frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

In this Debate

Men living in the United States should not legally marry

Debate Information

1. You don't need marriage to show you love someone, and you certainly shouldn't if you expect a healthy, peaceful, and happy relationship. 

2. Remember that marriage causes a major negative financial impact. You are legally responsible for your spouses bills and debts, and that is LITERALLY what marriage is. Not only this, but divorce laws are designed to reward and incentive women to/for divorcing. Half of all marriages will end in divorce too and around 80% of all divorces are initiated by women.

3. Before you mutter "Prenups", remember it is an AGREEMENT, nothing can guarantee that she will agree to it and in some places a court can overturn the agreement if a child is involved in their marriage.

Related image

I await for a rebuttal that will probably consist of "Misogynist", or if Piloteer finds this thread, the old as time SilverfishGoldNova joke.

Zombieguy1987
I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -   edited November 2018
    Your arguments 2 and 3 only really apply to the community property states, and only 9 states out of 50 in the US have this awful system in place. In all other states, unless you specifically agree to share some of the property with your spouse, you own everything you own, and your partner owns everything they own, so divorce simply ends up with a signature and with no rewards to either side. The only exception to this would be the case where the couple has a child; in this case the one who takes the child may be eligible for child support from the former partner - which is ridiculous, in my opinion, but that is how it works.

Even so, they are questionable. I have not seen any hard evidence that the divorce laws favor women in any way. In practice women tend to get more out of divorces simply because the average woman's wealth is lower than the average man's wealth, and since the marital property division tends to be somewhat equal, statistically women get more. There are plenty of cases where a poor man divorces a rich woman and just as well gets a large chunk of her former wealth.

Your argument 1 is fully in line with my opinion as well. I do not even think government-recognized marriage should be a thing; marriage is a relic of old religious days, where in order to insure societal stability such a permanent arrangement was introduced and encouraged.
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNovaPolaris95

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
67%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments