frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

God is not real.

Debate Information

Please try to convince me that god is not real. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    imbrandon said:
    Well then, what proof is there that supports the existence of a god? I know for you, It is faith that makes you believe in a god, not any evidence of any kind that supports the existence of a god. 

Now for me to convince you, well at least try

We have the Bible, in this book is many stories, are they true? No they are not, they are fictional. Yes there are some historic events that are recorded in the Bible, but apart from the events, was there recorded evidence of a person named "Jesus Christ" who allegedly sacrificed his life to "save the sins of humanity"? And the flood? What evidence is there that shows that a humongous flood swept through the entire Earth? The Bible claims that the earth is 6000 years old, but trees and other things discovered by scientists prove otherwise. Not even LESS to 6000, but actually MORE than 6000, 4.543 billion years old! Don't be tryin my planet with that nonsense!  :joy: Why is it that when people pray, nothing happens? I could pray right now that people stop dying, but it won't happen. I could pray that I get a vacation tomorrow, but that won't happen either. You pray and pray, but nothing happens, so how do you REALLY believe in a god? You feel its presence? Why wouldn't a god, if he were truly loving and powerful, make the world a great place to live? No one dies, no bad people, everything was free, no disease, no wars, genocides, abortions, murders, and all those bad things. Why was it in the first story of the Bible, that it seems that the god was MAD at the two humans for gaining knowledge? Did it want humans to live without intelligence? Did it want humans to be ? If a god existed, our way of life would be much more different. If a god existed, we would not have the history we had, or live the way we live, everything would have been perfect according to the god. 
    Zombieguy1987Polaris95
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Making a compelling argument in support of something not existing is very difficult, if not impossible. For example, if I claim that there are no living T-Rexes on Earth right now, then to prove me wrong you will have to collect the data from every square meter of Earth's land coverage, as well as all the possible caves, all the possible mountains, every square meter in the ocean (what if T-Rexes are really good swimmers?), every square meter of air (maybe there is a T-Rex flying around our orbit and somehow surviving)... And we have not talked about possible existence of T-Rexes deep under the surface yet.

Instead, there are two philosophical principles that make such an undertaking unnecessary in order to understand how the world functions: Occam's Razor and Burden of Proof. The former claims that out of all the theories describing the known observable data, the one should be taken that features the minimal number of assumptions. The latter claims that if something has not been found, then it is reasonable to assume that it does not exist, and if we want to hypothesize that it does exist, then we must prove that it does and not the other way around.

In light of these principles, ask yourself: "Is there anything in this world that we know of that cannot be explained without introducing the concept of god?" And be honest trying to answer this question. Do not just account everything we do not understand completely or everything you personally do not understand completely to the God's influence. Try to research the things you have doubts about, look for evidence, skim through some popular science articles.

If you do this thoroughly, you will see that our models describe everything we know about the world pretty well, and they do not warrant the addition of any deities. Deities are for fiction stories, they do not seem to be a part of the actual world.

But aside from this, there is nothing we can tell you that will set your mind one way or the other. This is the kind of thing that you should arrive to by working on it on your own. If you do not believe in god, then there is no reason to change your mind. And if you do, then you can see how unfounded your belief is by just looking through real evidence and realizing that the Bible, the Quran and other writings are just fiction books, like many others, and should not be taken as anything holy or divine.
    Zombieguy1987
  • JoesephJoeseph 667 Pts   -  
    More than likely you do not wish to be convinced because when it comes to religious belief people will believe in the most ridiculous nonsense and never question the truth of it ,  to do so is way too uncomfortable and if it’s true this comforting illusion is gone forever 

From the start the statement “God is not real “ is correct as the definition of real is ....

..real1
    riːl/
    adjective
    1. 1. 
      actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

So this statement is correct which proves you have proven to yourself through your own statement the veracity of your words .
    Believers claim “god is real “ but yet this is where the first challenge lies because to claim such a thing means that their god exists but fulfills non of the criteria of existent things so the dishonesty begins as believers re -define the meaning of “real “ to include a supernatural entity as in god .

The whole argument then continues in this vein as every such challenge has the believer re -defining terms to suit his /her narrative .

