frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Sovereign Citizens

Debate Information

I’d like to first see if there are any on this site. And then I’d like them to explain to me why they don’t need a license to “travel” in a motor vehicle. And then finally explain why you cant just follow the laws of the US like the rest of us.
Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    That is the same question that is regularly asked of dissidents in places like North Korea or Cuba by their friends or relatives: "Why do you have to rebel against the regime? Why can you not just follow the rules like the rest of us?"

From some people's points of view, some of the rules/laws in the US are unreasonable and must be defied. I agree with them with regards to the license: the state should not regulate who can or cannot travel on the public roads in a legally owned vehicle. The state has its claws everywhere; it should leave people be.

That said, the way the Citizens go about it is counter-productive. You are not going to accomplish much by getting into arguments with random police officers, subsequently getting arrested. If you want to change the law, then you should use the political channels available, or demonstrate on the streets.

There are also some people who believe that the state should not exist at all; that laws are illegal naturally, because every individual is a free independent being. While I would like to live in a world in which this is how things work, the reality is that it is not going to happen any time soon. Defying the authority unconditionally is commendable, but it is a very impractical approach to life. The government is stronger than you, and if you pretend that it has no power over you and just do whatever you want ignoring the law, then you will quickly learn the hard way what prison life is like.
    Zombieguy1987Applesauce
  • @MayCaesar
    That is the single most intelligent Sovereign Citizen related response I have ever heard. Well done.
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    @AmericanFurryBoy

Did you actually think of what life would be like if it was how MayCaesar wants?

>every individual is a free independent being. While I would like to live in a world in which this is how things work,....

I was once trapped in Liberia in the 80's during one if It's coups. Every individual was a free independent being, and it was hell on earth.
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    @ethang5
    I didn’t say I agreed with him I said he had a good argument.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    @AmericanFurryBoy

>I didn’t say I agreed with him I said he had a good argument.

I know. I only asked if you had thought answer through. And you calling it a good argument did not imply that you had critically considered it.
  • Regardless of whether they say they are driving OR traveling, they are in fact operating a motor vehicle, and operation of a motor vehicle is NOT a right anywhere in the United States or its territories or possessions.
    Operation of a motor vehicle on public roadways is a PRIVILEGE extended only to law abiding persons of sufficient age and skill, and those criteria are subject to change at any time, thus a license is required so that law enforcement is able to determine if the individual's driving PRIVILEGE is valid.

The so called "sovereign citizen" DOES INDEED have a right to travel, but by means of something other than UNLICENSED personal operation of a motor vehicle on public roadways. 

In addition, the motor vehicle itself has NO rights whatsoever unless that vehicle is properly registered and is displaying a plate that indicates that it is. Operation of a private motor vehicle is a taxed activity, and the taxes are legally valid no matter what the opinion of the sovereign citizen happens to be.
    AmericanFurryBoy
    "The Left ones think I'm Right, the Right ones think I'm wrong."
    ---Leon Russell, "Magic Mirror"

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    YouTube is an educational plethora, in regards to the Sovereign Citizen movement, or ideological stance.
    AmericanFurryBoy