The Zeitgeist Of Times And Morals - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate News And Just About Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com. The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The Zeitgeist Of Times And Morals
in Religion

By WowsilWowsil 134 Pts
Have you heard of the old circuses and traveling shows that were so common many years ago?
It would make one cringe now to think of all the bizarre acts they had back then. Like the freak shows where audiences would stare with delight at the bearded woman, the elephant man, and the original Siamese twins.

The zeitgeist of time moves our moral compasses along as our civilization continues to progress and such circus attractions would be considered as crude, immoral and downright wrong nowadays.

It"s a bit like religion really.
Many of the old cultural customs and morals that come from religious scriptures written thousands of years ago were acceptable in such uncivilized barbaric societies.

Yet there are some people nowadays who belong to religious organizations that preach the persecution of minority groups such as gays.

Not only does modern society treat all people as equals but most governments have made abhorrent practices such as vilification of minorities illegal.

Is it really worth it to be labeled as a lawbreaker and an anti-social bigot just for the sake of subscribing to a failed, archaic, draconian system of beliefs that has no place in modern society?
    No results for this poll

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• EvidenceEvidence 762 Pts
    edited September 5
    Wowsil said:
    Have you heard of the old circuses and traveling shows that were so common many years ago?
    It would make one cringe now to think of all the bizarre acts they had back then. Like the freak shows where audiences would stare with delight at the bearded woman, the elephant man, and the original Siamese twins.

The zeitgeist of time moves our moral compasses along as our civilization continues to progress and such circus attractions would be considered as crude, immoral and downright wrong nowadays.

It"s a bit like religion really.
    Many of the old cultural customs and morals that come from religious scriptures written thousands of years ago were acceptable in such uncivilized barbaric societies.

Yet there are some people nowadays who belong to religious organizations that preach the persecution of minority groups such as gays.

Not only does modern society treat all people as equals but most governments have made abhorrent practices such as vilification of minorities illegal.

Is it really worth it to be labeled as a lawbreaker and an anti-social bigot just for the sake of subscribing to a failed, archaic, draconian system of beliefs that has no place in modern society?
    @Wowsil - Have you heard of the old circuses and traveling shows that were so common many years ago?
    It would make one cringe now to think of all the bizarre acts they had back then

I agree!

Wowsil - Is it really worth it to be labeled as a lawbreaker and an anti-social bigot just for the sake of subscribing to a failed, archaic, draconian system of beliefs that has no place in modern society?

So if I refer to my children by their gender, I am an anti-social bigot? Is this what you call a "modern society", where my children are now labeled "genderless animals of the ape family", with their distant cousins as rats living on a globe in a science fiction universe!?

Mark 13:13 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
    Erfisflat
  • @Evidence what makes someone who's identifies with a different gender worse than someone who swears? God says all sins are equal and for those without sin to cast the first stone.
  • ("So if I refer to my children by their gender, I am an anti-social bigot? Is this what you call a "modern society", where my children are now labeled "genderless animals of the ape family", with their distant cousins as rats living on a globe in a science fiction universe!?")

I think you are drawing a very long bow there to come up with that sort of observation yet I do understand the mindset of guilt-ridden theism and making completely outlandish, kneejerk reactions.

I have properly explained through reasoned argument before that if one belongs to and identifies with a particular organisation, one is "guilty by association" of endorsing the doctrines and practices of that organisation.

For example, if you belong to the KKK, it is reasonable that you are identified with its doctrines and practices. It just would not be credible for you to say, "I belong to the KKK for the companionship and the cheap beer but I don't go along with all the lynchings and racist attacks."
    .....Yeah, sure. Even if you say that you don't go along with the ugly racism, it is still reasonable for others to label you as an extreme racist and if you don't like it....leave.

Similarly with Christianity. Christian Churches are notorious for their homophobic views and practices. If you belong to such an organisation it is reasonable for you to be labeled as being homophobic. Saying that you aren't homophobic is a cop-out and being deceptive. If you don't identify with such fundamental and blatant hatred towards minority groups, you should not be part of such an organisation.
    @Evidence
  • Evidence what makes someone who's identifies with a different gender worse than someone who swears? God says all sins are equal and for those without sin to cast the first stone.
    @WordsMatter ;
    In the OT King David committed some of the worst crimes, and he did it to one of his most loyal Captains of his armies; Adultery and premeditated murder, yet the Bible never refers to him as a backstabbing murderer and an adulterer. Why?
    Because he never condoned those sins.
    Homosexuality (LGBT) is a sin that brings a lot of other sins with it. Just like heavy-drug addiction, drunkenness, adultery, robbing people etc. does!

Yes my friend; Words do Matter, truth matters, repentance matters, .. but most of all, God matters!
  • And it is your sort of bigotry, ugly vilification, unsupported lies and deception that responsible governments in free democratic, advanced societies legislate against.

it is telling morons like you that we (society) will tolerate no more of your disgusting, abhorrent, ignorant, arrogant and offensive views.
    And you have the nerve to hide behind a religious shield to justify your hatred towards others.
    @Evidence
  • Wowsil said:
    ("So if I refer to my children by their gender, I am an anti-social bigot? Is this what you call a "modern society", where my children are now labeled "genderless animals of the ape family", with their distant cousins as rats living on a globe in a science fiction universe!?")

I think you are drawing a very long bow there to come up with that sort of observation yet I do understand the mindset of guilt-ridden theism and making completely outlandish, kneejerk reactions.

I have properly explained through reasoned argument before that if one belongs to and identifies with a particular organisation, one is "guilty by association" of endorsing the doctrines and practices of that organisation.

For example, if you belong to the KKK, it is reasonable that you are identified with its doctrines and practices. It just would not be credible for you to say, "I belong to the KKK for the companionship and the cheap beer but I don't go along with all the lynchings and racist attacks."
    .....Yeah, sure. Even if you say that you don't go along with the ugly racism, it is still reasonable for others to label you as an extreme racist and if you don't like it....leave.

Similarly with Christianity. Christian Churches are notorious for their homophobic views and practices. If you belong to such an organisation it is reasonable for you to be labeled as being homophobic. Saying that you aren't homophobic is a cop-out and being deceptive. If you don't identify with such fundamental and blatant hatred towards minority groups, you should not be part of such an organisation.
    Evidence
    First of all @Wowsil I am NOT homophobic:

homophobic
    - adjective
    having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

because I am not prejudiced against homosexual people

prejudiced
    noun 
    1. preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.
    You see, I don't have any baseless preconceived opinions of homosexuals, it is what they do, and I know what they do (was an apartment manager in Downtown San Diego with a heavy population of homosexuals) especially with little boys, even their own child. I also KNOW History, that God destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because of their, .. not just homosexual acts, but their overall perversion like bestiality, also the lack of charity and hospitality towards others; ignoring the needs of the poor, etc. that came with it.

Wowsil - I have properly explained through reasoned argument before that if one belongs to and identifies with a particular organisation, one is "guilty by association" of endorsing the doctrines and practices of that organization.

And I have on numerous occasions both here, and that other debating forum explained to you regarding my association with the "theist" organization you assume me to, specifically Christianity, who are open LGBT rights advocates, including their long history of torture, thievery and bloodshed, homosexuality, .. including that they are the ones who created the Big Bang story, and now openly support Evolution. So if anyone identifies with this theist organization, it would be you, because I do NOT!

Again, I am not "prejudiced against homosexual people" or any particular 'people', I love everyone. What I am against is acts of immoral abominations and crimes against humanity, especially (like it is being done in the above video) to innocent children!

Don't you know that this so called "theistic" organization that you assume I belong to has tens of thousands of 'religious-denominations', .. which includes Islam, atheism, Satanic churches, and about 35,000 versions of "Christian" which, from the opinions that I see you write, shows you belonging to it.

• I don't know what theistic organisation you belong to....you haven't mentioned.
     Nevertheless, you are profoundly homophobic and bigoted....if your family and friends dare not tell you, I am.

"I don't hate them...I hate what they do" is the biggest contrived cop-out anyone can dream of and is always the excuse used by homophobic denialists.

And, by your logic, since homosexuals are the same as anyone else and do the same as anyone else, you must hate everything anyone does.

So, are you opposed to the immoral abominations and crimes against humanity, (especially children) who are psychologically abused with lies, deceit, doom, gloom, guilt, and fear by religious perpetrators?

The mythological story of Sodom and Gomorrah, by the way, is probably the most absurd, contrived, crude, primitive story ever made up. The video is amateurish and alludes to very vague connotations but asserts nothing nor proves anything whatsoever.
    @Evidence
  • @Evidence lucky for me I drink do drugs and am queer so I never have to go to an afterlife where you are :) have a good life!
  • ("lucky for me I drink do drugs and am queer so I never have to go to an afterlife where you are  have a good life!")

Good on you mate. You are the sort of stuff that can really take it to those God-fearing dweebs.

I will probably see you in Hell eventually. The beer may be warm and there may be not much more to eat than hotdogs and devilled wings but, what the heck....I reckon it will be more fun down there than heaven where those anal-retentive do-goody god-fearers will spend an eternity kissing their master's arse.
    WordsMatter@  
  • @Wowsil ;
    Wowsil said:
    I don't know what theistic organisation you belong to....you haven't mentioned.
     Nevertheless, you are profoundly homophobic and bigoted....if your family and friends dare not tell you, I am.

"I don't hate them...I hate what they do" is the biggest contrived cop-out anyone can dream of and is always the excuse used by homophobic denialists.

And, by your logic, since homosexuals are the same as anyone else and do the same as anyone else, you must hate everything anyone does.

So, are you opposed to the immoral abominations and crimes against humanity, (especially children) who are psychologically abused with lies, deceit, doom, gloom, guilt, and fear by religious perpetrators?

The mythological story of Sodom and Gomorrah, by the way, is probably the most absurd, contrived, crude, primitive story ever made up. The video is amateurish and alludes to very vague connotations but asserts nothing nor proves anything whatsoever.
    @Evidence

I hate murder, robbery, torture, rape, animals cruelty, child abuse, lies and such, .. I guess I have this phobia against crime, and evil, .. which soon I'm sure, those of us who oppose crimes against humanity will have to answer to. In this New World Order, such hatred of evil deeds are no longer tolerated, right Willows?

Yes, I am very much opposed to the immoral abominations and crimes against humanity, (especially children) who are psychologically abused with MK-Ultra techniques starting with lies, deceit, doom, gloom, guilt, and fear by illuminati and/or Jesuit religious perpetrators, especially those cult parents who transgender their children before they can even walk, and sodomize them in their churches and temples.

"Mythological stories of Sodom and Gomorrah" .. coming from a Globetard who believes in space travel is hilarious.

Did you buy land on the moon yet like Stephen Hawking suggested,

.. or you think buying land on the heavenly star called Mars is a better long term investment?

• @Evidence lucky for me I drink do drugs and am queer so I never have to go to an afterlife where you are :) have a good life!

@WordsMatter ;
    The hereafter will take care of itself, our Lord Jesus Christ is working on that as we speak. My concern is for humanity in the here and now, .. so you think drinking, doing drugs  and being queer can benefit humanity?
    Well, @Wowsil agrees with you, .. but naaw, .. I don't know!? I've seen too many broken homes in Detroit, been acquainted with too many abandoned children who survive by creating their own version of "family" called; gangs, and watched them over the years getting shot, falling off the third story of buildings ending up in a wheel chair for life (high on drugs), .. and die off one by one.
  • I don't think anyone could argue that the world we have today is anywhere near perfect.
    In many cases, one problem is solved only to be replaced by another. We find this with the seemingly endless circle of substance abuse.....make something illegal and it goes underground causing an even bigger problem.

Despite new hurdles challenging us, I think that if you compare most of society today with that of generations ago, we are continuing to get better in terms of standard of living, health, and morals.

We still have a long way to go but, isn't that something we can all look forward to if not, for the prosperity of our future generations?

@Evidence
  • Wowsil said:
    I don't think anyone could argue that the world we have today is anywhere near perfect.
    In many cases, one problem is solved only to be replaced by another. We find this with the seemingly endless circle of substance abuse.....make something illegal and it goes underground causing an even bigger problem.

Despite new hurdles challenging us, I think that if you compare most of society today with that of generations ago, we are continuing to get better in terms of standard of living, health, and morals.

We still have a long way to go but, isn't that something we can all look forward to if not, for the prosperity of our future generations?

Evidence
    @Wowsil said:  I don't think anyone could argue that the world we have today is anywhere near perfect.

Yes, here I agree with you on 100%
    Like the prohibition, .. and today it's Marihuana, and now it's narcotics, specifically oxycodone/Percocet, the ones that really work on reducing the pain.

So What's with the ban on narcotics? My wife just recently ruptured her Achilles tendon, was taken to the hospital where she was misdiagnosed with a "tiny fracture" of her tibia, and given 12 count of 5-325 hydrocodone tabs, but Walgreens Pharmacy said her Cigna Insurance could only allow her to get 8 pills because of the big crack down on narcotics. Her pain level was above 10, and the soonest orthopedic she could see was 2 weeks away.

The ER nurse at the hospital said that the reason people can no longer get narcotics (or in very, very small doses) is because "there is a narcotic epidemic in the country", which was very obvious once she got scheduled for the emergency surgery. There were lines of people who, like my wife were waiting to get fixed (compound fractures, gang green leg amputations, appendix, kidney stones, stab wounds, gun shot wounds .. etc.) all wanting them narcotics. Here is what my wife's surgery looks like:
    Related image

So instead of going after the World Wide street-morphine/Heroin epidemic where our country had to take over another country like Afghanistan just to keep the world street heroine epidemic supplied, .. but hey, can't cut the supply to the multibillion dollar-a-day street drug business, so instead; let's cut the drugs to the people with serious injuries. I mean it's true, people used to get narcotics with little things like dropping an anvil and crushing their toenails, sheessh, tisk, tisk, .. what wimps we have become!? So, it looks like they will put a stop to this silly nonsense like; "people getting hurt just so they can get pain meds epidemic"!

Wowsil - Despite new hurdles challenging us, I think that if you compare most of society today with that of generations ago, we are continuing to get better in terms of standard of living, health, and morals.

Oh yes, no doubt about that! Only here is what you see:
    Image result for pics of dubai city

And just below that facade,  this is what you don't see, or what "They" don't want you to see:
    Related image

Wowsil - We still have a long way to go but, isn't that something we can all look forward to if not, for the prosperity of our future generations?

A long way to go? Oh no, .. I say we're almost there. You notice in the above pic, no one is obese, or limping, or complaining of pain!?  Everyone at the ideal weight, cholesterol level, no complaining, no talking, .. and after 80 years of hard work, we are almost there: "OBEY"

Related image

• Well, you certainly nailed the point home.
    I think that eventually, free, democratic society will show that we can improve and advance without the need for totalitarian leadership.
    @Evidence