frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Suicide is not a crime

Debate Information

Suicide isn't a crime. It's an option 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• whiteflamewhiteflame 689 Pts   -  
    The opposite statement is a truism. Suicide is illegal in many parts of the world, and in most places where it is legal, assisted suicide and euthanasia are not, which means that there are legal limitations on how one can seek out methods to commit suicide medically. 

So I don't think that was meant to be your topic. Based on your first statement, your topic probably should have been "Suicide should not be a crime", though it's not clear what facets you're supporting. Are you supporting the individual choice to commit suicide, or are you supporting medical interventions that come with assisted suicide/euthanasia? The topic is so broad that it encompasses a great deal of issues, so I'd just like to narrow it down if possible.
  • JoesephJoeseph 667 Pts   -  
    Suicide to me should not be deemed a crime ,if someone wishes to end their life fine it’s their life and should  be their choice alone 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    Suicide is the highest expression of individual freedom and bodily autonomy. While a pretty illogical choice (there is nothing to be gained from ending one's own life, and everything to be lost), ultimately it is up to the individual to decide if their life should end or not. The government cannot prevent the individual from forfeiting their own life willingly, since that life is not its property.

I also believe that ending another person's life should be legal given the existence of a consensual contract. Specifically, an individual should be able to sign a contract with me that demands that I end the individual's life by the specified means (essentially a generalized case of euthanasia). Again, since the person's life is their property and their property alone, they have a full freedom to consensually request the demolition of that property.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    I'm surprised to see so many people in support of suicide in general, even outside of cases of euthanasia. I fully support a person's decision to commit suicide. The common criticisms are you are weak and selfish for choosing suicide. I argue that you are actually quite strong as you are making a choice, that will permanently change everything. It's quite difficult to make that choice and follow through with action. Those that deem suicide as selfish are actually the selfish ones. They would rather you continue to suffer with mental or physical illness, just so they don't have to deal with the loss of your life. They talk you out of suicide not for you, but for themselves. The list of people who will try to talk you out of suicide is quite long, with lots of "I care." The list of people who would be committed to action to help alleviate your suffering if you decide to live is quite short.
    Plaffelvohfen