frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should there be seatbelts on school buses?

Debate Information

I think it would be a waste of money as school buses are already safe enough and most schools are already on tight budgets. Not to mention all the buses that would be pulled out of commission
funpersoncheesycheese

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    Perhaps they should invest in plans for the future, but at the moment I don't think that's really necessary. I'm not even sure how many people take school buses. At least in my school in Germany most people take normal public transport. So I don't think seatbelts are necessary, and should be low on the list of priorities for schools.
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    The practice of seatbelts in buses exists in quite a few countries - but from my personal experience, those seatbelts tend to be very rarely, if at all, used. For example, in Japan, where I spent a total of half a year, I rode buses quite frequently, and only once did I see anyone use a seatbelt (anyone other than the driver, to be precise). 

A much better safety improvement, in my opinion, could be achieved by simply removing the special status from school buses. There is quite a few rules drivers have to abide by when driving near a school bus, the worst of all being having to stop on both sides of the road when the bus is unloading/loading in passengers: since not everybody follows that rule, in practice sudden stops catch the drivers by surprise and lead to a certain degree of chaos, as some slam the breaks, others try to pass despite anything, and others still do not know what they are supposed to do and act unpredictably.
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

When you think about it.

If you have a vehicle and the individuals inside of a vehicle are sitting loose in their seats and an accident occurs, the (driver has their seatbelt on), so those loose individuals are at a disadvantage, and when the vehicle gets involved in an accident, those loose individuals are going to be affected by the energy of the accident.

Say it drives off the side of a road, whether it's going to right, or to the left, or something maybe hits the vehicle head on, the loose occupants of that vehicle, they are going to be affected by that energy by colliding into the other loose individuals around them, or the very seats, floor, windows, or the walls of that vehicle. 

You have seatbelts in a car, minivan, limousine, airplane, and whatever other vehicles that might have seatbelts installed within their construction. 

The notion behind a vehicle (ie a bus) that transports kids from point a to b, would for some reason be exluded from the other vehicles, doesn't make much sense.
    Polaris95Zombieguy1987
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987

When you think about it.

If you have a vehicle and the individuals inside of a vehicle are sitting loose in their seats and an accident occurs, the (driver has their seatbelt on), so those loose individuals are at a disadvantage, and when the vehicle gets involved in an accident, those loose individuals are going to be affected by the energy of the accident.

Say it drives off the side of a road, whether it's going to right, or to the left, or something maybe hits the vehicle head on, the loose occupants of that vehicle, they are going to be affected by that energy by colliding into the other loose individuals around them, or the very seats, floor, windows, or the walls of that vehicle. 

You have seatbelts in a car, minivan, limousine, airplane, and whatever other vehicles that might have seatbelts installed within their construction. 

The notion behind a vehicle (ie a bus) that transports kids from point a to b, would for some reason be exluded from the other vehicles, doesn't make much sense.
    1. The amount of kids who die in the U.S due to a bus accident on average is 5 per year. That's ALOT safer than your average car source: https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/school-bus-safety

2. More kids die OUTSIDE of the school bus due to the size of the vehicle aka blindspots. in fact, 2/3 of all school bus deaths outside the bus are a result of blindspots

3. Because the government loves to waste all the money in the world on the military, this leaves public schools with very very VERY tight budgets, so if they spent money to put seatbelts, they'd need to slash salaries from employees, which led to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_teachers'_strikes_in_the_United_States and spend less on keeping the buildings up to date and school supplies etc.

4. Every. Single. Bus. Would need to be pulled out of service. Do you realize how bad that would be if a law passed nationwide that required all buses to have seatbelts? 

5. Overall, buses are far safer because they are intentionally easier to see as the eye catches yellow and black the fastest, and school buses are the only vehicles to have a yellow and black stripe paint job
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

You could create a poll addressing the parents across the country in how they view overall school bus safety? 

Seatbelts would make the students safer.

When you have a school bus in an accident, you've got students colliding with other students, or with other parts of the bus, risking injury or worse.

Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    From USA Today

"Fatal school bus accidents rare'

Some excerpts from the article

"That works out to about six passenger fatalities per year, said Ryan Gray, editor in chief of School Transportation News, an industry trade publication. Considering about 480,000 school buses cover an estimated 10 billion miles per year, on average, he said, "It shows you how rare the fatalities are.”

Still, school bus crashes draw attention because they involve children and "because, of course, they’re really one of the most recognizable vehicles on the road.”

Most often, he said, public outcry focuses on equipping school buses with seat belts. Houston officials said the bus involved in Tuesday's crash was purchased new in 2008 and that it had lap belts for students.

Gray noted that a similar crash involving a school bus that tumbled over an Alabama overpass in 2006 prompted Texas legislators to pass a measure requiring three-point seat belts, similar to those in passenger cars, on school buses. But, he said lawmakers didn't appropriate the funding required to reimburse school districts for the modifications. Some districts may have installed the three-point seat belts, but others did not."

Zombieguy1987
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB ;
    First of all. It won't let me add a poll so rip.
    2. Just because of ONE bus toppling over=spend an absurd amount of money on seatbelts which some critics have said could make school buses EVEN more dangerous!
    3. Ever heard of compartmentalization? Because that's how manufacturers are making buses safer. Yes, they didn't take into account side collisions, but you're more likely to be a collision where you're flung forward/backwards than a side collision 
    4. You used USA Today as a source and in that source, mentioned that SIX people die in school bus accidents each year! Compared to 30,000 people who die in car accidents EACH year! Inserting seatbelts would be a waste of time and resources to handle the real issues on the road source: https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/statecosts/index.html

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

When people are in a car accident,  how often in the news do you hear anyone complaining about not wearing or not having a seatbelt that likely saved their lives?

But if someone wasn't wearing a seatbelt and they got propelled from the vehicle and died in the process, it gets pointed from time to time.

Because the message is, wearing a seatbelt can save your life. 

I highly doubt that if you asked the parents across the country, if they would turn down having seatbelts installed in the busses across the country?

Again, seatbelts save lives.

Zombieguy1987
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    @TTKDB ;
    First of all. It won't let me add a poll so rip.
    2. Just because of ONE bus toppling over=spend an absurd amount of money on seatbelts which some critics have said could make school buses EVEN more dangerous!
    3. Ever heard of compartmentalization? Because that's how manufacturers are making buses safer. Yes, they didn't take into account side collisions, but you're more likely to be a collision where you're flung forward/backwards than a side collision 
    4. You used USA Today as a source and in that source, mentioned that SIX people die in school bus accidents each year! Compared to 30,000 people who die in car accidents EACH year! Inserting seatbelts would be a waste of time and resources to handle the real issues on the road source: https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/statecosts/index.html

Lap belts really won't do much for side impacts anyway.

@TTKDB Limos may or may not have seat belts.  A more comparable vehicle is a Greyhound type bus, which don't have them.
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    If this website offered a Polling section as a part of it's dynamic.

I think that it would enhance the experience. 
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

When people are in a car accident,  how often in the news do you hear anyone complaining about not wearing or not having a seatbelt that likely saved their lives?

But if someone wasn't wearing a seatbelt and they got propelled from the vehicle and died in the process, it gets pointed from time to time.

Because the message is, wearing a seatbelt can save your life. 

I highly doubt that if you asked the parents across the country, if they would turn down having seatbelts installed in the busses across the country?

Again, seatbelts save lives.

But at what cost?

As I said, schools in the U.S are already poorly funded, so taking millions of school buses off to the just to seat belts that might even work as @CYDdharta said. Besides, 6 people die each year in school bus accidents!!! They're already safe! 

Instead of focusing on an unimportant issue, why not try to you know... reduce the number of fatalities in car accidents, because you can't say "6 people dying in bus accidents are worse than 30,000 who die each year in car accidents"
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

What is your forum about?

This? 

"Instead of focusing on an unimportant issue, why not try to you know... reduce the number of fatalities in car accidents, because you can't say "6 people dying in bus accidents are worse than 30,000 who die each year in car accidents" 

Or this? 

"Should there be seatbelts on school buses?

I think it would be a waste of money as school buses are already safe enough and most schools are already on tight budgets. Not to mention all the buses that would be pulled out of commission."

Zombieguy1987
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

This? 

"Instead of focusing on an unimportant issue, why not try to you know... reduce the number of fatalities in car accidents, because you can't say "6 people dying in bus accidents are worse than 30,000 who die each year in car accidents" 

Or this? 

I think it would be a waste of money as school buses are already safe enough and most schools are already on tight budgets. Not to mention all the buses that would be pulled out of commission."

Sooooooooooooooooo...

Giving my argument on why school buses shouldn't have seatbelts turns into

This? 

Or this? 

apparently, you A. misread what I typed or (the more logical one seeing as you make the most ridiculous claims since Erfisflat) are lying and trying to avoid defending yourself
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

I created a poll.

You created your forum, I was just reacting to it.