frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is America the greatest country on earth?

Debate Information

Patriotic Americans tend to not see the huge problems America faces, however I don't think any country is as powerful as the United States
  1. Live Poll

Is America the greatest country on earth?

24 votes
    1. Yes
      45.83%
    2. No
      54.17%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    No, America is not the best country in the world.

That award goes to Switzerland
    George_HorsecheesycheeseDebater123CYDdharta
  • AMERICA F*CK YEAH!
    COMIN AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERF*CKIN DAY YEAH
    AMERICA F*CK YEAH
    FREEDOM IS THE ONLY WAY YEAH
    TERRORISTS YOUR GAME IS THROUGH,
    CAUSE NOW YOU HAVE TO ANSWER TO
    AMERICA, F*CK YEAH!
    SO LICK MY BUTT AND SUCK ON MY BALLS
    AMERICA, F*CK YEAH!
    WHATCHA GONA DO WHEN WE COME FOR YOU NOW
    IT’S THE DREAM THAT WE ALL SHARE
    IT’S THE HOPE FOR TOMORROW
    (F*CK YEAH!)
    Zombieguy1987George_HorsecheesycheesethegodemperorDebater123JGXdebatePRO
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    Christmas island is
    cheesycheeseZombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    It is really up to the individual preference. To me, the US is the best country in the world to live in (Switzerland is a strong contestant in terms of quality of life, however, in terms of world impact it is nowhere close).

We have everything. We have climates to every taste, we have 50 states with different legal systems, cultures and traditions to choose from, we have the best technological, scientific, cultural and political organizations/companies/people in the world. We have the strongest job market in the world and one of the freest markets in the world, letting everyone utilize their whole potential to build a very successful career or business. We have one of the highest cultural and ethnic diversities in the world. Our influence is felt everywhere in the world, aside from maybe North Korea and Eritrea. Living in the US is literally standing at the roof of the world and looking down on everyone else.

No country is without flaws, and you bet the States have plenty. However, I would not change this country for any other, unless I had a very-very-very-very-very good reason to (such as an unbelievably good long-term job offer). This is where I belong. I could immigrate just about anywhere with my education, but I chose the United States of America, and never did I regret my decision for a second.
    George_HorseApplesauce
  • JoesephJoeseph 652 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    I lived in the U S many years ago and enjoyed it , but what  makes a country great or the greatest ?

I deal with Americans daily in a business way where I live and they come from every part of the U S many do indeed think the U S is a great country but many also think it’s going to Hell in a handcart .

Blind patriotism is ridiculous the measure of how great a country is should be in the way it treats its citizens , I have free healthcare , I pay only 1per cent tax as I have artists status which rewards me for creating Art , I have access to free higher education , social welfare and housing if needed also every citizen of my country is guaranteed a state pension along with any private pension they may have .

A lot of Americans think greatness is measured by how strong your military or how patriotic you are , in fairness there’s nothing wrong with thinking you live in the greatest country in the world but others from different countries also feel the very same 

Polaris95CYDdharta
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    When you think about it, America genuinely is not the greatest country when you break it down to the little things. America worries about the pettiest things that go on within the country when they should be dealing with more world problems and helping people in need. Also, it should be noted that it matters a lot about preference. For example, if you like a very populated country that has a lot of landmarks and places to see and a lot of people whereas some might like to live a quiet life within America or some country. Personally, I think the UK could be one of the best countries. Even though I have never lived there (But have visited) I believe it could rank at the top. There are small towns, like Surbiton and towns that are on the outside of actual London. However, if you want that busy city life then you can live in London. There's also a lot to do and many opportunities.
    CYDdharta
    @averyapro

The UK is awesome, but it does have its flaws. For one, the salaries coupled with the tax system really flatten the income distribution. I know that in my profession, after a couple of decades of experience, I will be getting 2-3 times as much net income in the US as I would in the UK. The UK is great for people with average or below average income, who have a cheap or free access to healthcare, education, state housing assistance, etc. - but not as much for those who aim for more.

