frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is there room for moderates in the Republican Party?

Debate Information

I am a right leaning moderate who is looking to vote in favor of religious liberty and other things.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    What do you mean by "moderate"? Moderate in what? To my taste, for example, the Republican Party is too much in favor of big government and regulations, because my standards are very different from most people - so the "moderate" point for me is completely different as well. Where is yours?

In general, there is a lot of people in the Republican party who follow the general mindset of the Founding Fathers with regards to views on liberty and economy. To name a few prominent ones: Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul... Extremists such as Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are a minority and a temporary anomaly that, beyond the success in the 2016 election, are unlikely to have any serious long-term influence on the party.

That said, the two major parties in the US have become too slow and overweight to be able to do politics effectively. And the minor parties are jokes full of incompetent people who joined them because nobody wanted to see them in the larger parties. So, when it comes to choosing who to vote for, I am afraid you are out of luck. The Republican party is probably your best bet, but it has many caveats.
  • KruenpiperKruenpiper 40 Pts   -  
    Yes...
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    What do you mean by "moderate"? Moderate in what? To my taste, for example, the Republican Party is too much in favor of big government and regulations, because my standards are very different from most people - so the "moderate" point for me is completely different as well. Where is yours?

In general, there is a lot of people in the Republican party who follow the general mindset of the Founding Fathers with regards to views on liberty and economy. To name a few prominent ones: Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul... Extremists such as Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are a minority and a temporary anomaly that, beyond the success in the 2016 election, are unlikely to have any serious long-term influence on the party.

That said, the two major parties in the US have become too slow and overweight to be able to do politics effectively. And the minor parties are jokes full of incompetent people who joined them because nobody wanted to see them in the larger parties. So, when it comes to choosing who to vote for, I am afraid you are out of luck. The Republican party is probably your best bet, but it has many caveats.

LOL, you complain about the Republican Party being too much in favor of big government and regulations, yet you support and even promote the establishment/RINO block, who are the worst offenders.  If you really want smaller government and fewer regulation you cannot support Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Marco Rubio, etc. and instead need to support Mark Meadows, Jim Jordan, Louie Gohmert, and the rest of the Freedom Caucus.

@ESVPrewrather - If there's enough room inside the GOP tent for MayCaesar and me, it's a big tent.  There's probably enough room for you as well.

• WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    I don't think there is room for moderates in either party. I think we need to split each party into at least three. America is a pathetic democracy in terms of representation. European democracies have so many more serious parties that compromise is required to do almost anything. In America I prefer a government where the executive and legislative branches are controlled by different parties. If we had more parties it would be easier to find the person that actually represents you rather than voting against the person that you dislike more. South park got it right, in America we have to decide between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.