Being an athiest doesn't mean they lack morality - Page 4 - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com. The only online debate website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the leading online debate website. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is utilizing Artifical Intelligence to transform online debating.

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Being an athiest doesn't mean they lack morality
in Religion

124»

Arguments

• @piloteer

>Whether or not morality can be an authority because it's objective doesn't matter, because morality isn't objective,…

You choose what doesn't matter to you, and I'll choose what doesn't matter to me.

We are debating the nature of morality, thus, truths about morality, even philosophical ones, matter.

>…..and I've seen a complete lack of ability from anyone on this thread to be able to provide any evidence that demonstrates how morality is objective.

Comments that absolute usually mean the person making the comment has not thoroughly thought through the issue.

>That's kinda the problem with claims of something being objective, you gotta prove it by providing convincing evidence.

Evidence for concepts like “objective morality” will be logical. But logical evidence is often times better than empirical evidence. Do you have an idea what would satisfy you as evidence?

>There are no such things as assumed truths, or untouchable foundational principles that are left alone for the sake of making people comfortable.

>Everything deserves objective scrutiny, even "Gods laws". Leave us not forget that it was you who claimed that morality is objective, yet you've done nothing to even begin to prove it.

Untrue. You're just not so good with fine points. My argument was that the atheist's morality is NOT objective, not that morality IS objective. You just want me arguing the point you want. I make my own arguments thank you. 

Now I will say this, morality CAN be objective. But it also can NOT be objective. Whether morality is EVER objective is a different argument to the one I'm expounding here. If you want to make or challenge that argument, perhaps you should start a thread.

>You've made a claim that something is objective, but until you can provide convincing evidence of that, it's not objective, it's just a basele claim. 

OK. As my argument is not that morality IS objective, but that atheist's morality is NOT objective, I will leave it to the person making that claim to argue it.It just isn't me. 

>I can say that I agreed with the idea that morality cannot be an authority if it's not objective, but that point is moot until somebody demonstrates that morality is indeed objective.

That is why I asked you, what makes you think that morality would be authoritative if it was objective? 

>That ship won't ever leave the dock until you or anybody else can prove that morality is objective. And yes, you're right, I am pretty popular. Probably because of my endless charm and intoxicating beauty. 

Lol. I was born immune to charm, and delectable Mrs. Ethan has me covered on beauty, so I think I'll be safe.
    Zombieguy1987
  • "@ethang5

Just like your immunity to charm, you're also immune to making consistent arguments. Now all of the sudden you're not arguing that morality is objective. Should all of us here just disregard these statements you've made?

--- "The morality of a Christian though, is objective, and applies to everyone, regardless of what anyone thinks of it."----

----"Or maybe I'm saying Christians follow objective morality, and that objective morality applies to everyone. There exists only objective morality. Anything else is not morality."----

-----"But I can make an argument for objective morality based on logic, reason, and truth.Morality is not relative. Not if you know the definition of objective. But you undercut your own argument. The law is violated everyday even with it being an authority."----

Now that you're not arguing that morality IS objective, but that it CAN be objective, try and demonstrate when and where morality CAN be objective, then you'll have some more leverage for your claim that "the morality of a Christian is objective". 
    Zombieguy1987
  • @SilverishGoldNova The original Hebrew of Deuteronomy 22:28-29 does NOT refer to rape, as rapists are to be killed in other parts of the Torah. Furthermore, I feel safer as a woman with the Bible, than I do with the Quran, which tells husbands to rape and beat their wives. Grow a pair, and stand up to the REAL rape apologists.
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNova
  • @piloteer

Reality is not how things seem to you. I do believe morality is objective, but that was not what I was arguing here.

That would be like me saying your argument was that you are charming and reposting your comment that you were.

That would be silly.

As I told you, I argue what I like. I don't give one fig for what you want, and I don't feel obligated one bit to do what you want.

My argument was that the atheist's morality cannot be objective. It is not even morality. I have demonstrated that.

If you now want to switch to the different argument of whether morality is objective, answer my question. If you don't care to answer, then that indicates to me you don't care to discuss the issue.

Now, tell me why you agree that only an authoritative morality would be objective or stfu.

My point here has been made.
    Zombieguy1987
  • Suppose that I believe that killing is generally bad, because my personal moral compass says so. And you believe that killing is generally bad, because the Bible says so.

Now explain to me why my belief is not a moral, while yours is a moral. What makes our beliefs principally different?
    Zombieguy1987
  • @MayCaesar

>Suppose that I believe that killing is generally bad, because my personal moral compass says so. And you believe that killing is generally bad, because the Bible says so.

Untrue. Don't state other peoples position for them. It's dishonest. Christians also believe that killing is generally bad, but that belief is corroborated by authority of the bible. Remember, no one was born a Christian. Every Christian was once an atheist.

>Now explain to me why my belief is not a moral, while yours is a moral. What makes our beliefs principally different?

Your belief is your opinion. Your opinion is not morality. It is not objective. My belief is objective, as such, it can be a moral standard for everyone. Your "morality", as your personal opinion, can apply only to you.

My morality is objective, and therefore, authoritative. Yours is not.
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 1068 Pts
    edited February 13
    I asked you to explain why these things are as you claim they are, rather than reiterate how these things are. "Your belief is your opinion and mine is objective, because your belief is your opinion and mine is objective" - essentially what your argument comes down to.
    Zombieguy1987
  • piloteerpiloteer 185 Pts
    edited February 13
    @ethang5

Who's the adult at your house? I wanna speak with them. I don't think they made the best decision when they said that you could use the internet. We need to put a stop to this. NOW!!!!!
    Zombieguy1987
  • @piloteer

When you run out of anything to say, stop posting.

You obviously have the same opinion of your sense of humor as you do of your charm. You have neither.

You dodged the question. My world view needs no dodging. Focus more on building your logic and less on trying to be funny.

You're unintentionally already funny.

Zombieguy1987
  • @ethang5

I will continue posting just to annoy you. Stop fooling yourself, you've convinced nobody of anything and you've only demonstrated that you're incapable of demonstrating that morality is objective. When I challenged you on that, you tried changing your argument and saying that you weren't arguing that morality IS objective, even in light of the fact that you stated several times that you are. I wasn't trying to be funny in my last post because it's laughable that you don't think that everybody knows your just a 12 year old kid on a debate site and you don't actually understand how to debate. That's why I need to speak to the adult in your house to let them know that their are adults here who are trying to have a conversation and you're getting in the way of it. That's all you've done here. 
    Zombieguy1987
  • @ethang5 ;

Let us start from the very beginning. How do you define the words "objective" and "subjective"? What would separate an objective moral from a subjective moral?

I feel that your definition of these words is very different from how most people define them, and that leads to the mutual misunderstanding.
    Zombieguy1987