As far as the ability to realize one's potential goes, the US nowadays is simply unrivaled. There are no Jobs, Musks, Brins, Gates or Zuckerbergs anywhere outside the US, and for a good reason. However, it is not in everyone's view that this aspect makes the country the great (or, at least, significantly contributes to its greatness).
    averyapro
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    I don't think there's an objective answer to this, it all depends on preference, and what criteria we're basing the question on. Personally, I think Germany is a very good country in many ways, but I wouldn't say it's the best. I also really like Spain as a country, but it also has its problems. The US is also very good in many ways, but not in all of them. Healthcare is a big problem in the US for example.
    beckysmith
  • Saying any couuntry is the best in the world is a lie it’s a bit like saying your favourite colour is the best replace america is the best with I would like to live in america
    Zombieguy1987
    @cheesycheese ;
    There are countries that are objectively good and bad.
    North Korea is objectively bad because it's run by a leader who only cares about his "Glorious" military and nukes. The infrastructure is awful, no one has health care, education is god awful because it's just "North Korea good! America bad!", and the people are starving. Anyone who says it's the best country is either insane or used for propaganda.

Switzerland is objectively good because it has the most freedom in the world. It has better infrastructure, Free Healthcare, Better education etc.  
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Zombieguy1987
    How can something be objectively bad or good?
    Zombieguy1987
  • missmedicmissmedic 43 Pts   -  
    America is the fattest country
    beckysmithZombieguy1987
    @Nope ;
    Oh, I don't know.... maybe looking at good/bad it is.

Being fat is objectively bad because it negatively affects your health and body.

Using renewable resources is objectively good because they're cheaper and have little to no negative impact on the environment.

Just like North Korea. The government is cruel, and don't care about its population, which is starving. The conditions are very, very, very poor. They threaten world peace y threatening to nuke Japan, South Korea, and the U.S. So, after this conclusion, North Korea is objectivley bad compared to other countries

• George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    AMERICA F*CK YEAH!
    COMIN AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERF*CKIN DAY YEAH
    AMERICA F*CK YEAH
    FREEDOM IS THE ONLY WAY YEAH
    TERRORISTS YOUR GAME IS THROUGH,
    CAUSE NOW YOU HAVE TO ANSWER TO
    AMERICA, F*CK YEAH!
    SO LICK MY BUTT AND SUCK ON MY BALLS
    AMERICA, F*CK YEAH!
    WHATCHA GONA DO WHEN WE COME FOR YOU NOW
    IT’S THE DREAM THAT WE ALL SHARE
    IT’S THE HOPE FOR TOMORROW
    (F*CK YEAH!)
    MCDONALD's! 

F*CK YEAH!

Zombieguy1987Debater123VVSvic
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    So many people would rather come here than anywhere else. I say that we are the greatest country on Earth, but no country is completely perfect. 
    beckysmithZombieguy1987VVSvic
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • beckysmithbeckysmith 34 Pts   -  
    So many people would rather come here than anywhere else. I say that we are the greatest country on Earth, but no country is completely perfect. 
    I do agree that it is the greatest country on earth, but its not as great as people praise it to be. And to he honest, the reason why foreigners want to go to the United States so bad is because it is advertised as "the greatest country on earth" and "the land of opportunity". Its marketing at its finest. Like for example, if you google Africa you will see dirt roads, animals, poverty, war etc. (only the bad parts), if you google the United States, you see professional photography of landmarks, tourist sites, beautiful infrastructure, money etc (the best parts). 
    Zombieguy1987CYDdhartaGeorge_Horse
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    @beckysmith ;

The US does not need marketing, as its economical opportunities and the overall quality of life speak for themselves.

I think that, in contrary, many Americans take for granted what they have here, criticizing the most minor things ("First World problems") and not being able to see the bigger picture.

The US is truly a great country. If only people took their heads out of yellow press and social media, looked at things calmly and asked themselves, "Okay, where do we stand in year 2018?" - they would be able to appreciate what this country has to offer. It has flaws, oh yes it does, countless flaws - but while justly criticizing and pointing those flaws out, it is still important to realize where things stand.

---

That said, all developed democracies are great places to be. The US, the UK, Switzerland, Japan, Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Australia, Canada, Belgium, Italy - you can absolutely live a very happy life in either of these, without needing for much more.
    George_Horse
  • beckysmithbeckysmith 34 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    @beckysmith ;

The US does not need marketing, as its economical opportunities and the overall quality of life speak for themselves.

