frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do people have the right to a free college education?

Debate Information

I say no. I think people have the right to graduate high school or get their GED for free, but they don't have the right to a free college education.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    No, a college education should be earned and paid for. 
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB I agree. I need my money for my own things, not to send someone to med school.
  • It would help greatly if you would clarify if you are talking human Right, Constitutional Right, United State Constitutional Right?

• As principle explanation itself creates a right, the dependence on which direction you are facing to this type instruction has the greatest argument that by simple right we make a square, and although it is all straight lines to our view, it still shares a united state with a circle in where we end here we start.

• No. College is not free because A, our government has no money to pay for it, and B, if you’re so broke that you can’t pay for college you can just not attend, get a scholarship, or get a loan.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    Interesting how capitalists claim that the world is fair under capitalism but don’t care that rich children go to university without a scolarship
  • McSlothMcSloth 35 Pts   -  
    Education is one of the best investments a country can make, countries with higher levels of college graduates do better in almost every metric. They see lower crime rates, lower rates of teenage pregnancy, higher average income, higher levels of reported happiness, etc. By making higher education free or even cheaper, everyone is able to share in these benefits (1) (2).
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6019 Pts   -  
    Education system not based on the principles of market competition has no incentives to innovate and improve. There is a reason that out of 200 top world's universities, over a half are private and all located in one country: Harvard or MIT, driven by the competition and business goals, depend on the quality of the education they provide - while some public university from France is only dependent on the current mood of the bureaucrats assigned to work on the education it provides.

In general, educated population is better than non-educated population. However, population educated by universities of poor quality can actually be even worse off, than a population that did not have pseudo-scientific ideas instilled in it. And we all know how much regard politicians have for actual science.

The best system, hence, is the one where colleges are private and affordable. And that is how it works in the US: you just take a loan at a credit union, get your education and then pay back once you get a well-paying job. And you can avoid having to do even that if you have worked hard when in high school and secured private funding of your education.

Feynman, Nobel laureate and the father of Quantum Field Theory, was right when he said that the less the government puts its paws into education and science, the better. Private market deals with the related issues very effectively, while the bureaucratization and nationalization of this field tends to lead to nothing but problems. Sure, education becomes more affordable - but, at the same time, there is little value in that education left.