frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Debate club vs Chess Club - what’s better for kids?

Debate Information

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-brooklyn-debate-stars-20181110-story.html?outputType=amp

Unlikely Brooklyn middle school debaters best in the five boroughs — and maybe in the USA

That’s a pretty inspiring story about benefit of debate club for kids.  

I also see good benefits of kids learning to play chess.  Which one would you choose?
  1. Live Poll

What is better for kids

10 votes
    1. Debate Club
      50.00%
    2. Chess Club
      50.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    I was a member of a chess club as a kid for a few years, and I can confidently say that chess played a very large influence on development of my intelligence and taught me logical thinking. In chess, your biases do not matter: if your play is poor, then the consequences will be inevitable and obvious, and you will not be able to wiggle your way out of it by twisting facts and employing logical fallacies. If you lose, then you lose, and that is the end of the debate.

Debate clubs can develop one's ability to make a persuasive argument, but it hardly will play a very significant role on the ability to come up with a logical argument in the first place. Which is more important: the ability to make a logical argument, or the ability to make a persuasive argument? Both have their use, but the former obviously is more healthy for the nation, while the latter is more beneficial for the individual - at the expense of everyone affected by it.

As such, I vote for the chess club.
    agsr
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    I was a member of both. I can genuinely say both is the right answer here.

Debate Club teaches you so much about social intelligence (including how to charm/ and impress judges while simultaneously disgusting and intimidating your opponent all the way back to the basics of working well with your team, building morale etc). It does it in a way no sport or other club can because it is so verbal and persuasive-based all the way through in every element of what the club is (persuading the school to even host the club etc). 

Chess club teaches you the opposite. How to have raw tenacity in the face of introverted pricks who want nothing more than to play a boring game that they know more than you about and keep you as their slave. You can quit the club, run away, or you can stick it out get real grit and brutally push your IQ instead of EQ in a way that no other club will enable you to do.

I disliked the people at chess club, learned a lot from it. I liked the people at debate club, learned even more from it.

Debate club wins in my eyes but trust me, chess club (if your school has one) gives you a raw gangster grit and 'macho' intelligence that no other club can give you. It will make you a proper warrior, not nonsense like American Football club.
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    I was a member of both. I can genuinely say both is the right answer here.

Debate Club teaches you so much about social intelligence (including how to charm/ and impress judges while simultaneously disgusting and intimidating your opponent all the way back to the basics of working well with your team, building morale etc). It does it in a way no sport or other club can because it is so verbal and persuasive-based all the way through in every element of what the club is (persuading the school to even host the club etc). 

Chess club teaches you the opposite. How to have raw tenacity in the face of introverted pricks who want nothing more than to play a boring game that they know more than you about and keep you as their slave. You can quit the club, run away, or you can stick it out get real grit and brutally push your IQ instead of EQ in a way that no other club will enable you to do.

I disliked the people at chess club, learned a lot from it. I liked the people at debate club, learned even more from it.

Debate club wins in my eyes but trust me, chess club (if your school has one) gives you a raw gangster grit and 'macho' intelligence that no other club can give you. It will make you a proper warrior, not nonsense like American Football club.
    how are introverts inferior
    @cheesycheese Inferior at situations with many people involved? I can explain how, if you want.
  • PotterWatchPotterWatch 41 Pts   -  
    This was a really tough question. Both are really good for kids, but I had to choose one. So I chose Chess club. Allow me to explain.

I chose chess club because yes, while debating does teach kids how to provide valid, civil arguments, as well as teach them to do their own research, it doesn't teach them one of the major parts of debate. Logical thinking. Chess club teaches kids to look at the current situation and information they have, then use that knowledge to help them advance in their game. If you don't know how to use logical thinking, then your debates are bound to be biased and unreasonable at times, which just makes you look bad.
    This was a really tough question. Both are really good for kids, but I had to choose one. So I chose Chess club. Allow me to explain.

I chose chess club because yes, while debating does teach kids how to provide valid, civil arguments, as well as teach them to do their own research, it doesn't teach them one of the major parts of debate. Logical thinking. Chess club teaches kids to look at the current situation and information they have, then use that knowledge to help them advance in their game. If you don't know how to use logical thinking, then your debates are bound to be biased and unreasonable at times, which just makes you look bad.
    I feel like debating will be more important since you don't play chess every day but you debate every day
    @cheesycheese Inferior at situations with many people involved? I can explain how, if you want.
    https://www.debateisland.com/discussion/3007/introverts-or-extrovert
    thats garbage introverts are better at making public speeches not because of natural talent to be loud but because they convince people with logic rather than emotion introverts may make more monotone speeches but they plan their insecurity leads them to constantly rehearse and work to make it as good as they can the problem is people don't listen to an introvert if their speech is monotone so they listen to a less logical extrovert but are more drawn to them because of their charisma people voted for trump not because he is logical but because he is passionate the best public speakers are insecure enough to make their speech as good as they can but are confident enough to have good eye contact and emotion
    @cheesycheese do you want me to elaborate?
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    Both clubs are beneficial, they are in a sense equal to each other. 
  • funpersonfunperson 66 Pts   -  
    Chess teaches you to think ahead and consider the consequences of your moves. It can also improve your working memory and problem-solving skills. Those are all qualities needed for a good debate. But with chess, you can extend those skills elsewhere too.