I think that, in contrary, many Americans take for granted what they have here, criticizing the most minor things ("First World problems") and not being able to see the bigger picture.

The US is truly a great country. If only people took their heads out of yellow press and social media, looked at things calmly and asked themselves, "Okay, where do we stand in year 2018?" - they would be able to appreciate what this country has to offer. It has flaws, oh yes it does, countless flaws - but while justly criticizing and pointing those flaws out, it is still important to realize where things stand.

---

That said, all developed democracies are great places to be. The US, the UK, Switzerland, Japan, Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Australia, Canada, Belgium, Italy - you can absolutely live a very happy life in either of these, without needing for much more.
    Yes, I never said that the US isn't a great place and I think that Americans don't take what they have for granted. People complain a lot, but theres a reason Americans stay in America. That speaks for itself. But when you travel overseas and talk to any foreigner about the United States, they know nothing but the good things about America. As an American, I've lived outside America for a lot of my life and every single foreigner I've talked to about America has never told me something bad about America. Nearly every foreigner still believes it's this perfect land with no problems. Aside from foreigners, many patriotic Americans have the same ideology. "America is the greatest" "Land of the free" etc. 

Marketing doesn't have to be something very generic like a Facebook Ad or a billboard, but America advertises itself through the ideology that it is great - which it is, but all i'm saying is its not perfect.
  • JoesephJoeseph 652 Pts   -  
    @beckysmith

You say ......early every foreigner still believes it's this perfect land with no problems. Aside from foreigners, many patriotic Americans have the same ideology. "America is the greatest" "Land of the free" etc. 

My reply .....I don’t accept that as a European , and no one I know thinks America is perfect far from it especially since Trump became the head honcho .

I never got that expression either “ the land of the free “ 
    Zombieguy1987
    @beckysmith ;

I have been in many places, and, honestly, I have never met anyone who would be 100% positive about the US. When you just have some small talk with someone in Europe or Asia, surely they will be praising the US - but that is just an international etiquette; you also would not tell a French tourist that his country is severely flawed. Get closer to any person, and you will hear quite a bit of criticism, if you make it clear that you are okay with talking honestly about these things.

That said, aside from countries with severely brainwashed population such as North Korea or Iran, the majority of people do have a solid overall positive opinion on the US - or, at least, on the quality of life the country provides. And that is something that should come as no surprise: objectively the US, indeed, is the richest country in the world.
  • NonEvilSlimeNonEvilSlime 13 Pts   -  

I agree with you. I'm an American citizen yet America faces so many problems especially today, that it makes it difficult to say it's the greatest country on Earth. I do love America, how we can be so innovative and create good businesses like Amazon or Intel, or Microsoft. Though we also face some serious problems like many mass shootings, racism, a huge income gap between upper and lower class, etc.
    Zombieguy1987CYDdharta
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    America isn't even the greatest country in North America.
    Zombieguy1987piloteerthegodemperorPlaffelvohfenCYDdharta
    @NonEvilSlime

There is no country on Earth that does not face countless problems, and there probably never will be. The US is the #1 destination of immigrants all around the world, and for a good reason: this is one of the few countries in which there is very little limit for personal growth, and everyone can realize their potential. Other immigrant heavens - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, etc. - all have implemented systems making it very hard for anyone to truly succeed and raise above the general middle class.
    Switzerland and Singapore are the only two other countries I can think of that rival the US in this regard - but Switzerland is incredibly hard to immigrate to and to get on your feet with a low starting capital, and Singapore politically is a dictatorship, with unclear perspectives in the next couple dozen years.

I personally am starting to lean towards moving to Australia next summer, as the US is too cold a country for me - I have always been a heat lover. But Australian society has its... issues. I never will feel truly belonging there in this regard, as I do here.

That said, all First World countries today offer incredibly high quality of life, and difference for the average citizen might not be as big as some might think. A French middle class person moving to the US probably will not notice much difference in his/her life, aside from the need to speak a different language. It is not the same as, say, moving from China to Iceland, where one would feel as if having arrived to a different star system.

Greatest, not greatest... It is one of the best, and finer assessment really depends on the personal preference.
    George_Horse