You don’t want to be convinced otherwise this first step would be enough to get you thinking you may be wrong and you cannot bypass it unless you re -define the term “real “ to suit your narrative as I predict you will 
    Zombieguy1987Nathaniel_Bcheesycheese
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph
    Read the bible and don’t just flip through looking for unlikely things
    Nathaniel_BZombieguy1987
    @Joeseph
    Hmmmmmm that's interesting. Have you read ALL 1,200 pages of the bible? Because I'm sure he wouldn't want to waste his lifetime reading 1,200 pages of bullcrap, I'd rather read Harry Potter books. 
    Zombieguy1987
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

Bob Barr

imbrandon said:
    Well then, what proof is there that supports the existence of a god? I know for you, It is faith that makes you believe in a god, not any evidence of any kind that supports the existence of a god. 

Now for me to convince you, well at least try

We have the Bible, in this book is many stories, are they true? No they are not, they are fictional. Yes there are some historic events that are recorded in the Bible, but apart from the events, was there recorded evidence of a person named "Jesus Christ" who allegedly sacrificed his life to "save the sins of humanity"? And the flood? What evidence is there that shows that a humongous flood swept through the entire Earth? The Bible claims that the earth is 6000 years old, but trees and other things discovered by scientists prove otherwise. Not even LESS to 6000, but actually MORE than 6000, 4.543 billion years old! Don't be tryin my planet with that nonsense!  :joy: Why is it that when people pray, nothing happens? I could pray right now that people stop dying, but it won't happen. I could pray that I get a vacation tomorrow, but that won't happen either. You pray and pray, but nothing happens, so how do you REALLY believe in a god? You feel its presence? Why wouldn't a god, if he were truly loving and powerful, make the world a great place to live? No one dies, no bad people, everything was free, no disease, no wars, genocides, abortions, murders, and all those bad things. Why was it in the first story of the Bible, that it seems that the god was MAD at the two humans for gaining knowledge? Did it want humans to live without intelligence? Did it want humans to be ? If a god existed, our way of life would be much more different. If a god existed, we would not have the history we had, or live ththe way we live, everything would have been perfect according to the god. 
    Since when have christians denied that the earth is 4.5 billion years old you don’t understand us
    Nathaniel_BZombieguy1987
    cheesycheese said:
    Since when have christians denied that the earth is 4.5 billion years old you don’t understand us
    Isn't that said in the bible? That the earth is 6000 years old? Cmon man don't be ignorant with what is said in your book.
    Zombieguy1987

Bob Barr
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    imbrandon said:
    If God exists...

Then what created God?
    *Illuminati music plays* 
    cheesycheese said:
    Isn't that said in the bible? That the earth is 6000 years old? Cmon man don't be ignorant with what is said in your book.
    No it is not
    Zombieguy1987
    imbrandon said:
    If God exists...

Then what created God?
    *Illuminati music plays* 

Zombieguy1987

Bob Barr
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph
    Hmmmmmm that's interesting. Have you read ALL 1,200 pages of the bible? Because I'm sure he wouldn't want to waste his lifetime reading 1,200 pages of bullcrap, I'd rather read Harry Potter books. 
    I'd much rather read this:

Or this movie:

Then this book:

Because the first two aren't boring
    JoesephNathaniel_B
    @cheesycheese

But I have read the Bible twice actually as I was educated by/the Jesuit’s and come from a country that was devoutly Catholic in the past .

I bet you’ve never ever read the Bible. I also note with amusement you acknowledge one can flip through it and find unlikely things neglecting to say what they are , a talking serpent? Talking Donkey? Virgin birth?  A 1,000 year old man?  A zombie called Jesus? Noah’s Ark?  and we could go on and on maybe you should prefer people just to flip through it otherwise they will see and appreciate what a , contradictory pile of crap it is 

cheesycheeseZombieguy1987
    @Joeseph
    I'd much rather read this:

Or this movie:

Then this book:

Because the first two aren't boring
    That not an argument if your only point is my argument is boring and long
    Zombieguy1987Nathaniel_B
    Joeseph said:
    @cheesycheese

But I have read the Bible twice actually as I was educated by/the Jesuit’s and come from a country that was devoutly Catholic in the past .

I bet you’ve never ever read the Bible. I also note with amusement you acknowledge one can flip through it and find unlikely things neglecting to say what they are , a talking serpent? Talking Donkey? Virgin birth?  A 1,000 year old man?  A zombie called Jesus? Noah’s Ark?  and we could go on and on maybe you should prefer people just to flip through it otherwise they will see and appreciate what a , contradictory pile of crap it is 

Ok if the bible is so false then how do you exist without an intelligent creator
    @cheesycheese

I like to think my mother with help from my father were both fairly intelligent 
    Iamachristian
  • Can we please stay on topic?
  • Nathaniel B_ said: We have the Bible, in this book is many stories, are they true? No they are not, they are fictional. Yes there are some historic events that are recorded in the Bible, but apart from the events, was there recorded evidence of a person named "Jesus Christ" who allegedly sacrificed his life to "save the sins of humanity"? And the flood? What evidence is there that shows that a humongous flood swept through the entire Earth? The Bible claims that the earth is 6000 years old, but trees and other things discovered by scientists prove otherwise. Not even LESS to 6000, but actually MORE than 6000, 4.543 billion years old! Don't be tryin my planet with that nonsense!  joy Why is it that when people pray, nothing happens? I could pray right now that people stop dying, but it won't happen. I could pray that I get a vacation tomorrow, but that won't happen either. You pray and pray, but nothing happens, so how do you REALLY believe in a god? You feel its presence? Why wouldn't a god, if he were truly loving and powerful, make the world a great place to live? No one dies, no bad people, everything was free, no disease, no wars, genocides, abortions, murders, and all those bad things. Why was it in the first story of the Bible, that it seems that the god was MAD at the two humans for gaining knowledge? Did it want humans to live without intelligence? Did it want humans to be ? If a god existed, our way of life would be much more different. If a god existed, we would not have the history we had, or live the way we live, everything would have been perfect according to the god. 

Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
    Tell Me, if you have understanding.
    Who determined its measurements?
    Surely you know!

Why is it that when people pray, nothing happens?
     you probably mean't it for evil if it is not answered.

Where is the evidence that the earth is "4.543 billion years old"?

Why was it in the first story of the Bible, that it seems that the god was MAD at the two humans for gaining knowledge?
    They did not gain knowledge.

Genesis 3:2-6

2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ ”

4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings. 

Genisis 2:15-17
     15 Then the Lord God took [d]the man and put him in the garden of Eden to [e]tend and keep it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you[f] shall surely die.”

God clearly said to them to not eat the tree of good and evil.
    And none of the verses say they gained knowledge! That was just a name
    It was their decision.
    Satan tempted them, not forced them to eat it.
    Eve and Adam sinned against god.
    That's how sin entered the earth.

No they are not, they are fictional. Yes there are some historic events that are recorded in the Bible, but apart from the events, was there recorded evidence of a person named "Jesus Christ" who allegedly sacrificed his life to "save the sins of humanity"? And the flood?

No they are not, they are fictional. Yes there is a theory saying that there was a Big Bang, but apart from the events, was there anyone who saw the beginning of the Universe?

was there recorded evidence of a person named "Jesus Christ" who allegedly sacrificed his life to "save the sins of humanity"?

Yes.
    The crucifixion of Jesus occurred in 1st-century Judea, most likely between AD 30 and 33.- Wikipedia
    The body of a man buried in northern Italy 2,000 years ago shows signs that he died after being nailed to a wooden cross, the method used for the execution of Jesus described in the Christian Bible.-Live Science

The bible was written on scrolls before.
    One of The Oldest Bible scrolls was the Dead Sea Scrolls, which was found and dated around 2,000 years ago.- Wikipedia
    The first Biblical stories were passed down orally and only written down later by various authors. Most Biblical scholars believe the Book of Genesis was the first book to be written down. This would have happened around 1450 BC to 1400 BC. So perhaps about 3400 years or so ago.- Big Think 

I could pray right now that people stop dying, but it won't happen

God uses bad situations for good. A prayer is used to help you be closer to god. However, it also can't disrupt his plans for the future.

I could pray that I get a vacation tomorrow, but that won't happen either

That is like getting the pleasures a human want. A prayer is used to help you be closer to god, not get what a human wants for himself/herself.

• I've already made it plainly obvious.

An infinite chain of causes that are dependant on something else to exist, logically do not allow for anything to begin to exist therefore no one could have created God, Jesus Christ.

Anything that is effected by time, has not always existed such as

Matter
    The universe
    Biological and inorganic life

God's existence is nescesarry, therefore he is real and exists, otherwise we would not exist

Since we exist and God is nescesarry that we exist, he exists.

Simple.

Jesus is God.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @JesusisGod777888

"God's existence is necessary"

Oh really? I'm very curious about the evidences you have supporting this assertion... Care to share?
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "