frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Nike's Promotion of Colin Kaepernick's Kneeling as a campaign figure for "Just Do It" Was .

Debate Information

Why is it that Nike would even consider to promote Colin Kaepernick, a controversial celebrity at this time, to be featured on their latest advertisement of "Just Do It"? This despicable man, who kneels during the national anthem is worthy enough of being on their advertising? Absolute nonsense. I own some Nike footwear myself for my Thursday, Friday, and weekend jogs around my neighborhood, but as I would wish to throw them away in protest, I cannot. I could not throw them away because I feel that it would be a waste of my money, even though I would not want to wear their products while the promote such a abhorrent person. This baffles and upsets me, and it is now that I cannot get this off my mind. I believe that this was a move for Nike, and that they have only caused anger towards some of their customers, including myself. 
Nathaniel_B
  1. Live Poll

Do you agree?

7 votes
    1. Yes
      42.86%
    2. No
      42.86%
    3. kind of
      14.29%
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    I think it's a silly reason to boycott, the reasons have already been discussed in detail, but you should boycott whomever you like. It is your right. Maybe it will drive the price down on some of the best shoes that ever came from Chinese slave kids.
    Applesauce
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Nike is a private company, it has no obligation to uphold your moral standards. If you do not like their move and want to protest against it, then buy products from other companies and do not buy from Nike. Nike does not care what you do with the product once you own it, Nike only cares about the money you pay for its products. Once you have paid for something, throwing it away does not affect Nike in any way.

On a side note, if such a minor event baffles and upsets you, then you probably should perform some reassessment of your values. I personally did not even know about it until you told me, and now that you told me, it has not changed how I feel in the slightest. Maybe you are one of those people who like to be upset/offended by everything and just look for a reason to do so?
    ApplesauceGeorge_HorseNathaniel_B
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    Can't argue against an opinion. I personally support it, but it wouldn't be a good form of protest if it didn't upset anyone. So I'm fine with you not liking it. The fact that you are unwilling to throw away Nike products just because that would be a waste of money shows just how committed you are against this. All talk no action. A boycott isn't something easy, it's not flashy, it's not something most people even know you are doing. If you truly believe in or against something then a boycott should be no problem. Kap believed in something, whether it is right or wrong, and he sacraficed any chance at a job for it. You believe against something but can't throw out $100 of worn shoes. I don't like prison labor and have boycotted companies that have great products because they use prison labor. It's really not that hard once you start. Why should a company care that you are angry when you keep advertising them by wearing their shoes?

this guy may not even know how to pronounce villanueva but at least he takes action burning thousands of dollars.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Can't argue against an opinion. I personally support it, but it wouldn't be a good form of protest if it didn't upset anyone. So I'm fine with you not liking it. The fact that you are unwilling to throw away Nike products just because that would be a waste of money shows just how committed you are against this. All talk no action. A boycott isn't something easy, it's not flashy, it's not something most people even know you are doing. If you truly believe in or against something then a boycott should be no problem. Kap believed in something, whether it is right or wrong, and he sacraficed any chance at a job for it. You believe against something but can't throw out $100 of worn shoes. I don't like prison labor and have boycotted companies that have great products because they use prison labor. It's really not that hard once you start. Why should a company care that you are angry when you keep advertising them by wearing their shoes?

this guy may not even know how to pronounce villanueva but at least he takes action burning thousands of dollars.
    Lol, he says: " What I care about is this country's rights" (to be forced to worship a flag)
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

totally agree they have no obligation to uphold any moral standards and this has been true for a very long time, to be upset because they hired this has been seems like selective moral outrage.

Phil Knight, chief of Nike. Their conversations, in which Knight defends using child labor in the politically oppressive country of Indonesia, then rejects Moore's offer to build a factory in Flint ("Americans don't want to make shoes," Knight blithely explains),

