go with automatic.
    Nathaniel_BPlaffelvohfen
  • kevin_burkekevin_burke 47 Pts   -  
    @MayCeaser
    If you have to cars that are exactly the same other than the fact that one has manual and one doesn't. If you race them on a straight level and dry path. With experienced drivers in both, the manual will win.
    AlofRIGeorge_Horse
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    A long time ago, manual trannys were actually faster than automatics. Now, they are the same. It doesn’t really matter what you have, its just more fun to boast about having a manual
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
    They can be close but the manuals are still faster. 
    George_Horse
    look it up
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    There is no fun in driving an automatic. Even with a manual shift most don't "use" it. STILL, no fun.

I was in Spain for most of my last jobs before retirement (Around 9/11/ 2001). Most rentals were manual shift. It was more fun to drive than I'd had for a while! I had two projects going at once and had to drive between Zaragoza and a small city in the mountains called Olot. I found a road through the mountains I loved, almost no traffic, hairpin curves, short straights, winding areas. I was pretty exhausted by the time I got to the end  (22Km, out of shape :-)! Later I found out that the road was a part of an international road race route. An automatic is nice 'n easy, but, no FUN!
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    If you have to cars that are exactly the same other than the fact that one has manual and one doesn't. If you race them on a straight level and dry path. With experienced drivers in both, the manual will win.
    This is false. Modern automatic transmissions shift FASTER than manually shifting a gear stick, you should know this. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    I too am a fan of automatics. They are pretty much better than in the older days. It depends on the car, if you get a car with a bad transmission, it will not last long. Automatics were proven to shift faster than manually shifting .[1] And they get better gas mileage! Though I own a sports car with a manual transmission, its a fun car, and I still would rather drive automatics. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @AlofRI

I have a blast every time I drive my lovely Ford Fusion Hybrid. Lack of a shift stick simply means that I can focus more on the process and less on the mechanics of the process. My car combines a near-luxury level of comfort with pretty sporty driving dynamics, and I can do corners like a boss and be fully in control.

The only problem is, off-roading is nearly non-existent. The two times that I attempted it, both times I got stuck and required someone's help to pull me out. But that goes for any sedan, automatic or not.
  • I think today's automatic transmissions are generally spectacular in terms of performance. I still enjoy shifting a manual transmission if I am driving as a pleasure activity but if forced to choose only one I would opt for a new car with the intelligent and computerized automatics PROVIDED that the car does NOT use a KNOB.
    That's my pet peeve. I absolutely HATE that some mfrs are substituting the shift lever with a knob. 
    My car is NOT a WASHING MACHINE, thank you very much.

"The Left ones think I'm Right, the Right ones think I'm wrong."
    ---Leon Russell, "Magic Mirror"

• I think today's automatic transmissions are generally spectacular in terms of performance. I still enjoy shifting a manual transmission if I am driving as a pleasure activity but if forced to choose only one I would opt for a new car with the intelligent and computerized automatics PROVIDED that the car does NOT use a KNOB.
    That's my pet peeve. I absolutely HATE that some mfrs are substituting the shift lever with a knob. 
    My car is NOT a WASHING MACHINE, thank you very much.

AlofRI

• MayCaesar said:
    @AlofRI

The only problem is, off-roading is nearly non-existent. The two times that I attempted it, both times I got stuck and required someone's help to pull me out. But that goes for any sedan, automatic or not.
    Yeah, off-road in a sporty sedan not a good choice...unless your "sedan" happens to be a 1962 Opel Kadett, because that car doesn't realize that it's just a car. It's only forty horsepower but it will go almost anywhere as long as you don't ask it to exceed 75 mph.

• @MayCeaser
    Actually that is really not true anymore, not with the latest and greatest automatic transmissions that are being featured in the newest cars.

Here's two Dodge Hellcats, one with an automatic and one with a stick, watch what happens!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7CK_jxV_U

• Many times I have seen many boast about the manual transmission, and how people who don't drive it are "losers". I always liked the automatic transmission, never seen the joy or pleasure in shifting gears. I liked to put the car in drive, and simply cruise along the road. I like my BMW, its a fine car, so what do you prefer? The automatic or the manual?

Also don't be rude.
    THEY ARE BOTH GOOD BUT NOT EVERYONE IS OPEN TO LEARNING