frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should minors be able to buy whatever toys they want with their money without asking parents?

Debate Information

If minors have money they recieved as gifts for their birthday and etc, should they be able to use it to buy whatever toys they want without asking their parents for permission?  
Or do parents still reserve the right to say “you have way too many toys” and these toys will distract you from schoolwork and etc.
  1. Live Poll

?

3 votes
    1. They should be able to - it’s their money
      33.33%
    2. No, parents should still approve and have full right to block
      66.67%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    I think the right to own property applies to everyone, including children. If a child has money that is rightfully theirs, then the parents should have no say in what the child does with that money. The parents could provide an advice and judgment, and could potentially revoke some of the further privileges they would otherwise grant their child - but saying, "No, you cannot buy this toy, you already have too many", would be a violation of the child's rights.

It is another matter that the stores themselves can also have certain policies, such as "We do not sell toys to children below the age of 12 without their parents' presence".
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar, according to this logic though minors should be able to buy unlimited distractions and parents wouldn’t have any controls over how much time their kids spend on video games and other etc. Many would say that it is responsibility of  parents  to ensure that  kids don’t get spoiled and focus on education.  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    @agsr ;

My opinion is that parents should be more of mentors and guides, than masters and lords. This is how my parents raised me, for example: I was free to do whatever I wanted with the money that I managed to obtain, but at the same time they would not give me everything I want just like that. They taught me the concepts of personal responsibility and self-reliance, while at the same time promoting the ideals of individual freedom and liberties regardless of age.

For example, they were okay with me playing a video game rated at 18+ when I was 4. What they were not okay with is me skipping my family responsibilities. They were not okay with me promising something in exchange for something else and not fulfilling the promise. If I really wanted some toy, they would probably buy it for me - but, at the same time, they would want me to do something in return. And if I agreed and then did not deliver, it was then that more or less forceful methods came in.