frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is the Dress Code Biased?

Debate Information

I think that the dress code is biased. Girls are not allowed to wear a lot of stuff because it "distracts" boys. Boys have a wide spectrum of what they can wear and girls can barely wear anything because the dress code is unfair. What do you guys think?
  1. Live Poll

Is the Dress Code Unfair

5 votes
    1. Yes
      60.00%
    2. No
      40.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    Yes they are. At 2 of my old schools which were strict on their dress codes, girls were not allowed to wear much because it would "distract" the boys, which I'd call bullcrap! Even the immature 8th grader that I had to suffer through never looked at a girl because of their clothes. This is just sexism that is ignored at school
    averyapro
  • Agility_DudeAgility_Dude 62 Pts   -  
    I don't see the issue with the dress code. Could you give me an example of some form of clothing that is unfairly banned? I think that in general the same standard is applied to men as well as women. As for the argument that it distracts the boys, I think that it is a rational argument. Many boys start to hit puberty once they hit middle school, and this causes them to have a higher sex drive. This happens to girls too, but not to the same extent as far as I know. This will put a detriment onto an individual's learning. Think about it: if someone's talking while everyone else is working, should they be allowed to continue or not? Of course not because it's to the detriment of others! The same can be applied here to inappropriate clothing that men and especially women wear. I say especially women because I see more women wearing shorts that show off the bottom of your butt cheeks and your breasts. I believe in freedom of expression. But in a school environment behavior like this should not be tolerated.
    Applesauce
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    I think what you described comes not from the dress code being unfair in itself, but, rather, from how it fits in the society with all its prejudices. In most cultures, women are sexualized much-much more than men - and since most societies are also afraid of children having exposure to sexuality, this results in different strictness of dress codes for boys and girls.
    In a society where one's sexualization is not affected by their gender, the dress code would be fair.

That said, I find dress code to be unfair from a more global perspective: it is simply not right to tell people what to wear. At the very least, I do not think public institutions should be allowed to introduce dress code beyond what is already stated in the local law. With private institutions, I think they should have the "right" to introduce dress code, but I personally would strongly disapprove of such a choice.
    averyapro
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar
    generally, children don't have rights compared to adults.  Dress codes and the like vary by district.  So if the rules reflect the majority it's fine, provided the minority has a realist option to change schools.  Absent those things I have no problems if they all had to wear one of those silver jump suits you see in old sci-fi movies.  Everyone would be equal in dress code enforcement then.  The true irony are the kids who have been suspended or disciplined for wearing Trump shirts and hats.
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet,
    Axe,
    And saw
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals