frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

What is wrong with being a semi-pacifist

Debate Information

Semi-Pacisfism: Beliveing that starting violence is wrong, but will use violence for self defense
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    This depends on whether self-defense includes preventive offense, or not. Sometimes you know that the offence is coming - for example, it was pretty obvious in mid-1930-s that Germany and Japan would start trying to conquer the world pretty soon - the first strike can prevent it from occurring. It is technically still an offense, but it is an offense with the purpose of self-defense.

Other than that, this interpretation of semi-pacifism seems to be the way to go.
    Zombieguy1987ZeusAres42

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it other than that little detail MayCaesar mentioned. Let me share this quote from one of Sting's songs since it is relevant: "A gentleman will walk but never run."
  • OppolzerOppolzer 191 Pts   -  
    Non-violence is optimal to the solution of a dispute. Although, it may not be the ideal approach to a malicious or dangerous threat. Sometimes pacifists take non-violence to an extreme level, in which they appear absurd or senseless. Hawks (opposite of a pacifist), on the other hand,  tend to resort to violence way too rapidly. It may also appear as an automatic reaction of a conflict, which could contingently be dangerous.
    We have hawks and pacifists in our society, but it would be better if everyone were pacifists.
    Zombieguy1987
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    I think it's a little shallow to believe that we can categorize ourselves as "pacifists" or "warriors". Of course there are those who'll pull the gloves off at the drop of a hat, and those who will "turn the other cheek" until they're dead, but the majority of us are more nuanced than that. We can hem and haw about what we "believe" when it comes to confrontation, but when it we're actually in one, we never really know how we'll react until it's over. I would love to believe that I'm a pacifist, but sometimes our "beliefs" aren't with us in the heat of the moment.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    Not a darn thing. I am a semi-pacifist for religious reasons.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    By the very definition of pacifism you can't use self defense. 

Pacifist- a person who believes that war and violence are unjustifiable.

So semi-pacifist is a fairly hollow term. You believe violence is unjustifiable, except when it is justified. It doesn't actually help to define your beliefs and views, you have to explain that you think only self defense is ok when you use the term, so don't use the term and instead just explain your views. By labeling yourself as a semi-pacifist you are opening a door for people to make assumptions about your beliefs, based off their idea of what a pacifist is.

For example the talk about offensive self defense I would assume you wouldn't justify that due to being a pacifist. I mean how could you justify using violence against Japan before they actually attacked. Even if you are 99% sure they will I would think the semi pacifism in you to not attack first because if they hit that 1% chance that they wouldn't attack then you just created unnecessary unjustified violence.

However if you left off the pacifist part and said you don't like violence except for self defense it is much easier for me to believe that you would be okay with a first strike for self defense.
    Zombieguy1987