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat yeah Steelers fans aren't the smartest people out there
    Erfisflat
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    How does kneeling during the national anthem make someone an abhorrent and despicable person? Why people even care, baffles me. I'm British, and yet I've mocked our national anthem before (it sucks). Does that make me despicable? An anthem is not something that has to be treated with utmost respect, same as a flag. I don't care if someone burns the Ameeican flag, or kneels during the national anthem. They can do that if they want to. Is it a good marketing move for Nike? Perhaps not, but I have nothing against Kaepernick himself, or Nike for advertising him.
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    On no, someone did a form of protest that was not only non-violent but also non-obstructive and it was to raise awareness of other people's suffering! How despicable!
    Polaris95
  • GooberryGooberry 608 Pts   -  
    Why is it that Nike would even consider to promote Colin Kaepernick, a controversial celebrity at this time, to be featured on their latest advertisement of "Just Do It"? This despicable man, who engages in non-violent protest to raise awareness of racial inequality and the brutality and the disproportionate killing of black people by the police is worthy enough of being on their advertising? Absolute nonsense. I own some Nike footwear myself for my Thursday, Friday, and weekend jogs around my neighborhood, but as I would wish to throw them away in protest, I cannot. I could not throw them away because I feel that it would be a waste of my money, even though I would not want to wear their products while the promote such a abhorrent person. This baffles and upsets me, and it is now that I cannot get this off my mind. I believe that this was a move for Nike, and that they have only caused anger towards some of their customers, including myself. 
    You made an error in your OP, I fixed it for you.
    George_HorseNathaniel_B
    Ampersand said:
    On no, someone did a form of protest that was not only non-violent but also non-obstructive and it was to raise awareness of other people's suffering! How despicable!
    You forgot to include the black part
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    Gooberry said:
    Why is it that Nike would even consider to promote Colin Kaepernick, a controversial celebrity at this time, to be featured on their latest advertisement of "Just Do It"? This despicable man, who engages in non-violent protest to raise awareness of racial inequality and the brutality and the disproportionate killing of black people by the police is worthy enough of being on their advertising? Absolute nonsense. I own some Nike footwear myself for my Thursday, Friday, and weekend jogs around my neighborhood, but as I would wish to throw them away in protest, I cannot. I could not throw them away because I feel that it would be a waste of my money, even though I would not want to wear their products while the promote such a abhorrent person. This baffles and upsets me, and it is now that I cannot get this off my mind. I believe that this was a move for Nike, and that they have only caused anger towards some of their customers, including myself. 

"This despicable man, who engages in non-violent protest to raise awareness of racial inequality and the brutality and the disproportionate killing of black people by the police is worthy enough of being on their advertising?"

Yes. Why does he not protest the high number of blacks being killed by their own kind? Why the police? The percent of police killing blacks is very low, practically rare that they happen. He's an , not because of his kneeling, but because of his lack of knowledge that blacks killing blacks are the highest percentage of black deaths in America. 
    Zombieguy1987Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
    Gooberry said:

"This despicable man, who engages in non-violent protest to raise awareness of racial inequality and the brutality and the disproportionate killing of black people by the police is worthy enough of being on their advertising?"

Yes. Why does he not protest the high number of blacks being killed by their own kind? Why the police? The percent of police killing blacks is very low, practically rare that they happen. He's an , not because of his kneeling, but because of his lack of knowledge that blacks killing blacks are the highest percentage of black deaths in America. 
    Yes why doesn’t he protest wars. And child slavery. And human trafficking. Why doesn’t he protest rape. Or the humanitarian Crisis in Syria? Or why doesn't he protest Hillarys emails? Or whatever other issue you, yourself would protest before police killing black people.

This argument is a red herring, it’s more of a deliberate attempt to simply dismiss the things he’s protesting - and note that while you intentionally downplay the issue by effectively saying that you are fine with the number of unarmed black people being sho by police - so he should be too.

People protest what moves them, and on the topics they feel they can make a difference in the world: and most importantly, the ongoing racial inequality - which given the causes, cycles of poverty and crime - is most assuredly protesting that very thing.

Nathaniel_B
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    @George_Horse why aren't you out there protesting that? Maybe blacks wouldn't be killing as many blacks if black Wall Street wasnt burned with zero repercussions, robbing black America of wealth which could have had a significant impact on this generation? Or how about all the blacks that were lynched and robbed from depriving future generations of the wealth their families earned? Also the free market sides with Nike and Kap https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nikes-online-sales-jumped-31-after-company-unveiled-kaepernick-campaign-2018-09-07

I can't give you an answer as well as MLK can so I implore you to read letter from a Birmingham jail and MLK will describe to you exactly why Kap should be doing what he is doing. https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html
    Nathaniel_B
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    @George_Horse Also, he could protest after the game. Why wouldn't he make a statement about this out in public or on the news? Most likely because he's too afraid of being called a "Uncle Tom" or a "traitor" even though he's not even black. I'm black, I don't support Trump, and I never will support cops, but for one thing, this guy is ridiculous. I'm watchin a football game, I ain't care about what you got to protest, do that nonsense somewhere else at some other time, this is mainly why I watch basketball, but good thing he's out of the games now. I'm still buyin Nike too, but for them to put his dumb self as a advert for their "Just Do It" is completely . I'm so sick and tired of all these BLM morons not protesting the real problem: The Black Community. Its not the cops killing us, its us killing us, how about Colin Kaepernick protest that and advocate unity among the folk of Chicago and Detroit? Don't let him get you mad too George, he gets me just as upset as you do! So I agree!
    George_Horse
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
    Gooberry said:
    Gooberry said:

Yes why doesn’t he protest wars. And child slavery. And human trafficking. Why doesn’t he protest rape. Or the humanitarian Crisis in Syria? Or why doesn't he protest Hillarys emails? Or whatever other issue you, yourself would protest before police killing black people.

This argument is a red herring, it’s more of a deliberate attempt to simply dismiss the things he’s protesting - and note that while you intentionally downplay the issue by effectively saying that you are fine with the number of unarmed black people being sho by police - so he should be too.

People protest what moves them, and on the topics they feel they can make a difference in the world: and most importantly, the ongoing racial inequality - which given the causes, cycles of poverty and crime - is most assuredly protesting that very thing.

He's kneeling because of police brutality, happening among blacks. He and along with other idiots should be protesting and targeting the real problems: The Black Community. I ain't see nobody protesting that nonsense you were talking about, we're talking about police brutality, and you here talking about some "protest wars, child slavery, and human trafficking"? What are you talking about?  :joy: These things are NOT affecting the Black community man, get your head out of the clouds and stay focused.
    George_Horse
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

Bob Barr
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    He has the right to free speech and redress of grievances.
    GooberryNathaniel_BGeorge_Horse
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    Gooberry said:

Pretty sure the leading cause of black deaths in America will be heart disease because of how fat y'all are.

Also a) there are laws against murder already b) he was protesting racial injustice as a whole c) masses of black people are effected by racial inequality in the justice system but not murdered and it is perfectly legal with the supreme court having ruled on numerous occasions that large amounts of racism in law enforcement is legal.
    GooberryNathaniel_B
    @Nathaniel_B are you serious? Do you not know how much money and time Kap had devoted to help black kids? Read MLK works and you will understand you are on the wrong side here, then again you should hate MLK since he was a socialist but you are too afraid of being called outoas an obvious racist to criticize him.
    George_Horse
    Gooberry said:
    Gooberry said:

He's kneeling because of police brutality, happening among blacks. He and along with other idiots should be protesting and targeting the real problems: The Black Community. I ain't see nobody protesting that nonsense you were talking about, we're talking about police brutality, and you here talking about some "protest wars, child slavery, and human trafficking"? What are you talking about?  :joy: These things are NOT affecting the Black community man, get your head out of the clouds and stay focused.
    Actually, police brutality is only part of what he is protesting: google it.

He is protesting, among other things, the systemic mistreatment of black people in America. Which includes the perpetuation of the cycle of poverty that leads to crime in black communities.

In no small part the systemic inequality emphasizes by your very post, where black people attempting to protest against injustice are faced with many, many white people like yourself, in government, the police force and elsewhere who do their best to discredit them, shout them down, denigrate them, or blame them for all of their problems.

If he was protesting, directly, black crime: and why the government
    Is bending over backwards to try and find solutions to the opioid crisis: which is a treated mainly as a white health problem while doing their best to criminalize a generation of black people who call into a trap of crime and poverty in much the same circumstances: I’m sure you and your conservatives frienss will do their best to discredit him about that too.

Nathaniel_BGeorge_Horse
    Gooberry said:
    Actually, police brutality is only part of what he is protesting: google it.

He is protesting, among other things, the systemic mistreatment of black people in America. Which includes the perpetuation of the cycle of poverty that leads to crime in black communities.

In no small part the systemic inequality emphasizes by your very post, where black people attempting to protest against injustice are faced with many, many white people like yourself, in government, the police force and elsewhere who do their best to discredit them, shout them down, denigrate them, or blame them for all of their problems.

If he was protesting, directly, black crime: and why the government
    Is bending over backwards to try and find solutions to the opioid crisis: which is a treated mainly as a white health problem while doing their best to criminalize a generation of black people who call into a trap of crime and poverty in much the same circumstances: I’m sure you and your conservatives frienss will do their best to discredit him about that too.

For the first line, what else is he protesting? Secondly, I'm not a white person, I made it clear from my previous post, so make sure you look over things before labeling me. 

"Which includes the perpetuation of the cycle of poverty that leads to crime in black communities.'

Where are your sources on this?

"I’m sure you and your conservatives frienss will do their best to discredit him about that too."

I more interested in watchin a football game than seeing a loser kneel because of some "Inequality" even though he gets more money than the average black man in America. It really wouldn't affect me, i have zero respect for him, if he should protest something, then he should be protesting the REAL problems, not rare events.
    George_Horse

Bob Barr
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    @Nathaniel_B I try not to get too upset, but it just happens to make me nuts. It is extremely sad they would even consider putting such a sorry chump up for their advertising, and I can only imagine how INSANE the left would be if Trump were featured on a similar brand in the same style. 
    Nathaniel_B

@George_Horse they consider it because it generated increased sales. Trump endorsements generate lower sales. Free market hurts doesn't it
    Nathaniel_B
    @George_Horse Man my friends would lose it!  :joy: I'd still probably buy the shoes, my excuse is: "I'm just buyin shoes dawg, I ain't support no Donald Trump!" 
    George_Horse

Bob Barr